Re: [SCA-Archery] May IKAC Report

  • firefen@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 24, 2000
      In a message dated 05/24/2000 3:41:43 AM Central Daylight Time,
      ikac@... writes:

      << The fiberglass issue was not intended to be "mean." When the Period IKAC
      division was first introduced the only requirement was no plastic nocks.
      Bonuses were given to those who used and made period equipment to encourage
      their use. As the division matured and acquired a strong base of archers,
      the bonuses were dropped and the requirements for bow construction were
      enforced. As more documentation, tools, bowyers, fletchers and teachers are
      available to us, the requirements for the Period IKAC division will continue
      to mature. There will always be growing pains, but I will try to keep them
      to a minimum.

      Um...I dont say much...but I think it is only fair that bonuses be given for
      that...and i think you are doing a good job.
      I dont have the time to do much these days but in the future I would like to
      learn to make my own arrows and get a period type bow...for now though i have
      a black fiberglass recurve that I use and I am glad becaue it can take
      punishment and still be usable. I have seen others with specail carrying
      cases etc for thier equipment...i suppose that given the money put into them
      I would do that as well...but i am still a novice and I would have hated to
      think I couldnt shoot because mine was fiberglass. I think it is an excellent
      bow for begininers to use.
      Gillian of mithlorin
    • James W. Pratt Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , May 24, 2000
        Greetings one and all

        As a novice you are welcome to shoot the IKAC with any equipment that is SCA
        legal. There is a class that covers your style of bow. But you should
        realize that there are shooters that have been shooting this contest for
        5-10 years. There are shooters that shoot every day and there are shooters
        that work all winter tunning crossbows to shoot to point of aim at 40
        yards(thats without sights). If you look at the records of years past you
        will find a lot of the same names at the top of the list. It is a tough
        contest to end up at the top at the end of the season. But that is what
        makes it good.. you are comparing yourself against the best in the SCA that
        shoot the IKAC.

        I built and tune the bow that Alan of Cearlaverock uses and he has worked
        very hard to get the bolts that work best with it. You will find that he is
        also very hard to beat in a shoulder to shoulder shoot(top score at Gulf War
        and top Crossbow at last years Lilies War) I guess what I am trying to say
        is that the IKAC is a hard contest but then it takes a hard stone to make a
        sharp edge.

        James Cunningham