Re: Arrow Weight or How close is close enough?

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 35 , Apr 10, 2008
      I'll add my 2c as well:

      First you find out what length of arrow you need, by your draw length.
      Second you guage what spine the arrow should be, by the weight of your draw, at
      your draw length.
      Third is a little more tricky, and that's judging what total weight of arrow your
      bow "likes". Listen to your bow, and "feel" your bow. Your arrow should be
      leaving your bow with very little noise, and you should be feeling little to no
      hand shock.

      Commercially you have 3 different diameters of shafts: 5/16, 11/32 & 23/64.
      Although within those 3 sizes it may be difficult to maintain the spine weight
      you need, but most folks will fall into 'normal' shooting weights.

      Once you find the weight of arrow that shoots silent and smooth, then you use
      that weight to match all your arrows to.

      Godwin

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 35 of 35 , Apr 15, 2008
        Gentles,

        Normally I just lurk, but I couldn't resist, I'm so proud:

        At Fool's War a new Marshall, John Glass, was authorized. There may have been others authorized as well. I was working in the children's activities area and missed other things going on. John is an experienced archer, but new to participation in the SCA. Giovanni has been working with him on this for a while. Big thanks to Gio, and Hoobah John Glass, new Archery Marshall!

        IS,

        Caileigh

        between 0000-00-00 and 9999-99-99