Re: turning a barrel into a horse

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 4, 2008
      I was going to try this once and never got around to it. I was working from a diagram I had
      seen in a Scouting book. I can't find the book now but I seem to recall the barrel was
      suspended between a frame using inner tubes to provide the springs.

      I would recommend that you add a 'head' to the front to give more realism and have them
      shoot riding toward the target, sideways to the target, and riding away from the target.

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Michelle Yurko" <mmyurko@...> wrote:

      > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
      > in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
      > would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
      > My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
      > to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
      > rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
      >
      > Mariana

    • Frederick Fenters
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
        I would suggest that you put some sort of minimal frame inside the barrel to
        guard against collapse. A simple capital "I" whit the crossbars at top and
        bottom serving as the anchor points for your suspension is what I mean. A
        little experimentation with the suspension could save you money and effort,
        too. I do not think you will necessarily need springs at the corners. A
        skein of nylon rope (say 4 or 5 loops) at the corners would provide some
        action and bounce and be much cheaper than springs.

        My Grandpa was a whiz at building things and made a baby elephant for
        Grandma's first grade classroom using a nail keg for the frame of the body.
        He reinforced it so that the kids could actually "ride" it. It was covered
        with papier-mache and Grandma had it in the room for at least 10 years.

        Padraig

        _____

        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
          Go to a place where they teach polo. It is common to use a barrel to work on
          swinging the mallet. It is suspended from the four corners

          Damales (who uses a real horse when being silly)

          _____

          From: HYPERLINK
          "mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com"SCA-Archery@-yahoogroups.-com
          I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
          in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
          would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
          My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
          to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
          rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.

          Mariana

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          8:35 AM

          Checked by AVG Free Edition.
          8:35 AM

        • Hilary Holding
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
            I also hope to eventually have something similar that is portable and
            can be brought to the archery range for folks to try. My horse doesn't
            fit in the cab of my truck.....and then my daughter's pony would want to
            go too. I can't get them to want to ride in the back where there's no AC
            and stereo.

            I'll second the fortification of barrels if you use the plastic ones.
            They do tend to collapse even if you have a saddle you can secure to it.
            Pickle and Pepper barrels with the twist on lids don't work well.

            Here is a link to a European group who had a barrel horse with a head.
            Look in the photo gallery for 2003. "Hunting Season 2003' and scroll
            down.

            http://www.sca-austria.org/a-index/haupt/hpt-index-en.html
            <http://www.sca-austria.org/a-index/haupt/hpt-index-en.html>

            If you know someone who can weld and you want something that is easily
            portable for repeat use take a look at this 'steel horse'. Scroll to
            page 4.

            http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/SaudiAramcoWorld/HistorysCurve.pdf
            <http://www.texasarchery.org/Documents/SaudiAramcoWorld/HistorysCurve.pd\
            f>

            The benefit to this contraption is that you can rotate the 'mounted
            archer' to simulate the approaching and parting shots too. IMHO this is
            more important then getting the wobbly action. When I shoot from my
            horse I stand a bit in my stirrups and my knees act to cushion the up
            slight up/down/contract/expand motion my horse makes. If I ever
            experience the side to side or wobbly motion then something is wrong -
            like a loose saddle or drunk horse. Yes, he does like beer.

            You can get alot of cool ideas from YouTube if you search for "bucking
            barrel".

            http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaJuDTVguUI&feature=related
            <http://youtube.com/watch?v=QaJuDTVguUI&feature=related>

            Rodeo message boards also have DIY bucking Barrel Info. For example.

            http://www.cowboy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3917
            <http://www.cowboy.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=3917>

            I remember boarding at a barn that use to have a polo training cage. It
            reminded me of the 'Globe of Death' (the ones the circus had with 2
            motor cyles going around inside at a dizzying speed). The floor was
            rounded so the ball always came back. The horse was steel on a big
            spring that swiveled easily. It had a head and neck that moved too.
            Complete with working saddle and reins! Those polo people are serious!

            Hilary

          • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

              > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
              >
              >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
              >
              >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
              >
              >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
              >
              >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
              >
              >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
              >
              >Mariana

              Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
              this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
              have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
              would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
              control separate from lower body control.

              Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

              Godwin
            • Lord Godwin FitzGilbert de Strigoil
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008

                > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
                >
                >in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
                >
                >would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
                >
                >My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
                >
                >to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
                >
                >rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
                >
                >Mariana

                Of course you could aways make the "horse" move, by suspending it. I have seen
                this done on many ranches, by suspending the barrel by rope at four corners. You
                have to make stout corner posts with good support, but the movement of the barrel
                would require the horseback archer to maintain very good balance and upper body
                control separate from lower body control.

                Would be fun, but if space is limited might be hard to pull off.

                Godwin

              • runewald
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                  Recommend that you contact the Archery General for the Kingdom of
                  AEthelmearc, ae.archerymarshal@..., and ask how they made
                  the barrel horses for "Will's Revenge" from a couple of years ago.

                  Lord Robert Runewald
                  Seneschal
                  Barony of Lochmere, Kingdom of Atlantia
                  On Mar 4, 2008, at 3:27 PM, Michelle Yurko wrote:

                  > I am looking to turn a plastic barrel into a horse for a target shoot
                  > in June. I have seen this transformation happen at Will's Revenge and
                  > would love any thoughts and words of wisdom on how to accomplish this.
                  > My thought is to sit on the barrel and shoot at a target, I would like
                  > to use springs in the four corners so that it resembles an old fashion
                  > rocking horse. Again any ideas are appreciated.
                  >
                  > Mariana

                • i_griffen
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 5, 2008
                    Well If you live close to Atenveldt I could possibly help you out. I
                    have an adult size rocking horse that you could possibly make a pattern
                    from.

                    Iain Griffen