Re: [SCA-Archery] Makeing one's own thumbring: Resources? Sculpty?

  • George Bottorf
    Message 1 of 14 , May 5, 2008
      Greetings, Merry. I agree the price of thumb rings is a bit pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
      1- Search: Sugakji thumb rings.
      got 3 sites. Wooden thumb rings. Use previous and next to follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
      2- Go to ATARN.ORG Look around. Much stuff there.
      3- Korean Traditonal Archery.Org. Ditto.
      4- Go to Leatherwall. Ditto.
      5- Look at Sugakji thumb ring tutorial.
      6-You can use a 3/4" pvc 45 degree elbow to make a thumb ring. Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and crossbowman.

      Message 2 of 14 , May 5, 2008
        Wow. Excellent. I had also forgotten about what's in my own back
        yard here at MU (Not that one can see them.. they are all in storage)
        http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/online/thumbring/thumbring.shtml

        Was surprised to find a wikipedia article... links to a page on how to
        make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring

        Thank you!

        --

        // Merry

        ----------
        'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
          Btw folks. I had already purchased some Scuply before the
          conversation on the topic had gotten underway and I finally was in front
          of a TV at a friend's house with idle hands a week or two ago and had a
          go. Having never used it before it's possible that I didn't cure/cook
          it properly, but I'm thinking that this isn't the case, and my
          conclusion is that the stuff is useful for decoration only and not up to
          even a fraction of the stresses involved. Oh well. It looked pretty
          until squeezed it to see if it would take any use and it crushed like a bug.

          --

          // Merry

          ----------
          'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder Lutre

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
            I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would
            probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that
            are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would
            be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might
            work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of
            wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,
            crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat
            source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to
            scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before
            pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

            Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your
            own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

            Logan

            PS - 2 weeks to Lillies, where I would be willing to bet that a
            merchant will be selling thumb rings.

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, 'Merry' Toirdhealbhach Mirywoder

          • blkknighti@aol.com
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
              I dont know if this will help you but there are a number of thumb rings
              relatively inexpensive on ebay I searched "archers ring".

              http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&_trksid=m37&
              satitle=archers+ring&category0=

              Richard

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 3, 2008
                Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for
                aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many
                inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used
                for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior
                to the early 20th century.
                Carolus

                At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

                >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would
                >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that
                >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would
                >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might
                >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of
                >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,
                >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat
                >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to
                >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before
                >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.
                >
                >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your
                >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...
                >
                >Logan
              • James of the Lake
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                  A crucible and a propane furnace do just fine, tho. The oxide layer
                  on the surface of the metal protects the melt. Do this outside
                  though and be careful!

                  James

                  On Jun 3, 2008, at 11:20 PM, Carolus wrote:

                  > Actually, you wouldn't want an open fire as a heat source for
                  > aluminum. It is far too reactive and will result in too many
                  > inclusions and slag when exposed to fire. Electric furnaces are used
                  > for melting aluminum. This is why it wasn't used commercially prior
                  > to the early 20th century.
                  > Carolus
                  >
                  > At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:
                  >
                  >> I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would
                  >> probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that
                  >> are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would
                  >> be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might
                  >> work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of
                  >> wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,
                  >> crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat
                  >> source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to
                  >> scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before
                  >> pouring, but you could probably figure out something.
                  >>
                  >> Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your
                  >> own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...
                  >>
                  >> Logan

                  jotl2008@...
                • Steven Fuller
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                    Yeah, having shot with a thumb ring for about a year now, I certainly
                    wouldn't recommend Sculpey for this. Mine is made of brass (not
                    generally period, though later I will look into making one out of
                    horn), and it, of course, stands up to the stress of the pull (Kassai
                    Mongol horse bow, 47# @ 30").

                    Regardless of the materials used, you will get MAJOR calluses, if not
                    blisters, when using it for the first month or two. It does hurt a
                    bit, but you get used to it, and then the calluses form and it's okay.
                    But learning to shoot with a thumb ring really redefines how you look
                    at archery. It's almost as if you have to learn how to shoot all over
                    again.

                    And if you plan on shooting western style, as well, I would recommend
                    getting a bow to use *just* for thumb ring, and use a different one
                    for western style (I use a horse bow for Mongolian and then a Martin
                    X-200 recurve for western). I find it hard to switch between the two
                    styles while using the same bow. It fries my brain. :) Plus,
                    traditionally a right-handed archer will load a bow on the RIGHT side
                    when using a thumb ring.

