Archery Nets

  • Arthen ap Rhun
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
      Everyone,

      I know that careful planning and a safe range are of paramount importance.
      With that said, what are the opinions in the group on the use of Archery
      Nets? Nets will never replace safety and planning but is there a place for
      them in outdoor archery? Do any of you use them and if so, in what capacity?
      For example, do you use them as an "arrow catcher" behind your butts? Or are
      you on the other side of the coin and do not use them at all?

      I personally use one in my home range which is in my basement. It is a 10' x
      10' net which is doubled over so the bottom edge just touches the floor. It
      hangs approximately one foot out from my wall . I have had no penetrations
      using a 40# Recurve, with 125 Grain Target Tips.

      I am interested in hearing opinions on this subject.

      Yours in Service,

      Arthen ap Rhun

    • locm@osprey.net
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
        They sure help cut down time looking for arrows for those who miss
        the target butt. We use them when they are available.
        On Wed 03/26/08 2:00 PM , "Arthen ap Rhun" arthen_ap_rhun@...
        sent:
[...]

        Links:
        ------
        [1]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/message/24567;_ylc=X3oDMTM1Z3ZqcG1zBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEbXNnSWQDMjQ1NjcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3BHRwY0lkAzI0NTY3
        [2]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJwbW90Ym40BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEbXNnSWQDMjQ1NjcEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3?act=reply&messageNum=24567
        [3]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZTJianY3BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3
        [4]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNGMzNGJzBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbXNncwRzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3
        [5]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOGI5OTYwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZXMEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [6]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZm0wMWxlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcGhvdARzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3
        [7]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJlbGRodGhlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbGlua3MEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [8]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJiYmVzNGJxBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZGIEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [9]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJlN2t0Z2owBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcG9sbHMEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [10]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJkaTAzdmRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbWJycwRzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3
        [11]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJjNWQzczZuBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDY2FsBHN0aW1lAzEyMDY1NjUyMjc-
        [12]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/;_ylc=X3oDMTJjbXN1cmIwBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZ2ZwBHN0aW1lAzEyMDY1NjUyMjc-
        [13]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/join;_ylc=X3oDMTJla2ZzYTdqBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDc3RuZ3MEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [14] mailto:SCA-Archery-digest@yahoogroups.com?subject=Email
        Delivery: Digest
        [15]
        mailto:SCA-Archery-traditional@yahoogroups.com?subject=Change%20Delivery%20Format:%20Traditional
        [16]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery;_ylc=X3oDMTJjaGg0ZWRlBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDaHBmBHN0aW1lAzEyMDY1NjUyMjc-
        [17] http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        [19]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJlaDI4Z2ttBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdm1icnMEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [20]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/spnew;_ylc=X3oDMTJlczdpbG8xBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdnBob3QEc3RpbWUDMTIwNjU2NTIyNw--
        [21]
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery;_ylc=X3oDMTJkYm9hYmJkBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA3Z0bARzbGsDdmdocARzdGltZQMxMjA2NTY1MjI3
        [22]
        http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13oo3vacv/M=493064.12016259.12445666.9963301/D=groups/S=1705767503:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206572427/L=/B=URGSEULaX9U-/J=1206565227597288/A=5008817/R=0/SIG=10sulld0b/*<a
        href=
        [23]
        http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13okj4e96/M=493064.12016309.12445701.8674578/D=groups/S=1705767503:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206572427/L=/B=UhGSEULaX9U-/J=1206565227597288/A=3848621/R=0/SIG=12u6o6g3h/*<a
        href=
        [24]
        http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=13opjacia/M=493064.12016262.12445669.8674578/D=groups/S=1705767503:NC/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1206572427/L=/B=UxGSEULaX9U-/J=1206565227597288/A=5028928/R=0/SIG=11e3tma2a/*<a
        href=

      • James oftheLake
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
          We don't use them on our range since, basically, we have the room
          (half of a fenced 2.5 acres so 150'X300' shooting down the long
          dimension) and use a line of old hay bales (low wall) to catch the
          skippers. It is possible to shoot into or across a public dirt road,
          so we have a range rule that a hold is called by anyone when anyone
          is on the road at the foot, or side road paralleling, the range.

          If we used an archery net, we'd have to come up with the cost of the
          net and how to rig it; take it down and store it to avoid sun and
          wind damage between shoots, and obscure direct vision of the road
          across the foot of the range.

          We've been using the range the way it is for 15 years or so now
          without incident, so I doubt we'd change anything.

