RE: [SCA-Archery] Re:flecthing issue

  • Hank Steinfeld
    Message 1 of 11 , May 8, 2008
      Years ago I ran into a 'bad' batch of fletch tite and after talking with another fletcher, changed to duco for my fletching. This was necessary when I changed from plain shafts to gasket lacquered shafts. Nothing but this adhesive would hold. The best part is that it is readily available at even Walmart.

      Good luck
      Khadir

      Frederick Fenters <padraig@...> wrote:
      I ran into similar problems once upon a time. Make sure you have a good
      coat of Fletch Lac on the shaft. 2 thin coats are better than 1 heavy one,
      but getting the Fletch Lac too thin can lead to problems. Make sure you are
      allowing the glue enough time to cure properly. Depending on weather and
      time of year, I have allowed fletching to sit for 30 minutes or more to
      assure that the glue sets.

      Make sure that you are getting good touch along the entire bead of the
      feather. If you are using the same jigs that you used for the carbon
      shafting, it may not be set to make contact along the full length of the
      feather at the wider diameter. Usually, there are some adjustments that can
      be made on the jig. The way to be sure is to fletch 1 feather and allow it
      more than enough clamp time to dry properly (like overnight). Then,
      immediately upon removing the clamp, hold the arrow to be up so you can
      check for light coming under the bottom of the quill. If there are air
      pockets, places where light is getting through, they will be apparent when
      you look for them.

      BTW, I do not use the specialized crown dipping lacquer, just the stuff that
      they sell for regular shaft dipping.

      I hope I am helping and not being insulting!

      Padraig MacRaighne

      _____