Re: Arm Guards

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 7, 2008
      >Hello I have been lurking for a while now, but I have a question
      >
      >someone might be able to help me with:
      >
      >I am looking for a pattern for an arm guard that would protect the
      >
      >upper arm as well as the forearm.
      >
      >I did archery MANY years ago and I want to start again. I got two,
      >
      >older recurve bows for Christmas (a 20# and a 25#) and got to shoot
      >
      >for about an hour. I had surprisingly good groupings but I also ended
      >
      >up with a bruise that any heavy fighter would be proud of. I know
      >
      >that part of my problem is technique, but I also have weird double
      >
      >jointed elbows. So, until I learn to keep them out of harms way, I
      >
      >need an arm guard. HELP!
      >
      >YIS Teresa

      Dear Lady,

      Most ladies have this issue. It is a function of skeletal differences. It is not
      easy to remember to "rotate" your elbow out of the way. :)

      The string probably hit your arm, where your elbow joint protrudes more on
      'inside' of your arm?

      Since I make my own armguards and actually am teaching a class tomorrow on it,
      I'll play around with making a pattern, and bounce the idea off of several of our
      lady archers. Would be happy to send it to you afterwards. :)

      Godwin
    • Rayne
      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 10, 2008
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
        <archergodwin@...> wrote:

        > I can provide a basic pattern, that you can modify to fit your arm.

        Lord Godwin,

        I too would be interested in the pattern. Maybe the pattern can be
        posted to the community under in the files area? :D

        Rayne