          James
          an archer in CAID

          On Mar 26, 2008, at 2:00 PM, Arthen ap Rhun wrote:
          > Everyone,
          >

          > I know that careful planning and a safe range are of paramount
          > importance.
          > With that said, what are the opinions in the group on the use of
          > Archery
          > Nets? Nets will never replace safety and planning but is there a
          > place for
          > them in outdoor archery? Do any of you use them and if so, in what
          > capacity?
          > For example, do you use them as an "arrow catcher" behind your
          > butts? Or are
          > you on the other side of the coin and do not use them at all?
          >

          > I personally use one in my home range which is in my basement. It
          > is a 10' x
          > 10' net which is doubled over so the bottom edge just touches the
          > floor. It
          > hangs approximately one foot out from my wall . I have had no
          > penetrations
          > using a 40# Recurve, with 125 Grain Target Tips.
          >

          > I am interested in hearing opinions on this subject.
          >

          > Yours in Service,
          >

          > Arthen ap Rhun

        • Frederick Fenters
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
            There are nets hung behind the ranges at Pennsic. They are also used at
            Better War Through Archery in Sternfeld in the Midrealm. BWTA is an indoor
            event and the nets no doubt save lots of broken arrows and lost deposits
            from holes in the walls. At Pennsic, I think the nets are of some use, but
            there are still those shots that find the gaps in the coverage and disappear
            into the wilds beyond. I believe that the Coopers insisted that the nets be
            part of the planning when the range was moved to the top of Mount Aislinn.

            My personal opinion (your mileage will almost certainly vary) is that the
            nets are mostly psychological in value outdoors and the money invested in
            them could be better spent in some other passive system for preventing
            misses from travelling too far. Or on better target face systems thereby
            avoiding the question entirely.

            Padraig MacRaighne

            _____

            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 26, 2008
              We use nets outside and inside but will skip the nets outside if we have sufficient clear
              distance behind the nets. In some cases, we are required to use the nets especially when
              renting land from the municipal authorities.

              I have built two A-Frames for propping up the nets. Each A-Frame consists of 2
              2"x4"x10' hinged at the top. The net is strung between them on a long rope and then the
              rope ends are anchored to what is convienent (or ground spikes).

              The nets will not stop arrows from heavy bows or heavy crossbows. For our crossbows, we
              built a backstop out of 4'x8' OSB sheets. Combat legal crossbows can use the nets with no
              problems.

              The nets will eventually develop holes in them. A temporary fix to use mid-weight poly
              behind the nets.

              James Wolfden

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Arthen ap Rhun" <arthen_ap_rhun@...> wrote:

              > Everyone,
              >

              > I know that careful planning and a safe range are of paramount importance.
              > With that said, what are the opinions in the group on the use of Archery
              > Nets? Nets will never replace safety and planning but is there a place for
              > them in outdoor archery? Do any of you use them and if so, in what capacity?
              > For example, do you use them as an "arrow catcher" behind your butts? Or are
              > you on the other side of the coin and do not use them at all?
              >

              > I personally use one in my home range which is in my basement. It is a 10' x
              > 10' net which is doubled over so the bottom edge just touches the floor. It
              > hangs approximately one foot out from my wall . I have had no penetrations
              > using a 40# Recurve, with 125 Grain Target Tips.
              >

              > I am interested in hearing opinions on this subject.
              >

              > Yours in Service,
              >

              > Arthen ap Rhun

            • lord.ormr
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only one I
                have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more
                than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set
                up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with enough
                force to break the arrow.

                If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket
                in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make
                the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.

                Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.

                Ormr
              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                  Try two or three layers of old used carpet with some space between
                  each layer.

                  Jon

                  On Mar 27, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lord.ormr wrote:

                  > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only
                  > one I
                  > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more
                  > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set
                  > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                  > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                  > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with
                  > enough
                  > force to break the arrow.
                  >
                  > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket
                  > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make
                  > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.
                  >
                  > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                  > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                  >
                  > Ormr

                • Jeff Morton
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                    Your best bet might be to get a 16x10 net and instead of hanging it
                    from the 16' top side, double it over and hang it from its 4 corners
                    so you have a double thick 10' wide x 8' high net. Also, the net
                    should not be taut, it should be left to hang loose so an arrow
                    hitting it can easily deform it so that it absorbs the blow. Hang the
                    net about 4 feet forward of the back wall and attach the bottom
                    corners to the wall loosely so that the bottom is 2 feet behind the
                    top line, with 2 feet between the bottom edge and the wall. With this
                    slant, you'll also be able to hang the top edge at the same line as
                    the target, so you shouldn't lose much distance.

                    http://www.pricebustersports.com/16x10arne.html - 16x10, $167.

