Re: turning a barrel into a horse

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

      > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
      >
      >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
      >
      >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
      >
      >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
      >
      >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
      >
      >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
      >
      >Mariana

      Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
      this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
      have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
      would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
      control separate from lower body control.

      Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

      Godwin

    • runewald
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
        Recommend that you contact the Archery General for the Kingdom of
        AEthelmearc, ae.archerymarshal@..., and ask how they made
        the barrel horses for "Will's Revenge" from a couple of years ago.

        Lord Robert Runewald
        Seneschal
        Barony of Lochmere, Kingdom of Atlantia
        On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Michelle Yurko wrote:

        > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
        > in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
        > would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
        > My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
        > to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
        > rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
        >
        > Mariana

      • i_griffen
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
          Well If you live close to Atenveldt I could possibly help you out. I
          have an adult size rocking horse that you could possibly make a pattern
          from.

          Iain Griffen

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Yurko" <mmyurko@...>