Has anyone read...

  • Richard Yeager
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
      Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
        Not a bad book but not as detailed as others. Covers making a bow from
        two yew billets spliced together at the handle. There is also an
        accompanying video.

        I would get the Bowyers Bibles and Dean Torges books first.

        Regards,

        -EA

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
          Thanks. I have the Bibles. Was just curious about St. Charles' book. I think he is a 3rd generation bowyer if I understand the family genealogy correctly. His son makes some fairly incredible Yew bows from what I understand.

          I haven't looked closely at Dean Torges writings. Sounds like I need to.

          Thanks,

          Richard

          Eadric Anstapa <eadric@...> wrote: Not a bad book but not as detailed as others. Covers making a bow from

          Richard Yeager wrote:
          > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

        • Oakes, George
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
            Have u seen they came out with a VOl 4 now of the Bowyers bible...

            Have it on my list to buy, then i will have the complete set :)

            ________________________________

            Eadric Anstapa <eadric@... <mailto:eadric%40scabrewer.com> >

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
              I saw that it was due out, but didn't think it would available till next month.

              "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote: Have u seen they came out with a VOl 4 now of the Bowyers bible...

              Richard Yeager wrote:
              > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

            • Arion and Skadi
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 14, 2008
                Good book if you want to build a yew longbow. Comstock's The Bent Stick is excellent. Torges is also good.

                Arion the Wanderer

                Message 7 of 8 , Feb 15, 2008
                  I havnt looked to order the book, yet, so I didnt know if it was out yet
                  or not, I just was emailed that it was coming out.

                  I will see if I can make a pre-order.

                  THanks for the heads up.

                  Going to Starhaven this weekend to run the range. See you later

                  Gavin

                  ________________________________

                  From: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>

                  Richard Yeager wrote:
                  > Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...

                • RJ Bachner
                  Message 8 of 8 , Feb 17, 2008
                    Heya

                    I read the book a few times and I really did not find much to apply directly
                    to bow making. It was a great story, loads of tips and tidbits and some
                    explicit instructions but not really enough of a "this is how you do it"
                    instructions. I found that disappointing but on the whole the story was
                    worth reading just for the view of archery in the last century or so.

                    Ragi

                    Glenn St. Charles' book, Billets to Bows? How was it? Useful? etc...