Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Combat crossbows

  • joe scheidt
    Message 1 of 15 , Apr 4, 2008
      I second that second. we bought 5 or 6 at once, mine is used regularly and love every shot i take.

      Message 2 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
        Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
        recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
        Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
        nut release?

        Randal

      • blkknighti@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
          For usage in target archery perhaps a roller nut may have the advantage of
          being somewhat smoother hence aid in accuracy but on the battle field I have
          found a rising pin release quite a bit better than my roller nut bow. It may be
          personal preference but I would advise a rising pin over roller nut.
          I think the best place to ask this would be on the SCA Missile combat list.

          Richard

          In a message dated 4/5/08 7:17:04 PM, randal_of_camusfearna@... writes:

          > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
          > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
          > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
          > nut release?
          >
          > Randal

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
            There are several different types of different releases that are available
            and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is of
            greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a whole
            'nother beast than target shooting.

            Padraig MacRaighne

            _____

            <mailto:randal_of_camusfearna%40yahoo.com> na@... writes:

            > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
            > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
            > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
            > nut release?
            >
            > Randal

          • Carolus
            Message 5 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
              Having built roller nut combat crossbows I can say I prefer them to
              other release types but find them much more difficult to build and am
              not sure the work is worth it in light of the other compromises made
              on the combat field. If points were awarded for how close we came to
              period equipment with allowance for our safety rules then it would be
              another thing.
              Carolus

              At 04:16 PM 4/5/2008, you wrote:

              >Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
              >recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
              >Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
              >nut release?
              >
              >Randal

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
                But even in target archery, I have seen some very accurate shooting
                from the notchlocks crossbows including some ludicrous bowman scores.
                A rolling nut is great and probably the most common of the releases
                used but high scores can be obtained with a less sophisticated (but
                often more reliable) release.

                James

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                wrote:

                > There are several different types of different releases that are
                available
                > and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is
                of
                > greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a
                whole
                > 'nother beast than target shooting.
                >

                > Padraig MacRaighne

              • Andros Korkyrates
                Message 7 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
                  In my experience, rolling nut crossbows have smoother release, but
                  tend to suffer from high maintenance issues - bits of debris can jam
                  or misalign your nut, and so can a bit of impact or shake, depending
                  on design. They also have a somewhat lower (at least for me) rate of
                  fire than pin/notch crossbows; though I guess some crossbow makers do
                  make rolling nuts with position-reset spring coil?

                  If anything, rolling nut crossbows do not need a retainer clip, while
                  on pin/notch crossbows it is very helpful to have one...

                  Andros Korkyrates