New to the Group

  • Sandra Durling
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 2, 2008
      Greetings Everyone,
      First off thank you all for allowing me to join the group. My name is Alessandra (I'm the Chatelaine for the Shire of Dragon's Mist) and I've shot for the first time on Saturday (we just started a new youth archery group, both my girls are in the group). I have not been able to stop thinking about how wonderful that was!!!!! My husband used to do archery 20+ years ago and now because of the girls he's getting back into it. Thank God he kept nagging me to shoot (well maybe not now) because now I'm hooked too! LOL!!! Anyway, I was wondering if you all could help me with two things. 1. Does anyone know where we could get some basic equipment for those who don't have any? Right now we're meeting at Archer's Afield so those of us (yes I still have to get a bow and I'm dieing to do that) who don't have equipment can rent. But when the weather decides to stay nice we'll be meeting at a park, hence no where to rent. This would be for the kids
      equipment. 2. This one is for me personally, where would you guys recommend I go for a bow? I'm also a stay at home homeschooling mom, so I really need to keep the cost reasonable. I'd like to say thank you to you all for your time. And please keep posting I'm learning a lot from all of you.

      With Sincere Gratitude,
      Alessandra de Barbuzza

    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
        Assumption #1: Your girls are between the age of 10 and 18, and you
        hope they intend to shoot on a weekly basis for several years.
        There is a nice, inexpensive takedown recurve intended for beginner
        target shooters, priced around $100. Wood riser, with distinctive
        white limbs. It goes by various names, including Hawkeye or
        Buckeye. 3 Rivers Archery sells them... google 3 rivers archery.
        If they are younger than 10, you might consider an all-fiberglass
        bow, like what Indian Archery is famous for.

        I'm suprised that there aren't used bows for sale at your archery
        shop. I see from google that there are 3 or 4 in the Portland
        area. Women who are not used to shooting often start off with a
        roughly 30lb used bow. At this point, you are looking for a bow you
        can draw and get your string hand all the way back to your cheek,
        and is safe. You will need to know whether you are left-eyed or
        right-eyed. Eye dominance can be determined by simple tests that
        most shooters (gun and bow) can help you with. If you can't find a
        suitable bow in a local shop, two additional suggestions are
        Traditional Archery events. Oregon seems to have a lot of
        traditional archers, and likely you will be able to find something
        from a vendor at an event. It isn't a horrible suggestion, either,
        to get a bow off of Ebay. Look in the traditional bows area;
        Usually you will have a handful to look at in the 30lb area. Wing
        Falcon is a nice starter bow, but first make sure you are getting
        the correct (left/right) bow.

        With 4 potential shooters in the family, I would also suggest you
        quickly take up string making and fletching. Being able to make
        your own strings is awfully convenient, and making your own arrows
        is a big money saver. If anyone decides to take archery seriously,
        they will want to make their own arrows anyway. Supplies can
        usually be found from a local archery shop, and can also be found
        from catalog retailers like 3 Rivers. Today I would recommend the
        Arizona Fletcher that allows you to do 3 feathers at once as the
        most cost&time effective. Jo-Jan makes a nice 6-feathers-at-once
        fletcher, and there are cheap plastic knockoffs of the Bitzenberger
        single fletching jig. If there are others in the shire who shoot
        weekly, they likely will have fletching equip as well.

        My condolences on all the lost free time that is now spent on the
        new hobby!

        Logan

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Sandra Durling
        <ladyalyssandra@...> wrote:

        > Greetings Everyone,
        > First off thank you all for allowing me to join the group. My
        name is Alessandra (I'm the Chatelaine for the Shire of Dragon's
        Mist) and I've shot for the first time on Saturday (we just started
        a new youth archery group, both my girls are in the group). I have
        not been able to stop thinking about how wonderful that was!!!!! My
        husband used to do archery 20+ years ago and now because of the
        girls he's getting back into it. Thank God he kept nagging me to
        shoot (well maybe not now) because now I'm hooked too! LOL!!!
        Anyway, I was wondering if you all could help me with two things.
        1. Does anyone know where we could get some basic equipment for
        those who don't have any? Right now we're meeting at Archer's Afield
        so those of us (yes I still have to get a bow and I'm dieing to do
        that) who don't have equipment can rent. But when the weather
        decides to stay nice we'll be meeting at a park, hence no where to
        rent. This would be for the kids
        > equipment. 2. This one is for me personally, where would you guys
        recommend I go for a bow? I'm also a stay at home homeschooling
        mom, so I really need to keep the cost reasonable. I'd like to say
        thank you to you all for your time. And please keep posting I'm
        learning a lot from all of you.

