Thoughtful Memorial Day

  • Carl (checking home mail from work)
    Message 1 of 1 , May 28, 2000
      Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

      > > On this day of picnics & the 'Indy' let us pause a moment to give
      > > thanks to all of the Vets for which this day was intended.
      >
      > Erm... My calendar says "Memorial Day" this weekend with
      > "Veterans Day" on 11/11... ;)

      Hmmm.
      Memorial Day is about the ones who died in our country's wars.
      Which I guess keeps most of them from being 'veterans' in the dictionary
      sense of the word:

      (from: http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionary )
      Main Entry: vet·er·an
      Pronunciation: 've-t&-r&n, 've-tr&n
      Function: noun
      Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long
      experience, from
      veter-, vetus old -- more at WETHER
      Date: 1509
      1 a : an old soldier of long service b : a former member of the armed forces
      2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics
      or the arts)

      Veteran's Day would be for honoring those wise enough or lucky enough or
      unlucky enough to have survived a war.

      Either way, whatever you call it, spending some time out from our
      playing at it, to reflect on the people that have gone to real war and
      not returned is what this weekend is about.

      Fritz