Pre-Draw (was Re: Shooting Form)

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008

      Hobbe wrote:

      > I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
      > but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
      > also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...
      >
      > Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
      > do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
      > travel farther than you wish.

      I believe both these problems can be addressed in the Pre-Draw. I have
      found that using a technique taken from Japanese archery works for me.
      First hold both your bow hand and string hand slightly above your head
      with the arrow level to the ground (this is called Climbing Mount
      something or another in Japanese archery). Then draw the bow by puling
      both hands down to your draw and anchor position, moving in as straight
      a line as possible. If you do it right, you will feel it in the back
      right off. You can not avoid using you back instead of your arms. It
      also keeps the arrow safely pointed down range the entire time.

      Not that my form is perfect by any means. I still have the pluck, I was
      known for (and some of my students picked up). I keep hoping it's
      consistent enough that is a part of my form almost like a certain
      Olympic archer that used to shoot for ASU. But somehow I don't think so :)

      Njall

      --

      Scott B. Jaqua
      Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
        Ok, one step at a time is the only way to move forward. I am going to
        concentrate first on my release. It is very apparent that I am plucking my
        string like a base guitar. Some of this may be from homemade/cheap shooting
        glove trying to clear the fingertips of the glove. I will look at this and
        practice the "let the hand relax, the string will follow" method I "thought"
        I was doing. I looked at that video several times and never noticed the
        things spoken of until they were pointed out. I see them now. This is
        turning out to be similar to a bow build along, but instead a shooting form
        build along..thanks!

        Domingos

        _____

        I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
        but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
        also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

        Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
        do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
        travel farther than you wish.

        Respectfully,
        Hobbe

      • John and Carol Atkins
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
          Many good points here but the one I noticed and it's effect was
          commented here by Carolus is holding the draw. Carolus and others
          pointed out your shoulders seem hunched and your draw/release occurs
          rapidly. Good for speed rounds, not so good for untimed rounds. I
          think the problem here lies in your stance. You appear to be using
          what is called an open stance. In this case, very open stance. That
          is, the basic stance has your toes perpendicular to a line from your
          position to the target. In this position your bow arm is referred to
          as being bone on bone on bone. That is, bow hand anchored to arm,
          anchored to shoulder. In this configuration it takes little arm
          strength to hold and maintain a steady aim prior to release. Now
          also, if you are using the basic stance as you reach your anchor
          point, I tell folks "stick your chest out". This forces your body to
          use your back muscles to hold the draw and takes the strain off your
          arm muscles. It also adds an inch or two to your draw and results in
          faster arrow speed. In the video you appear to have your forward
          foot back off the line from position to target. This position is
          very good for snap shooting where you do not hold the draw but also
          requires the draw to be held primarily by your arm muscles.

          I find for myself when I begin to have shooting issues I actually
          move into a closed stance, wherein my backward foot is behind the
          line from postion to target. This forces my body to "twist" into the
          shooting position but into the bone on bone on bone stance. Think
          like a horse bow archer shooting over his shoulder but not that
          exagerated.

          Edward's point of grabbing the next arrow by the nock I find has
          increased my performance in the speed rounds considerably. Another
          trick I use is to hold two extra arrows in my bow hand fingers. More
          specifically I hold one between my little finger and ring finger and
          a second between my middle finger and index finger, with a third
          arrow on the string. After I shoot the first arrow on the string I
          simply grab the nock of the next arrow in my bow hand and lever it
          onto the string. I get off three arrows in fairly rapid sequence.
          The guy I learned this trick from holds three arrows in his bow hand
          with one on the string.

          Good luck in your venture and most interesting way to get critique on
          techinque,

          cog