                    As for the mover's blanket, you might get more deflecting power out of
                    it if you tilt it, as well, though the tilt will need to be more
                    dramatic, closer to a 45 degree angle. At 90 degrees to the incoming
                    arrow, the arrow's force will result in penetration. At 45 degrees,
                    it should deflect and absorb impact better. If you don't have much
                    space, you *might* be able to run a series of ropes down the wall,
                    every foot or two, and gently drape the blanket back and forth in a
                    zigzag pattern. That way you'll only run into trouble if the arrow
                    hits one of the lines and breaks it.

                    On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:57 PM, lord.ormr <simpson1999@...> wrote:
                    > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only one I
                    > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more
                    > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set
                    > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                    > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                    > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with enough
                    > force to break the arrow.
                    >
                    > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket
                    > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make
                    > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.
                    >
                    > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                    > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                    >

                    > Ormr

                  • Egon
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                      Not a net but.....

                      I created my backstop using three 4x4's 8'long. Used two and made
                      pells with 6 inches out of the top for 7' total height and cemented
                      tire bases. Took the third and used it as a cross piece between the
                      two pells with 8" spikes that allow it to be placed and removed.
                      Attached hooks to the top and hang carpet, etc. whatever is on hand
                      to make my backstop. Works out to roughly 7'x8' but I only shoot 45#
                      so loose hanging carpet works great to take the force out of the
                      arrows and I only shoot 20 yards right now.

                      So I have 2 pells for heavy practice and a quick assemble backstop
                      for arrows, knives and axes. Quick takedown allows for easy storage
                      and protection from the weather. Not to mention it only cost around
                      $50 to make.

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lord.ormr" <simpson1999@...>
                      wrote:

                      > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only
                      one I
                      > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is
                      more
                      > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to
                      set
                      > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                      > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                      > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with
                      enough
                      > force to break the arrow.
                      >
                      > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers
                      blanket
                      > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to
                      make
                      > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.
                      >
                      > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an
                      8x10
                      > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                      >

                      > Ormr

                    • Fritz
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                        When John edgerton put fingers to keys it was 3/27/08 1:40 PM...

                        > Try two or three layers of old used carpet with some space between
                        > each layer.

                        Seconded. Let the carpet just hang.

                        Your mover's blanket doesn't offer much arrow resistance, pass it off to
                        a fighter to use as padding.

                        Someone here uses old silk dresses from the thrift store just hanging loose.

                        --
                        Fritz
                        Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                            When lord.ormr put fingers to keys it was 3/27/08 12:57 PM...

                            > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                            > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.

                            If you're shooting those bodkins I made, they go right through the nets.

                            I use poly bags stuffed full of poly bags as the butt. Works great.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                              There's another good point. (get it? right. ok, moving on...) If
                              you're shooting indoors you might choose to use plain target points
                              that have been filed to a substantially less pointed tip. At 20
                              yards, a parabolic rounded tip (i.e., elongated but still round) will
                              penetrate your target just fine but will have a lot more trouble
                              poking through your backstop. Using a bodkin point in a basement
                              target shoot might be overkill. Instead of bulking up with
                              ever-increasing masses of backstop material, why not just switch your
                              tips for something that isn't designed for deep penetration? At
                              $5/dozen plus a file and a little time, its certainly the cheaper
                              solution.

                              On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:
                              > If you're shooting those bodkins I made, they go right through the nets.
                              >
                              > I use poly bags stuffed full of poly bags as the butt. Works great.
                            • logantheboweyder
                              Message 14 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                I'm opposed to the crimp-on so-called safety tips often found on
                                kids arrows, especially if shot indoors. The arrow can still kill
                                someone if they hit someone in the right spot, but provide more of a
                                safety hazard by being much more likely to bounce off the target and
                                hit someone/thing.

