Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Judging distance

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 77 , Apr 3, 2008
      Yes, a marshal or event steward can ban sights or anything else for a
      particular event or shoot even if otherwise allowed by society and
      kingdom rules. Just as a tourney may be made great weapons only,
      hits above the waist only, or any other special rule. I have seen
      and run events that were "period" equipment only - bring your
      fiberglas and be a spectator.
      Carolus

      At 08:07 AM 4/3/2008, you wrote:

      > > First, I don't remember if "electronic range finders" were
      > > specified by yourself or not (I don't think they were), but I do
      > > know that I was refering to "generic range finders"
      > > anything/everything which could possibly be used as a range finder -
      > > including bows). Since a bow can be used as a range finder (limb
      > > tips have a known length/width/etc, as do risers), I must assume
      > > that any edict banning "range finders" from use in unknown distance
      > > shoots includes bows...
      >
      >The first to mention electronic range finders was Sir Jon.
      >
      >Here is the question I pose. If any kind of "range finders" are
      >going to be banned, what are you going to do with those marshals who
      >help setup or those already familar with the range?
      >
      >I know of one kingdom archery championship where the actual shoot
      >being done was kept quiet from the archers and the marshal running
      >the shoot won the event. Kind of unfair if you ask me. That's
      >definitely more unfair that somebody any kind of period tool to
      >estimate distance.
      >
      > > That is why I feel that the use of **some form** of non-modern
      > > range finding device should be allowed, unless it is SPECIFICALLY
      > > discouraged for a particular competition.
      >
      >But how are you going to do that? Crossbows are permitted to have
      >rear sights and with a simple peep site compared to a horizon one can
      >determine distance. You mean a marshal can ban sights when they are
      >permitted under SCA and a kingdom rules?
      >
      >If something was done in period (provided it's safe for the event)
      >then it should be permitted. No banning of period sighting
      >techniques used even if they were frowned upon by Roger Ascham. No
      >banning of period sights.
      >
      >There are plenty of these types of rules I've seen that are rather
      >bogus. If I want to come to an event with 20 different types of
      >arrows and use the type of arrow which best suits a type of shoot
      >that should be allowed. I certainly don't want to use my IKAC bolts
      >to shoot a clout or anything that will damage my bolts. If one
      >wanted to change from one type of a bow to another during a
      >competition that should also be allow as it takes more effort to
      >master two types of weaponry that one.
      >
      >Comes down to what are people afraid of?
      >
      >Michael

    • Carolus
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 3, 2008