Re: [SCA-Archery] Check out this video

  • Lewis Tanzos
    Message 1 of 6 , May 19, 2008
      --- On Mon, 5/19/08, James oftheLake <jotl2008@...> wrote:

      > Bunch of re-enactors in Hungary, I'd say. An annual Viking Festival
      > from last summer or so.

      One of my friends speaks Hungarian, and had this to say about that video:

      It's a strange mix of the preposterous and the basically accurate. The scene starts with an explanation of how St. Stephen ordered that every ten villages should get together and build a church, and how the area around that church became a marketplace (the Hungarian word for "Sunday" basically means "market day"). So far, so good, but then the story goes on that there's a marauding band of Vikings in the area... I can just about guarantee you that there were never any Vikings in Hungary. Although I suppose that if you replace "Vikings" with "outlaws", the story is OK: while the armed men are off looking in all the wrong places, the outlaws storm the little fortified village, the usual things ensue, eventually the menfolk catch on and come back, there are challenges to single combat and then a melee, and the villagers are victorious. (I think the cry of "Hajr√° magyarok" at the end came from the audience.) Of course, if you call 'em outlaws, you can't
      call your event a Viking festival... I don't know what their motivations were behind the name.

      - Istvan