Re: [SCA-Archery] Glueing feather

  • Wolfram Troeder
    Message 1 of 7 , May 28, 2000
      Grretings to the list,
      as for the problem with glueing the feathers, have you ever tried to glue first the feathers and then finish the shaft?
      I found this tip in an archery book for traditional archery. It says, this way there is no problem with gluing the feathers, the binding gets extra strength and the feathers are more weatherresistant. Has anybody tried that?
      Greetings
      Tassilo von Rabennest
      Master of the Drachenwald Company of archers, Captain of archers of the Barony of Drei Eichen, Drachenwald

    • Chris Nogy
      Message 2 of 7 , May 28, 2000
        This is how I finish my 'modern' arrows.

        I usually finish my shafts with sandpaper (600 grit) and then steel wool (0000). If you dampen the shaft lightly between sandings then lightly knock off the fuzz that rises, after 2 sandings and 1 steel wooling you end up with a very smooth shaft.

        Then I fletch (using a cyano-acrylate glue and accelerator), then I dip the shaft to the fletches and using a small sponge brush I apply the Polyurethane (Minwax satin is my choice) thickly to the channels between the fletches and let it run down. It covers the joint and part of the quill, and weatherproofs and protects the joint. You can also cover string wrap this way, and it will protect the wrap. I apply it right over the serving at the nose of the fletches - makes a nice smooth wrap that goes off the hand even nicer than just a wrap alone.

        Hang the shafts by their points to dry - don't stand them in a stand.

        Steel wool the poly when it is completely dry, then a quick coat of light paste wax, buffed, and you will have no problem retrieving them out of even the toughest ethafoam target.

        Takes a few extra minutes for the finish, but the time you save with the CA glue (it takes only 10 seconds or less to get a full cured bond on each fletch) you don't end up with much more time per arrow, and your arrows will be more durable.

        Hope this helps

        Kaz

        On 5/28/00 at 10:31 AM Wolfram Troeder wrote:

        >Grretings to the list,
        >as for the problem with glueing the feathers, have you ever tried to glue first the feathers and then finish the shaft?
        >I found this tip in an archery book for traditional archery. It says, this way there is no problem with gluing the feathers, the binding gets extra strength and the feathers are more weatherresistant. Has anybody tried that?
        > Greetings
        > Tassilo von Rabennest
        > Master of the Drachenwald Company of archers, Captain of archers of the Barony of Drei Eichen, Drachenwald

      • John Rockwell
        Message 3 of 7 , May 28, 2000
          I have tried this and found that you have to be very careful that the
          sealant doesn't get onto the feathers.

          Ian Griffen