Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Bowyer's knot frequency

  • Carl West
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 29 8:34 AM
      When John Atkins put fingers to keys it was 3/28/08 5:51 PM...

      > I have not seen a bowyer's knot on strings here in Atlantia. However, I
      > made a string specially with a bowyers knot as a test for potential
      > marshals in my Marshal 101 class. Quite frankly, the timber hitch,
      > which is the bowyer's knot, tied correctly will easily hold on a bow
      > string. The issue is correctly tied. It would behoove most
      > marshals/rangers to learn the knot and be able to recognize it on sight.
      > Most importantly, a correctly tied bowyers knot/timber hitch.

      I just poked through The Ashley Book of Knots and strangely there is no
      "Bowyer's Knot" mentioned. He has something he calls a "Bowstring Knot"
      that I have to play with a bit, the diagram doesn't make it look like it
      would work, but drawn up tight it might be fine.

      Anyway...

      His closing observation about the timber hitch is that "The turns should
      be 'dogged' _with_the_lay_ of the rope. Three turns or tucks are ample."

      The illustration doesn't show the lay of the rope, so I'm still not sure
      what he means. I have always tied it so that the tucks look like a
      two-ply rope and it has held well for me in hemp, linen, and dacron.

      I once had a commercial bow whose nock geometry was such that a two-tuck
      hitch held well and a three tuck hitch slipped. Go figure.

      I also add in a 50% reinforcement to the string in the area where the
      hitch is to be tied. I've had strings break, but never at the knot, and
      never at draw.

      --

      Carl West
      http://prospecthillforge.com : The Blacksmithing Classroom
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 29 11:12 AM
        I most assuredly would allow the timber hitch on my shooting line. All you have
        to do is monitor the brace height from when the bow was first braced to see if it
        slips. I doubt seriously it will... nature of the knot.

        Godwin

      • Ben Grant
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 29 12:20 PM
          Although I typically go with loops on both ends of the Flemish
          strings I make and use. As an Atlantian marshal, I have nothing
          against the Bowyer's Knot and would have no problem with it on my
          range, provided it is tied correctly.
          Professionally, I've used this knot for lifting heavy objects to
          great heights and have never known it to fail providing the rope was
          in good condition. The harder you pull against it, the tighter it
          holds. I've literally bet my life on the security of this knot.
        • RJ Bachner
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 20, 2008
            I sell all my bowstrings as 1 loop and a knot. Done right it is perfectly
            fine, done wrong well It will quickly need to be done right.

            I am in the east kingdom and have seen it many time on other bows not
            related to anyone I have had a hand in teaching or equipping.

            The know will work well on almost any kind of bow, I have used them on
            recurves and longbows and flat bows, I will not work well on a mongol style
            bow with siyah's though.

            A good link for a boyers knot is....
            http://www3.sympatico.ca/ragiwarmbear/diy/knot/knot.html

            Ragi