Re: [Calontam] Go/No-Go Judgement Call. How would you decide.

  • Hobbe
    Message 1 of 8 , May 29, 2008
      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder
      Lutre <Merry@...> wrote:

      > a candidate for the Darwin Award.

      "Honoring those who improve the species...by accidentally removing
      themselves from it!"

      If he shoots himself with an arrow, yeah - Darwin Award.

      If *you* shoot him because he wandered onto your unsafe range and
      surprised you - murder.

      Truth be told, the fence bothers me more than the fishermen.

      Since you said the range is closing soon, I'm going to shut up and
      ignore any more posts about this range. I hope passersby stay
      unpunctured and you stay unjailed.
      Message 2 of 8 , May 29, 2008
        It's ironic to me that you are saying pretty much exactly what I felt
        when the batting cage foundations began to be dug. I never liked the
        back fence but hadn't given it a lot of thought, but when they proposed
        putting the fence on the side to 'remedy' the danger created by putting
        the batting cages there it gave me cause to think how much I disliked
        and was uncomfortable with the back fence for the same reasons you've
        stated. I said exactly that at the CAA meetings and in discussions with
        others and I stopped shooting there myself for a while. When the range
        was pronounced safe by a qualified inspector I pretty much deferred to
        that person's expertise as having more sense than the uneasy feelings in
        my gut. I resumed shooting there and I'm a little ashamed to admit
        stopped giving it a lot of thought until recently. There has never
        been an incident in the couple years since the wall was put up along the
        side and while lack of incident does not mean safety, I've let that
        relax me about the issue, and I still think the expert may be correct.

        I've always been a little more uptight about some things than others and
        have basically taken it over time that I am perhaps _over_ cautious and
        that the positions of others show more _sense_, and I still think that
        is the case. I think the range is probably reasonably safe and
        certainly is setup in a way that the city (et al) is able to satisfy
        their insurance underwriters (I understand they insure themselves, but
        they still answer to other people who have actuary tables and other
        things that can decertify their insurance if they don't agree with their
        judgment). From that respect, the range is legal and archers and the
        city are fairly protected from liability unless they were acting in a
        blatantly dangerous fashion.

        I've always hated going behind that wall to retrieve arrows, and am
        grateful that I have not put one back there in many years and few if any
        of even our newest archers ever puts one back there. We post a spotter,
        you may be certain, to hold the range while someone is behind, but it
        still clenches my gut to realize that I'm there in no-man's-land and not
        visible from the line.

        For those discussing ranges, I think the picture I posted with the post
        is fairly explicit
        http://bramblethorne.org/NonAttachments/CAALayout.png Crummy yes, and
        possibly not entirely to scale, but the target locations and distances
        are marked. The image was made a couple of years ago when they broke
        ground on the cages and I think I've drawn the cages perhaps 10 yards
        too close in the drawing, but not with intent of being misleading.

        I've said in other posts that there are signs posted but there's been
        several suggestions of posting signs. I'll be more explicit. There
        are several orange signs on white pvc posts IIRC at the far end and
        behind the range. I think there are signs on the fences and I think
        there may be signs along the approach the Prius took to the place he
        parked (pretty much between the words "Brush & Trees" and the trees in
        the drawing I think). He certainly was able to see them from where he
        was and chose to ignore them. I'll have to check but I don't believe
        they included any 'official' things like city ordinance numbers or
        similar as I don't believe there's any city ordinances that apply.

        To the best of my knowledge, regardless of what the photos might imply,
        once he was in place to fish, he was well out of the danger zone of any
        rules SCA, Kingdom, or otherwise that I know of, though his vehicle was not.

        Our powers that be made the right call and I was trying to imply that
        w/o actually saying what call was made and hoping to get feedback from
        other archers. I ask hypothetical questions from time to time in this
        field and in others and I thought the opportunity of a 'real'
        hypothetical was too good to pass up. It certainly has generated
        traffic and I'd like to believe that others have found the discussion as
        interesting as I have. As you all have seen, there are many different
        opinions on the situation. I have absolute faith in the decision making
        abilities of those who actually did make the decision in the real-life
        situation. I won't say who it was, but an earthy person of my
        acquaintance made me familiar with a phrase at dinner after the event
        that I don't think I've ever heard before... "Opinions are like ____,
        Everybody's got one."

        --

        // Merry