        > With Sincere Gratitude,
        > Alessandra de Barbuzza

      • Frederick Fenters
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 3, 2008
          Three Rivers Archery is an excellent internet source for nearly any archery
          supplies you want. For a beginner, I would go with either the York
          "trainer" recurve bow or a Martin X-200. The Martin is more expensive but
          an excellent bow that will give many years of service if properly cared for.
          You might also check your local yellow pages for "Archery Equipment". I
          would try to avoid places that do not specialize in archery.

          If you have a person available to check used equipment for utility, garage
          sales and the like can be a good source. Check with your local archery
          marshals or equivalent.

          I am adding Three Rivers website here: www.3riversarchery.com
          <http://www.3riversarchery.com/>

          Welcome to the projectile world!

          Forester Padraig MacRaighne

          _____

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 9, 2008
            Another good sourse is www.kustomkingarchery.com. Additionally If they
            have I can get it for you at a discount.

            Rask Ulfbjorn

            Viking Archery Supply,
            www.dmerrill.com

            At 10:10 AM 4/3/08, you wrote:

            >Three Rivers Archery is an excellent internet source for nearly any archery
            >supplies you want. For a beginner, I would go with either the York
            >"trainer" recurve bow or a Martin X-200. The Martin is more expensive but
            >an excellent bow that will give many years of service if properly cared for.
            >You might also check your local yellow pages for "Archery Equipment". I
            >would try to avoid places that do not specialize in archery.
            >
            >If you have a person available to check used equipment for utility, garage
            >sales and the like can be a good source. Check with your local archery
            >marshals or equivalent.
            >
            >I am adding Three Rivers website here: www.3riversarchery.com
            ><<http://www.3riversarchery.com/>http://www.3riversarchery.com/>
            >
            >Welcome to the projectile world!
            >
            >Forester Padraig MacRaighne
            >
            >_____

          • arturdubh
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 9, 2008
              Yet another one is Northwest Archery Company, run by Suzanne St.
              Charles
              http://www.nwarchery.com/

              True, they specialize in arrows, but they do have bows and other
              archery tackle. And, they talk SCA there.

              --Artúr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>

              Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
              > Behalf Of Sandra Durling
              > Sent: Wednesday, April 02, 2008 5:36 PM
              > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
              > Subject: [SCA-Archery] New to the Group
              >

              > Greetings Everyone,
              > First off thank you all for allowing me to join the group. My name
              is
              > Alessandra (I'm the Chatelaine for the Shire of Dragon's Mist) and
              I've shot
              > for the first time on Saturday (we just started a new youth archery
              group,
              > both my girls are in the group). I have not been able to stop
              thinking about
              > how wonderful that was!!!!! My husband used to do archery 20+ years
              ago and
              > now because of the girls he's getting back into it. Thank God he
              kept
              > nagging me to shoot (well maybe not now) because now I'm hooked
              too! LOL!!!
              > Anyway, I was wondering if you all could help me with two things.
              1. Does
              > anyone know where we could get some basic equipment for those who
              don't have
              > any? Right now we're meeting at Archer's Afield so those of us (yes
              I still
              > have to get a bow and I'm dieing to do that) who don't have
              equipment can
              > rent. But when the weather decides to stay nice we'll be meeting at
              a park,
              > hence no where to rent. This would be for the kids
              > equipment. 2. This one is for me personally, where would you guys
              recommend
              > I go for a bow? I'm also a stay at home homeschooling mom, so I
              really need
              > to keep the cost reasonable. I'd like to say thank you to you all
              for your
              > time. And please keep posting I'm learning a lot from all of you.
              >
              > With Sincere Gratitude,
              > Alessandra de Barbuzza

            • Michael Grossberg
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 10, 2008
                Three Rivers Archery is an excellent internet source for nearly any archery
                supplies you want. For a beginner, I would go with either the York
                "trainer" recurve bow or a Martin X-200. The Martin is more expensive but
                an excellent bow that will give many years of service if properly cared for.
                You might also check your local yellow pages for "Archery Equipment". I
                would try to avoid places that do not specialize in archery.

                If you have a person available to check used equipment for utility, garage
                sales and the like can be a good source. Check with your local archery
                marshals or equivalent.

                I am adding Three Rivers website here: www.3riversarchery.com
                <http://www.3riversarchery.com/>

                Welcome to the projectile world!

                Forester Padraig MacRaighne

                _
                _There's also Kustom King Archery at KustomKingArchery.com, and FS discount
                archery at
                fsdiscountarchery.com. I've ordered various things from all three.
                Gardr Gunnarsso