Combat crossbows

  • Arion and Skadi
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
      I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a 600 "lbs one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took my money and never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for recommendations from satisfied customers of combat crossbow vendors.

      Arion the Wanderer

    • Bill Moore
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
        I can recommend Meric Archery out of Rochester, NY. I bought a bow from him
        several years ago. I have since had multiple dealings with him and have sent
        several people to him and never heard a complaint. Here is his web site
        addy. http://www.mericarchery.com/page2.html

        Edward Harbinger

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
          I know someone that might able to help you and He lives in An Tir His name Is Master Leonidas from barony of vulkanfeldt He dose great work I can show you pics of his work If you want. Let me know if you would like his no#

          Ronan Mackay

          I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a 600 "lbs one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took my money and never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for recommendations from satisfied customers of combat crossbow vendors.

          Arion the Wanderer

          <!--

          #ygrp-mkp{
          #ygrp-mkp hr{
          border:1px solid #d8d8d8;}
          #ygrp-mkp #hd{
          #ygrp-mkp #ads{
          margin-bottom:10px;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad{
          padding:0 0;}
          #ygrp-mkp .ad a{
          color:#0000ff;text-decoration:none;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc{
          font-family:Arial;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc #hd{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ygrp-lc .ad{
          margin-bottom:10px;padding:0 0;}
          -->

          <!--

          #ygrp-mlmsg * {line-height:1.22em;}
          #ygrp-text{
          font-family:Georgia;
          }
          #ygrp-text p{
          margin:0 0 1em 0;}
          #ygrp-tpmsgs{
          font-family:Arial;
          clear:both;}
          #ygrp-vitnav{
          #ygrp-vitnav a{
          padding:0 1px;}
          #ygrp-actbar{
          #ygrp-actbar .left{
          float:left;white-space:nowrap;}
          .bld{font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-grft{
          #ygrp-ft{
          padding:5px 0;
          }
          #ygrp-mlmsg #logo{
          padding-bottom:10px;}

          #ygrp-vital{
          #ygrp-vital #vithd{
          #ygrp-vital ul{
          padding:0;margin:2px 0;}
          #ygrp-vital ul li{
          }
          #ygrp-vital ul li .ct{
          #ygrp-vital ul li .cat{
          font-weight:bold;}
          #ygrp-vital a{
          text-decoration:none;}

          #ygrp-vital a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}

          #ygrp-sponsor #hd{
          color:#999;font-size:77%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov ul{
          padding:0 0 0 8px;margin:0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li{
          #ygrp-sponsor #ov li a{
          text-decoration:none;font-size:130%;}
          #ygrp-sponsor #nc{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad{
          padding:8px 0;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad #hd1{
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a{
          text-decoration:none;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad a:hover{
          text-decoration:underline;}
          #ygrp-sponsor .ad p{
          margin:0;}
          o{font-size:0;}
          .MsoNormal{
          margin:0 0 0 0;}
          #ygrp-text tt{
          font-size:120%;}
          blockquote{margin:0 0 0 4px;}
          .replbq{margin:4;}
          -->

        • Arthen ap Rhun
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 8, 2008
            Sir Bartholomew Hightower of Artemisia is known to be a very reputable
            person and just happens to sell crossbows. His website is:

            http://www.hightowercrossbows.com/

            Arthen ap Rhun

            I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a 600 "lbs
            one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took my money and
            never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for recommendations from satisfied
            customers of combat crossbow vendors.

            Arion the Wanderer

            Messages
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/message/24362;_ylc=X3oDMTM1NzJqYn
            E4BF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEbXNnSWQDMjQzNj
            IEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDdnRwYwRzdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0BHRwY0lkAzI0MzYy> in this
            topic (1)
            3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEbXNnSWQDMjQzNjIEc2VjA2Z
            0cgRzbGsDcnBseQRzdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0?act=reply&messageNum=24362> Reply (via
            web post) | Start
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJkczRuZGlsBF9TAzk
            3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbnRwYwR
            zdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0> a new topic

            Messages
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/messages;_ylc=X3oDMTJkdTRsZGFpBF9
            TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbXN
            ncwRzdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0> | Files
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/files;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZzVhaTZlBF9TAz
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZmlsZX
            MEc3RpbWUDMTIwNTAyNzQ1NA--> | Photos
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/photos;_ylc=X3oDMTJkZHFzdG5lBF9TA
            zk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcGhvd
            ARzdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0> | Links
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/links;_ylc=X3oDMTJlZmo0YzQwBF9TAz
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbGlua3
            MEc3RpbWUDMTIwNTAyNzQ1NA--> | Database
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/database;_ylc=X3oDMTJidDJkOG9pBF9
            TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDZGI
            Ec3RpbWUDMTIwNTAyNzQ1NA--> | Polls
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/polls;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOXFqbWJwBF9TAz
            k3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDcG9sbH
            MEc3RpbWUDMTIwNTAyNzQ1NA--> | Members
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJkNG1ncnUwBF9T
            Azk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDbWJy
            cwRzdGltZQMxMjA1MDI3NDU0> | Calendar
            <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SCA-Archery/calendar;_ylc=X3oDMTJjNW10bzcyBF9
            TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzI1OTUzMQRncnBzcElkAzE3MDU3Njc1MDMEc2VjA2Z0cgRzbGsDY2F
            sBHN0aW1lAzEyMDUwMjc0NTQ-> ___

