Judging distance

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 77 , Mar 26, 2008
      There has been a discussion on the West Archery list of how to judge
      distance when shooting. One archer wrote that he can accurately
      judge any distance from point blank to about 200 yards. He does
      this by comparing the height of the target to the horizon which will
      give him the distance to within a yard or two.

      I would be interested to learn what systems other archers use and if
      they are as accurate as this.

    • Carolus
      Message 77 of 77 , Apr 3, 2008
        Yes, a marshal or event steward can ban sights or anything else for a
        particular event or shoot even if otherwise allowed by society and
        kingdom rules. Just as a tourney may be made great weapons only,
        hits above the waist only, or any other special rule. I have seen
        and run events that were "period" equipment only - bring your
        fiberglas and be a spectator.
        Carolus