                                Just my 2 cents, and not condemning anything.
                                Logan

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Morton" <ioldanach@...>
                                wrote:

                                > There's another good point. (get it? right. ok, moving on...) If
                                > you're shooting indoors you might choose to use plain target points
                                > that have been filed to a substantially less pointed tip. At 20
                                > yards, a parabolic rounded tip (i.e., elongated but still round)
                                will
                                > penetrate your target just fine but will have a lot more trouble
                                > poking through your backstop. Using a bodkin point in a basement
                                > target shoot might be overkill. Instead of bulking up with
                                > ever-increasing masses of backstop material, why not just switch
                                your
                                > tips for something that isn't designed for deep penetration? At
                                > $5/dozen plus a file and a little time, its certainly the cheaper
                                > solution.
                                >
                                > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:03 PM, Fritz <carl.west@...> wrote:
                                > > If you're shooting those bodkins I made, they go right through
                                the nets.

                                > > I use poly bags stuffed full of poly bags as the butt. Works
                                great.

                              • Jeff Morton
                                Message 15 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                  I wasn't thinking of those crimp-on things. I was just thinking of
                                  taking a standard steel target point and rounding over, or even
                                  flattening, the frontmost tip. (You know, the sharp conical portion
                                  with the flat sides, before it inflects to the concave arc that
                                  expands to the outer shaft dimension.) I wouldn't suggest using it
                                  outside of the basement target area but in there it should be heavy
                                  enough to provide penetration of the target and a foam or hay
                                  backstop, but not pointed enough to penetrate a decent fabric
                                  backstop. I haven't had much experience with indoor short-range
                                  shoots, though, so I don't know how far back towards the shooting line
                                  a stray shaft is likely to ricochet.

                                  On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:31 PM, logantheboweyder
                                  <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:
                                  > I'm opposed to the crimp-on so-called safety tips often found on
                                  > kids arrows, especially if shot indoors. The arrow can still kill
                                  > someone if they hit someone in the right spot, but provide more of a
                                  > safety hazard by being much more likely to bounce off the target and
                                  > hit someone/thing.
                                  >
                                  > Just my 2 cents, and not condemning anything.
                                  > Logan

                                • Talmon Parker
                                  Message 16 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                    thought you might like to add this to your files,
                                    Baron Talmon.

                                    Nearly any carpet co. will be glad to give you all the used carpet you can handle. They have to pay, to dump it at the local dump. We used one or two pieces to set up a full CATC range. One piece doubled ,8x12' over a One inch conduit frame, braced with nylon rope. 4 frames in all.
                                    Two pieces of 10 ft. steel conduit. Cut at 4' on a 45 degree angle, then welded together to form a right angle. One inline connector gives you a 8'x6' "u" shaped frame.Use a "c" clamp around one of the uprights to keep it from moving around.Use a 3 foot piece of 1/2" re-bar for outside. drive it about halfway into the ground. then lower the upright post down onto them Use a piece of 2x8x12" with a 1"hole drilled into it, for the inside shooting.
                                    BE SURE TO GET CARPET THAT IS NOT RUBBER BACKED OR NON-SLIP... The rubber will melt and coat the shafts. Use two layers if you have any blow thru's. Just put it in the trash when it gets too thin in the target area. Stops 150# cross bows at 30 yards.
                                    If you feel the need for some more fun type things. Move your target to one of the corners and try your hunting arrows. I would probably use three layers doubled for this type of fun thou.

                                    Have fun with this one.
                                    Talmon Gates edge, ansteorra

                                    DER BARON

                                    To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
                                    From: sirjon1@...
                                    Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2008 10:40:04 -0700

                                    Try two or three layers of old used carpet with some space between

                                    each layer.

                                    Jon

                                    On Mar 27, 2008, at 9:57 AM, lord.ormr wrote:

                                    > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only

                                    > one I

                                    > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more

                                    > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set

                                    > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers

                                    > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go

                                    > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with

                                    > enough

                                    > force to break the arrow.

                                    > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket

                                    > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make

                                    > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.

                                    > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10

                                    > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.

                                    > Ormr

                                  • Dayrl Merrill
                                    Message 17 of 23 , Mar 27, 2008
                                      I can get BCY's Backstop netting. It is available in White or Green but
                                      green is an additional $2.50 per foot. It is 8' 3" high with a 2"
                                      reinforcemnt with brass grommets every 12" 10' is the minimum length and
                                      the retail price is $18,75 per foot but I can get it at $16.00 per foot
                                      plus shipping. But they will drop ship it so there is only one shipping
                                      charge. If interested let me know. 15' to 25' is $2.00 cheaper and 26 to
                                      50' feet is another $1.00 less over 50' is an another $1.00 less.