          • Father Michael
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 9, 2008
              If you are looking for someone to make you a crossbow, I would offer
              the name of Brun Canutesson in Midrehlm, who can be reached directly
              at wbfountain@.... I believe he may also still sell off the
              shelf through Argent Lupus in Caid as well. This is the information
              on the Argent Lupus website regarding his crossbows.
              www.argentlupus.com/docs/brun_catalog_2006.pdf

              I have found both Brun and the Ms. Ashley at White Wolf Armory to be
              honest and eager to please. I purchased my first Combat Crossbow off-
              the-shelf at Estrella 2 or 3 years ago, and was so pleased with it, I
              commissioned a second, custom takedown model directly from Sgt.
              Canutesson last year. If the folks at argent lupus don't have a 600
              in-lb. model, I would suggest contacting Brun directly. I'm sure he
              can take care of what ever you need.

              I have also heard good things about Fellwalker Crossbows from friends
              down in Atenveldt, but am not personally familiar with them. From
              what I hear, they are oft copied, which speaks of a good reputation,
              but I would rather have the benefit of their experience than save a
              bit making my own.

              Good hunting to You'

              Father Michael
              Oertha, The West

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Arion and Skadi" <arion@...>
              wrote:

              > I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a
              600 "lbs one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took
              my money and never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for
              recommendations from satisfied customers of combat crossbow vendors.

              > Arion the Wanderer

            • Carolus
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 11, 2008
                Inga from Argent Lupus was one of my Range Marshals. I will attest
                to her fine character and good business practices. Fellwalker
                crossbows are no longer made due to health issues, only copies based
                on the design.constructed by other makers.
                Carolus

                At 09:40 PM 3/9/2008, you wrote:

                >If you are looking for someone to make you a crossbow, I would offer
                >the name of Brun Canutesson in Midrehlm, who can be reached directly
                >at <mailto:wbfountain%40aol.com>wbfountain@.... I believe he may
                >also still sell off the
                >shelf through Argent Lupus in Caid as well. This is the information
                >on the Argent Lupus website regarding his crossbows.
                >www.argentlupus.com/docs/brun_catalog_2006.pdf
                >
                >I have found both Brun and the Ms. Ashley at White Wolf Armory to be
                >honest and eager to please. I purchased my first Combat Crossbow off-
                >the-shelf at Estrella 2 or 3 years ago, and was so pleased with it, I
                >commissioned a second, custom takedown model directly from Sgt.
                >Canutesson last year. If the folks at argent lupus don't have a 600
                >in-lb. model, I would suggest contacting Brun directly. I'm sure he
                >can take care of what ever you need.
                >
                >I have also heard good things about Fellwalker Crossbows from friends
                >down in Atenveldt, but am not personally familiar with them. From
                >what I hear, they are oft copied, which speaks of a good reputation,
                >but I would rather have the benefit of their experience than save a
                >bit making my own.
                >
                >Good hunting to You'
                >
                >Father Michael
                >Oertha, The West
                >
                >--- In
                ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
                >"Arion and Skadi" <arion@...>
                >wrote:
                > >
                > > I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a
                >600 "lbs one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took
                >my money and never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for
                >recommendations from satisfied customers of combat crossbow vendors.
                > >
                > > Arion the Wanderer

                >Checked by AVG.
                >3/10/2008 7:27 PM

              • Arion and Skadi
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 12, 2008
                  I was wondering about Fellwalker. The website looks to be several years old and not updated.

                  At 09:40 PM 3/9/2008, you wrote:

                  >If you are looking for someone to make you a crossbow, I would offer
                  >the name of Brun Canutesson in Midrehlm, who can be reached directly
                  >at <mailto:wbfountain%40aol.com>wbfountain@.... I believe he may
                  >also still sell off the
                  >shelf through Argent Lupus in Caid as well. This is the information
                  >on the Argent Lupus website regarding his crossbows.
                  >www.argentlupus.com/docs/brun_catalog_2006.pdf
                  >
                  >I have found both Brun and the Ms. Ashley at White Wolf Armory to be
                  >honest and eager to please. I purchased my first Combat Crossbow off-
                  >the-shelf at Estrella 2 or 3 years ago, and was so pleased with it, I
                  >commissioned a second, custom takedown model directly from Sgt.
                  >Canutesson last year. If the folks at argent lupus don't have a 600
                  >in-lb. model, I would suggest contacting Brun directly. I'm sure he
                  >can take care of what ever you need.
                  >
                  >I have also heard good things about Fellwalker Crossbows from friends
                  >down in Atenveldt, but am not personally familiar with them. From
                  >what I hear, they are oft copied, which speaks of a good reputation,
                  >but I would rather have the benefit of their experience than save a
                  >bit making my own.
                  >
                  >Good hunting to You'
                  >
                  >Father Michael
                  >Oertha, The West
                  >
                  >--- In
                  ><mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com,
                  >"Arion and Skadi" <arion@...>
                  >wrote:
                  > >
                  > > I want to buy a combat crossbow. Since I live in An Tir I need a
                  >600 "lbs one. I have a bad experience with an armor in the past (took
                  >my money and never produced the goods). So, I'm asking for
                  >recommendations from satisfied customers of combat crossbow vendors.
                  > >
                  > > Arion the Wanderer

