Re: Arm Guards

  • logantheboweyder
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 7, 2008
      I didn't respond early because I wanted you to get someone to give
      you what you were asking for, an above-the-elbow arm-guard.

      You are correct in that you are needing to improve your technique
      (form), and I have a suggestion that may help.

      When you are holding your bow, ready to shoot, if you bend your
      elbow, your hand should move horizontally towards you, not
      vertically towards you. That seems to be the easiest way for me to
      help someone, much more intuitively than "rotate your elbow out of
      the way".

      BTW, yes, bruises caused by the string pinching the skin up against
      the back of the armguard does make for spectacular bruising.

      If you check out the Olympics this summer on the TV, you will see
      that every archer uses an arm guard, despite having text-book form.
      Having an arm guard on helps stop flinching as well.

      Welcome back!
      Logan

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de
      Strigoil <archergodwin@...> wrote:

      > >Hello I have been lurking for a while now, but I have a question
      > >
      > >someone might be able to help me with:
      > >
      > >I am looking for a pattern for an arm guard that would protect
      the

      > >upper arm as well as the forearm.
      > >
      > >I did archery MANY years ago and I want to start again. I got
      two,

      > >older recurve bows for Christmas (a 20# and a 25#) and got to
      shoot

      > >for about an hour. I had surprisingly good groupings but I also
      ended

      > >up with a bruise that any heavy fighter would be proud of. I know
      > >
      > >that part of my problem is technique, but I also have weird
      double

      > >jointed elbows. So, until I learn to keep them out of harms way,
      > >
      > >need an arm guard. HELP!
      > >
      > >YIS Teresa
      >
      > Dear Lady,
      >
      > Most ladies have this issue. It is a function of skeletal
      differences. It is not
      > easy to remember to "rotate" your elbow out of the way. :)
      >
      > The string probably hit your arm, where your elbow joint protrudes
      more on
      > 'inside' of your arm?
      >
      > Since I make my own armguards and actually am teaching a class
      tomorrow on it,
      > I'll play around with making a pattern, and bounce the idea off of
      several of our
      > lady archers. Would be happy to send it to you afterwards. :)
      >
      > Godwin
      > ---- Msg sent via CableONE.net MyMail - http://www.cableone.net

    • Rayne
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 10, 2008
        <archergodwin@...> wrote:

        > I can provide a basic pattern, that you can modify to fit your arm.

        Lord Godwin,

        I too would be interested in the pattern. Maybe the pattern can be
        posted to the community under in the files area? :D

        Rayne