Re: [SCA-Archery] Re:flecthing issue

  • Morgan Campbell
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7 2:36 PM
      Hello
      I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
      and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
      I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set nothing is working.
      I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
      Morgan the Falconer

    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7 3:11 PM
        What works for me:
        1 Duco Cement
        http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXYB18&P=7
        2 Wrapping each arrow with thread
        3 Never shooting an arrow where the fletches will go through the
        grass.

        Tips:

        The cement will partially dissolve the laquer, and when it dries it
        is re-solidified

        Make sure the fletch is glued down especially at the tip-end of the
        feather all the way to the end

        Make sure when wrapping the thread, for it to bury the front tip of
        the feather.

        Logan

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Morgan Campbell <baywinger@...>
        wrote:

        > Hello
        > I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying
        to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
        > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
        > I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set
        nothing is working.
        > I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and
        vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
        > Morgan the Falconer

      • jameswolfden
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7 3:17 PM
          My favourite glue for fletching is duco cement as it seems to stick
          to everything.

          I am not a big fan of dipped arrows as I want my arrows to look like
          wood. Lately, I have been making the arrows without any fletching
          glue and just doing the thread wrap. I can fletch an entire arrow in
          the time it takes fletch-tite to dry on a single feather.

          James

          wrote:

          > Hello
          > I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying
          to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
          > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
          > I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set
          nothing is working.
          > I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and
          vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
          > Morgan the Falconer

        • Morgan Campbell
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7 3:39 PM
            Thanks I'll give that a try.
            Morgan

            wrote:

            > Hello
            > I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying
            to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
            > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
            > I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set
            nothing is working.
            > I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and
            vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
            > Morgan the Falconer

          • Frederick Fenters
            Message 5 of 11 , May 7 5:15 PM
              I ran into similar problems once upon a time. Make sure you have a good
              coat of Fletch Lac on the shaft. 2 thin coats are better than 1 heavy one,
              but getting the Fletch Lac too thin can lead to problems. Make sure you are
              allowing the glue enough time to cure properly. Depending on weather and
              time of year, I have allowed fletching to sit for 30 minutes or more to
              assure that the glue sets.

              Make sure that you are getting good touch along the entire bead of the
              feather. If you are using the same jigs that you used for the carbon
              shafting, it may not be set to make contact along the full length of the
              feather at the wider diameter. Usually, there are some adjustments that can
              be made on the jig. The way to be sure is to fletch 1 feather and allow it
              more than enough clamp time to dry properly (like overnight). Then,
              immediately upon removing the clamp, hold the arrow to be up so you can
              check for light coming under the bottom of the quill. If there are air
              pockets, places where light is getting through, they will be apparent when
              you look for them.

              BTW, I do not use the specialized crown dipping lacquer, just the stuff that
              they sell for regular shaft dipping.

              I hope I am helping and not being insulting!

              Padraig MacRaighne

              _____

              Message 6 of 11 , May 7 7:55 PM
                If you have used Bohning Fletch-Lac and Fletch-Tite, there shouldn't
                be any problem. These are essentially the same formulation and the
                Fletch-Tite is designed to soften and bond to the Fletch-Lac. If you
                are still having problems, check the environmental conditions after
                you dip your shafts and before you fletch them. It sounds like they
                are being exposed to wax or oil which will prevent the bond.
                Carolus

                At 02:36 PM 5/7/2008, you wrote:

                >Hello
                >I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying
                >to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
                >and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
                >I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set
                >nothing is working.
                >I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and vanes
                >I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
                >Morgan the Falconer

              • Cecil Hudson
                Message 7 of 11 , May 7 8:57 PM
                  Greetings,

                  I'm new to the list and wanted to add a consideration. Have you ever used fletch tape. Much faster than gluing and seems to hold real well. Only started using it though so I time will tell for sure and I have no idea how well it holds on crown dipping. I don't crown dip my shafts.

                  Cian Rhys Gravenor

                  To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                  From: jameswolfden@...
                  Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:17:53 +0000
                  Subject: [SCA-Archery] Re:fletching issue

                  wrote:

                  > Hello

                  > I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying

                  to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer

                  > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.

                  > I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set

                  nothing is working.

                  > I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and

                  vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather

                  > Morgan the Falconer

                • John Moore
                  Message 8 of 11 , May 7 9:19 PM
                    Another thing to look for is the date the glue was made. Fletch Tite
                    has a shelf life of up to two years. One of the reason it is stamped on
                    the bottom of the tube with the lot number. According to the rep I
                    talked to several years ago anything over 1 1/2 years old is suspect.
                    Same kind of problem and that is the answer I got from them. Some of
                    that stuff can sit on the shelves that long.

                    Iaen

                    Carolus wrote:
                    > If you have used Bohning Fletch-Lac and Fletch-Tite, there shouldn't
                    > be any problem. These are essentially the same formulation and the
                    > Fletch-Tite is designed to soften and bond to the Fletch-Lac. If you
                    > are still having problems, check the environmental conditions after
                    > you dip your shafts and before you fletch them. It sounds like they
                    > are being exposed to wax or oil which will prevent the bond.
                    > Carolus
                    >
                    > At 02:36 PM 5/7/2008, you wrote:
                    >

                    >> Hello
                    >> I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying
                    >> to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer
                    >> and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.
                    >> I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set
                    >> nothing is working.
                    >> I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and vanes
                    >> I do not have much experience with ceder and feather
                    >> Morgan the Falconer

                  • Hank Steinfeld

                      Message 10 of 11 , May 8 5:24 AM
                        You still need to use regular glue at the tips of the fletch, otherwise the
                        feathers strip very easily.

                        Padraig MacRaighne

                        _____

                        From: jameswolfden@ <mailto:jameswolfden%40yahoo.ca> yahoo.ca
                        Date: Wed, 7 May 2008 22:17:53 +0000

                        --- In SCA-Archery@ <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com> yahoogroups.com,
                        Morgan Campbell <baywinger@...>

                        wrote:

                        > Hello

                        > I am having a problem getting my fletching to stay on, I am trying

                        to fletch cedar arrows that I have crown dipped with bohning lacquer

                        > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.

                        > I have tried fletch tite,bond tite,goat tuff,and AAE fast set

                        nothing is working.

                        > I have fletched dozens of arrows but they have been carbon and

                        vanes I do not have much experience with ceder and feather

                        > Morgan the Falconer

                      • Hobbe
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 8 6:42 AM
                          wrote:
                          > and now every time I shoot them the fletch justs fall off.

                          You can always just sand the spot where the feathers will go.
                          ~Hobbe