RE: [SCA-Archery] Re:Arm Guards

  • Oakes, George
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 7 9:49 AM
      Interesting subject:

      Proper archery form, while I agree, that proper form for shooting a bow
      should not require the use of a arm guard, it is very helpful when you
      are learning, so as not to injure yourself to badly. I have been out of
      archery for a dozen or more years, and just now getting back into it,
      and let me tell you the first day on the range had my left forearm arm
      swelled up like a black & blue balloon. That kind of damage to your arm
      is not a good thing as blood clots and other things can be produced and
      could be hazarous to ones health. And with the weight of bow I pull
      +65lbs, even a tiny slap from the bow string can produce a very mean
      welt.

      So that a merchant would not sell you an armguard lest it be for Garb,
      is hogwash, and you will not find me endorsing that train of thought. An
      armguard does prevent injury but it also serves another purpose
      alltogether and as an Archery Ranger I see it time and time again. Our
      garb is getting in the way, long flowing billowy sleeves are constantly
      getting in the way of the bowstring, causeing a miss or even worse a
      miss-fire ( in that the arrow does not go in the intended direction )
      and could possibly cause someone else injury. I always carry rubber
      bands, and leather straps in my kit so I can lend them to a shooter
      having Garb issues. Short big sleeves are the worse, and many a lady in
      our kingdom wears them. Trust me it is far more difficult to tie up a
      short sleeve than it is a long-sleeve, and being in Florida most are
      short sleeves.

      I have made a pair of heavy leather bracers for the purpose of acting
      like a Arm-guard on the left arm and decoration on the right arm. I have
      also addorned the outside of the bracers with stainless steel Chainmaile
      Scales. They look totaly wicked and the Left arm guard/guanlet is made
      in such a way that it opens and ties up along the bottom outside of my
      forearm so the strings/ties will not get caught in the bow string
      either. I will be happy to share pictures when I have them and my camera
      together at the same time. The right bracer is designed as normal and
      opens and ties on the inside of my forearm. Other than that they are
      nearly identical.

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 10 3:47 PM
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
        <archergodwin@...> wrote:

        > I can provide a basic pattern, that you can modify to fit your arm.

        Lord Godwin,

        I too would be interested in the pattern. Maybe the pattern can be
        posted to the community under in the files area? :D

        Rayne