Re: Combat crossbows

  • Rusty McMillan
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 5 4:16 PM
      Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
      recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
      Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
      nut release?

      Randal

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, joe scheidt <jngl_joe@...> wrote:

      > I second that second. we bought 5 or 6 at once, mine is used
      regularly and love every shot i take.

    • blkknighti@aol.com
      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5 6:23 PM
        For usage in target archery perhaps a roller nut may have the advantage of
        being somewhat smoother hence aid in accuracy but on the battle field I have
        found a rising pin release quite a bit better than my roller nut bow. It may be
        personal preference but I would advise a rising pin over roller nut.
        I think the best place to ask this would be on the SCA Missile combat list.

        Richard

        In a message dated 4/5/08 7:17:04 PM, randal_of_camusfearna@... writes:

        > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
        > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
        > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
        > nut release?
        >
        > Randal

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5 7:42 PM
          There are several different types of different releases that are available
          and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is of
          greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a whole
          'nother beast than target shooting.

          Padraig MacRaighne

          _____

          <mailto:randal_of_camusfearna%40yahoo.com> na@... writes:

          > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
          > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
          > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
          > nut release?
          >
          > Randal

        • Carolus
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5 10:10 PM
            Having built roller nut combat crossbows I can say I prefer them to
            other release types but find them much more difficult to build and am
            not sure the work is worth it in light of the other compromises made
            on the combat field. If points were awarded for how close we came to
            period equipment with allowance for our safety rules then it would be
            another thing.
            Carolus

            At 04:16 PM 4/5/2008, you wrote:

            >Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
            >recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
            >Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
            >nut release?
            >
            >Randal

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 6 12:04 AM
              But even in target archery, I have seen some very accurate shooting
              from the notchlocks crossbows including some ludicrous bowman scores.
              A rolling nut is great and probably the most common of the releases
              used but high scores can be obtained with a less sophisticated (but
              often more reliable) release.

              James

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
              wrote:

              > There are several different types of different releases that are
              available
              > and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is
              of
              > greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a
              whole
              > 'nother beast than target shooting.
              >

              > Padraig MacRaighne

            • Andros Korkyrates
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6 8:57 AM
                In my experience, rolling nut crossbows have smoother release, but
                tend to suffer from high maintenance issues - bits of debris can jam
                or misalign your nut, and so can a bit of impact or shake, depending
                on design. They also have a somewhat lower (at least for me) rate of
                fire than pin/notch crossbows; though I guess some crossbow makers do
                make rolling nuts with position-reset spring coil?

                If anything, rolling nut crossbows do not need a retainer clip, while
                on pin/notch crossbows it is very helpful to have one...

                Andros Korkyrates

                --
                Andro Berkovic

                "Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet,
                consectetur, adipisci velit..."