                  >Checked by AVG.
                  >3/10/2008 7:27 PM

                • Andros Korkyrates
                  Message 8 of 15 , Apr 4, 2008
                    I would second the recommendation & praise of THL (wasn't he knighted
                    during Estrella?) Hightower's crossbows - I got mine from him four
                    years ago and everything, from process of ordering through pricing and
                    delivery timeframe, not to mention the superb quality of the weapon
                    itself, was just amazing.

                    http://hightowercrossbows.com/

                    Andros

                    2008/3/12 Arion and Skadi <arion@...>:

                    > I was wondering about Fellwalker. The website looks to be several years old
                    > and not updated.

                    Andro Berkovic

                    "Neque porro quisquam est qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet,
                    consectetur, adipisci velit..."
                  • joe scheidt
                    Message 9 of 15 , Apr 4, 2008
                      I second that second. we bought 5 or 6 at once, mine is used regularly and love every shot i take.

                      I would second the recommendation & praise of THL (wasn't he knighted
                      during Estrella?) Hightower's crossbows - I got mine from him four
                      years ago and everything, from process of ordering through pricing and
                      delivery timeframe, not to mention the superb quality of the weapon
                      itself, was just amazing.

                      http://hightowercro ssbows.com/

                      Andros

                      2008/3/12 Arion and Skadi <arion@...>:

                      > I was wondering about Fellwalker. The website looks to be several years old
                      > and not updated.

                    • Rusty McMillan
                      Message 10 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
                        Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
                        recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
                        Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
                        nut release?

                        Randal

                      • blkknighti@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
                          For usage in target archery perhaps a roller nut may have the advantage of
                          being somewhat smoother hence aid in accuracy but on the battle field I have
                          found a rising pin release quite a bit better than my roller nut bow. It may be
                          personal preference but I would advise a rising pin over roller nut.
                          I think the best place to ask this would be on the SCA Missile combat list.

                          Richard

                          In a message dated 4/5/08 7:17:04 PM, randal_of_camusfearna@... writes:

                          > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
                          > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
                          > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
                          > nut release?
                          >
                          > Randal

                        • Frederick Fenters
                          Message 12 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
                            There are several different types of different releases that are available
                            and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is of
                            greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a whole
                            'nother beast than target shooting.

                            Padraig MacRaighne

                            _____

                            <mailto:randal_of_camusfearna%40yahoo.com> na@... writes:

                            > Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
                            > recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
                            > Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
                            > nut release?
                            >
                            > Randal

                          • Carolus
                            Message 13 of 15 , Apr 5, 2008
                              Having built roller nut combat crossbows I can say I prefer them to
                              other release types but find them much more difficult to build and am
                              not sure the work is worth it in light of the other compromises made
                              on the combat field. If points were awarded for how close we came to
                              period equipment with allowance for our safety rules then it would be
                              another thing.
                              Carolus

                              At 04:16 PM 4/5/2008, you wrote:

                              >Knowing very little about crossbows, I am assuming from the
                              >recommendations posted that the trigger/release mechanism of the
                              >Hightowers is not seen as a disadvantage when compared to a rolling
                              >nut release?
                              >
                              >Randal

                            • jameswolfden
                              Message 14 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
                                But even in target archery, I have seen some very accurate shooting
                                from the notchlocks crossbows including some ludicrous bowman scores.
                                A rolling nut is great and probably the most common of the releases
                                used but high scores can be obtained with a less sophisticated (but
                                often more reliable) release.

                                James

                                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Frederick Fenters" <padraig@...>
                                wrote:

                                > There are several different types of different releases that are
                                available
                                > and were in use in period. IMHO, a durable and reliable release is
                                of
                                > greater concern than a really smooth release. Combat archery is a
                                whole
                                > 'nother beast than target shooting.
                                >

                                > Padraig MacRaighne

                              • Andros Korkyrates
                                Message 15 of 15 , Apr 6, 2008
                                  In my experience, rolling nut crossbows have smoother release, but
                                  tend to suffer from high maintenance issues - bits of debris can jam
                                  or misalign your nut, and so can a bit of impact or shake, depending
                                  on design. They also have a somewhat lower (at least for me) rate of
                                  fire than pin/notch crossbows; though I guess some crossbow makers do
                                  make rolling nuts with position-reset spring coil?

                                  If anything, rolling nut crossbows do not need a retainer clip, while
                                  on pin/notch crossbows it is very helpful to have one...

                                  Andros Korkyrates