RE: [SCA-Archery] turning a barrel into a horse

  • Frederick Fenters
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
      I would suggest that you put some sort of minimal frame inside the barrel to
      guard against collapse. A simple capital "I" whit the crossbars at top and
      bottom serving as the anchor points for your suspension is what I mean. A
      little experimentation with the suspension could save you money and effort,
      too. I do not think you will necessarily need springs at the corners. A
      skein of nylon rope (say 4 or 5 loops) at the corners would provide some
      action and bounce and be much cheaper than springs.

      My Grandpa was a whiz at building things and made a baby elephant for
      Grandma's first grade classroom using a nail keg for the frame of the body.
      He reinforced it so that the kids could actually "ride" it. It was covered
      with papier-mache and Grandma had it in the room for at least 10 years.

      Padraig

      _____

      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
        Go to a place where they teach polo. It is common to use a barrel to work on
        swinging the mallet. It is suspended from the four corners

        Damales (who uses a real horse when being silly)

        _____

        From: HYPERLINK
        "mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com"SCA-Archery@-yahoogroups.-com
        I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
        in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
        would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
        My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
        to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
        rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.

        Mariana

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        8:35 AM

        Checked by AVG Free Edition.
        8:35 AM

      • Hilary Holding
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
          I also hope to eventually have something similar that is portable and
          can be brought to the archery range for folks to try. My horse doesn't
          fit in the cab of my truck.....and then my daughter's pony would want to
          go too. I can't get them to want to ride in the back where there's no AC
          and stereo.

          I'll second the fortification of barrels if you use the plastic ones.
          They do tend to collapse even if you have a saddle you can secure to it.
          Pickle and Pepper barrels with the twist on lids don't work well.

          Here is a link to a European group who had a barrel horse with a head.
          Look in the photo gallery for 2003. "Hunting Season 2003' and scroll
          down.

          http://www.sca-austria.org/a-index/haupt/hpt-index-en.html
          <http://www.sca-austria.org/a-index/haupt/hpt-index-en.html>

          If you know someone who can weld and you want something that is easily
          portable for repeat use take a look at this 'steel horse'. Scroll to
          page 4.

          http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/SaudiAramcoWorld/HistorysCurve.pdf
          <http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/SaudiAramcoWorld/HistorysCurve.pd\
          f>

          The benefit to this contraption is that you can rotate the 'mounted
          archer' to simulate the approaching and parting shots too. IMHO this is
          more important then getting the wobbly action. When I shoot from my
          horse I stand a bit in my stirrups and my knees act to cushion the up
          slight up/down/contract/expand motion my horse makes. If I ever
          experience the side to side or wobbly motion then something is wrong -
          like a loose saddle or drunk horse. Yes, he does like beer.

          You can get alot of cool ideas from YouTube if you search for "bucking
          barrel".

          http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaJuDTVguUI&feature=related
          <http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaJuDTVguUI&feature=related>

          Rodeo message boards also have DIY bucking Barrel Info. For example.

          http://www.cowboy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3917
          <http://www.cowboy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3917>

          I remember boarding at a barn that use to have a polo training cage. It
          reminded me of the 'Globe of Death' (the ones the circus had with 2
          motor cyles going around inside at a dizzying speed). The floor was
          rounded so the ball always came back. The horse was steel on a big
          spring that swiveled easily. It had a head and neck that moved too.
          Complete with working saddle and reins! Those polo people are serious!

          Hilary

        • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

            > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
            >
            >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
            >
            >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
            >
            >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
            >
            >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
            >
            >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
            >
            >Mariana

            Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
            this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
            have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
            would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
            control separate from lower body control.

            Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

            Godwin
          • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

              > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
              >
              >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
              >
              >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
              >
              >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
              >
              >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
              >
              >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
              >
              >Mariana

              Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
              this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
              have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
              would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
              control separate from lower body control.

              Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

              Godwin

            • runewald
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                Recommend that you contact the Archery General for the Kingdom of
                AEthelmearc, ae.archerymarshal@..., and ask how they made
                the barrel horses for "Will's Revenge" from a couple of years ago.

                Lord Robert Runewald
                Seneschal
                Barony of Lochmere, Kingdom of Atlantia
                On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Michelle Yurko wrote:

                > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
                > in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
                > would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
                > My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
                > to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
                > rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
                >
                > Mariana

              • i_griffen
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Well If you live close to Atenveldt I could possibly help you out. I
                  have an adult size rocking horse that you could possibly make a pattern
                  from.

                  Iain Griffen

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Yurko" <mmyurko@...>