                    -Rhys Cantor.
                    Great Dark Horde
                    Kingdom of Atlantia

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                      Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer/crossbowman

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                        Very true. I've read that, when one's draw and release is *perfect*
                        with a thumb ring, it shouldn't matter what side of the bow you shoot
                        from. I, however, am far from that level of expertise... :)

                        I did, actually, start using the thumb ring while loading the bow on
                        the left side. It just felt weird. And the arrow kept wanting to lean
                        left, off the bow. When I load on the right side, my index knuckle of
                        my draw hand (right hand) kinda pushes the arrow against my bow,
                        keeping it on there. Works out nicely.

                        --Rhys.

                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "George Bottorf"
                        <PLUNKETTARCHER@...> wrote:

                        > Greetings. Not to worry about brass thumb rings. Seems the Romans
                        used bronze rings. Have seen pictures, pretty nice. Some folk also
                        shoot thumbring put arrow on left side of bow. He is top Mongolian
                        archer. Works for him. Trick seems to just do it, not worry who
                        does/doesn't like it! I wonder how a longbow would respond to use of
                        thumbring. HHHMMMMM. Oh well. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom
                        archer/crossbowman

                        Sculpty? - Followup

> [...]
                        > > > make a thumb ring from a billiard ball *boggle*
                        > > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb_ring
                        > > >
                        > > > Thank you!

                        > pricy. A lot of work to make, tho. I went looking for info and found a
                        > bunch of it! I found the best info on Korean archery. Let me show you.
                        > follow all pages. A lot of info there. All 3 sites good.
                        > Just a bit of cut and trim. Not real fancy, but mine should work as
                        > soon as I finish sanding it a bit. BTW, the pvc ring is the female
                        > design. The Sugakji is the male version. I will try both and see which
                        > works for me. There, that should hold you for a spell. You might
                        > also want to search just for Thumb Rings. Can't hurt. More info. I
                        > plan to use a low pondage bow to learn the use of the ring! No sense
                        > in hurting yourself at the start. I hope this will be of some small
                        > use for you. YIS, Abner de Plunkett. West Kingdom archer and

                      • Talmon Parker
                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                          If You want a clean supply of aluminum, you might want to go to your local welding supply. there you can purchase a small roll of aluminum
                          welding wire. no oil or flux. just keep cutting off pieces ,till you get enough to cast with.You can get a harder grade of material also.
                          You can use the rest of the roll to make chain link garb with. Looks bright and shinny, and wont get your clothes all rusty.
                          A large stainless serving spoon taped or wired to a small stick or board will do as a suitable ladle. I you want a side pouring lip. Just bend the spoon with pliers to make a spout.
                          Lots of luck Talmon

                          DER BARON

                          To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                          From: eulenhorst@...
                          Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

                          At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

                          >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

                          >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

                          >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

                          >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

                          >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

                          >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

                          >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

                          >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

                          >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

                          >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

                          >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

                          >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

                          >Logan

                        • Talmon Parker

                            From: eulenhorst@...
                            Date: Tue, 3 Jun 2008 23:20:54 -0700

                            At 03:10 PM 6/3/2008, you wrote:

                            >I suspect if you were wanting to go the clay-route, you would

                            >probably need some porcelain china grade clay, and firing temps that

                            >are somewhat beyond backyard firing capabilities. Much easier would

                            >be bronze casting, which can be done pretty easily. Aluminum might

                            >work as well, in which case you could do it with a carved piece of

                            >wax, your sculpey for a mold, a ceramic coffee cup for a crucible,

                            >crushed pop cans for an aluminum source, and a campfire as a heat

                            >source. I'm not exactly sure what you would use for a ladle to

                            >scoop out the foam from the top of the molten aluminum before

                            >pouring, but you could probably figure out something.

                            >Obviously, this is not a safe activity, and you should do it on your

                            >own time and after doing research on safety precations, etc...

                            >Logan

                          • Joe Klovance
                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 4, 2008
                              Since we are considering a non-period material, aluminium, why not try something completely different; aluminium impregnated epoxy putty. It is quite a tough material that can be formed into a rough shape around a mandrel then finished using files and sandpaper. It should be tough enough and not involve fire.

                              Joe Klovance
                            • Metin Ates
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 5, 2008
                                Try "Delrin" (a kind of thermoplastic from DuPond and harder then metal).
                                This is the best materials to make thumbring. Our thumbring-maker Ekrem
                                chooses this material.
                                Also you should try Plexyglass. These are better from any metal even
                                aluminium.

                                Metina