Re: turning a barrel into a horse

  • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

      > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
      >
      >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
      >
      >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
      >
      >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
      >
      >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
      >
      >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
      >
      >Mariana

      Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
      this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
      have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
      would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
      control separate from lower body control.

      Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

      Godwin
    • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

        > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
        >
        >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
        >
        >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
        >
        >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
        >
        >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
        >
        >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
        >
        >Mariana

        Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
        this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
        have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
        would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
        control separate from lower body control.

        Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

        Godwin

      • runewald
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
          Recommend that you contact the Archery General for the Kingdom of
          AEthelmearc, ae.archerymarshal@..., and ask how they made
          the barrel horses for "Will's Revenge" from a couple of years ago.

          Lord Robert Runewald
          Seneschal
          Barony of Lochmere, Kingdom of Atlantia
          On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Michelle Yurko wrote:

          > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
          > in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
          > would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
          > My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
          > to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
          > rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
          >
          > Mariana

        • i_griffen
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
            Well If you live close to Atenveldt I could possibly help you out. I
            have an adult size rocking horse that you could possibly make a pattern
            from.

            Iain Griffen

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Yurko" <mmyurko@...>