Re: [SCA-Archery] Has anyone read...

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14 9:45 AM
      Not a bad book but not as detailed as others. Covers making a bow from
      two yew billets spliced together at the handle. There is also an
      accompanying video.

      I would get the Bowyers Bibles and Dean Torges books first.

      Regards,

      -EA

      Richard Yeager wrote:
      > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

    • Richard Yeager
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14 11:15 AM
        Thanks. I have the Bibles. Was just curious about St. Charles' book. I think he is a 3rd generation bowyer if I understand the family genealogy correctly. His son makes some fairly incredible Yew bows from what I understand.

        I haven't looked closely at Dean Torges writings. Sounds like I need to.

        Thanks,

        Richard

        Eadric Anstapa <eadric@...> wrote: Not a bad book but not as detailed as others. Covers making a bow from

        Richard Yeager wrote:
        > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14 11:22 AM
          Have u seen they came out with a VOl 4 now of the Bowyers bible...

          Have it on my list to buy, then i will have the complete set :)

          ________________________________

          Eadric Anstapa <eadric@... <mailto:eadric%40scabrewer.com> >

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14 1:17 PM
            I saw that it was due out, but didn't think it would available till next month.

            "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote: Have u seen they came out with a VOl 4 now of the Bowyers bible...

            Richard Yeager wrote:
            > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

          • Arion and Skadi
            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14 8:46 PM
              Good book if you want to build a yew longbow. Comstock's The Bent Stick is excellent. Torges is also good.

              Arion the Wanderer

              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 15 4:06 AM
                I havnt looked to order the book, yet, so I didnt know if it was out yet
                or not, I just was emailed that it was coming out.

                I will see if I can make a pre-order.

                THanks for the heads up.

                Going to Starhaven this weekend to run the range. See you later

                Gavin

                ________________________________

                From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>

                Richard Yeager wrote:
                > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

              • RJ Bachner
                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 17 10:50 AM
                  Heya

                  I read the book a few times and I really did not find much to apply directly
                  to bow making. It was a great story, loads of tips and tidbits and some
                  explicit instructions but not really enough of a "this is how you do it"
                  instructions. I found that disappointing but on the whole the story was
                  worth reading just for the view of archery in the last century or so.

                  Ragi

                  Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...