                                      Rask

                                      At 01:03 PM 3/27/08, you wrote:

                                      >When lord.ormr put fingers to keys it was 3/27/08 12:57 PM...
                                      >
                                      > > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                                      > > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                                      >
                                      >If you're shooting those bodkins I made, they go right through the nets.
                                      >
                                      >I use poly bags stuffed full of poly bags as the butt. Works great.
                                      >
                                      >--
                                      >Fritz
                                      >Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

                                    • reza gilman
                                      Message 18 of 23 , Mar 28, 2008
                                        Yes we use them behind the butts to catch wild shots we have only had one archer blow through them and thats me at 20yds with a 55lb bow and 125 grain tips but for the most part they are a great help in outdoor ranges one for safety the other fewer lost arrows. just figured i would drop my 2 cents in. Hope this helps.
                                        Lord Blackleg Gilmyn
                                        Kingdom of Calontir
                                        Shire of Oakheart

[...]

                                      • Hon.Lady Arianna OSeaghdha
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Mar 29, 2008
                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lord.ormr" <simpson1999@...>
                                          wrote:http://www.esportsonline.com/?HIERCD=95182&WEBSRC=DID_OVR Try
                                          this place, the prices looked very good. Arianna

                                          > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only one I
                                          > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more
                                          > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set
                                          > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                                          > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                                          > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with enough
                                          > force to break the arrow.
                                          >
                                          > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket
                                          > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make
                                          > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.
                                          >
                                          > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                                          > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                                          >

                                          > Ormr

                                        • Jennie Fernandez
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Mar 29, 2008
                                            I,absolutely, approve of the use of archery netting.
                                            Not only does it improve safety but it cuts down on
                                            time spent looking for arrows when you have several
                                            new archers. Arianna

                                          • blooney@wi.rr.com
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Mar 30, 2008
                                              Try FS Archery - I have three 10' X 10' JVD nets rated for up to 50lb bows (target points only) I've been using at events for 3-4 years. As others have mentioned, the nets surely cut down on the time spent searching for lost arrows. I fabricated collapsable PVC poles that make them relatively easy to transport and put up. Their current cost is $137 per net. Larger sizes are available. Here's a link:

                                              http://fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382

                                              William of Mann
                                              Caer Anterth Mawr
                                              Northshield

                                              =============

                                            • blooney@wi.rr.com
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Mar 30, 2008
                                                Try FS Archery - I have three 10' X 10' JVD nets rated for up to 50lb bows (target points only) I've been using at events for 3-4 years. As others have mentioned, the nets surely cut down on the time spent searching for lost arrows. I fabricated collapsable PVC poles that make them relatively easy to transport and put up. Their current cost is $137 per net. Larger sizes are available. Here's a link:

                                                http://fsdiscountarchery.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1382

                                                William of Mann
                                                Caer Anterth Mawr
                                                Northshield

                                                ---- "Hon.Lady Arianna OSeaghdha" <fern718jen@...> wrote:

                                                =============
                                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "lord.ormr" <simpson1999@...>
                                                wrote:http://www.esportsonline.com/?HIERCD=95182&WEBSRC=DID_OVR Try
                                                this place, the prices looked very good. Arianna

                                                > The archery nets that I see online are quite spendy, but the only one I
                                                > have found that is rated above a 50# bow is about $350, which is more
                                                > than I am willing to spend. Does anyone have any ideas on how to set
                                                > up an indoor/basement range for a high power bow? I have a movers
                                                > blanket in front of the foam on the wall, but my arrows usually go
                                                > through both and hit the wall if I miss, but thankfully not with enough
                                                > force to break the arrow.
                                                >
                                                > If I buy the archery netting rated to 50# and hang the movers blanket
                                                > in front of it, Do you think that would work? I do not want to make
                                                > the investment in the archery netting if it will not do.
                                                >
                                                > Does anyone have a good source for the archery netting? I need an 8x10
                                                > (or 8x8) but can go a little smaller if needed.
                                                >

                                                > Ormr

                                              • Siegfried
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Mar 31, 2008
                                                  While I find nets great and wonderful at cutting down arrow searching time.

                                                  I am 100% against the idea of using them to 'improve safety'. IMO archery
                                                  nets should never be considered a safety feature.

                                                  Shots will go through them. Some net/bow combinations will even make the
                                                  shot that goes through them turn a 45 degree angle upwards and continue for
                                                  a LONG distance.

                                                  Therefore nets should never be trusted for 'safety', only for 'convenience'

                                                  Siegfried