Re: [SCA-Archery] Shooting Form

  • Edward deWitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
      Lord Domingos, I am not going to try to critique your form since mine has many problems, but I have been fussed at for drawing my arrows from the quiver below the fletching. I am still trying to break the habit. As you do, I did this and sometimes I had a hard time hitting the string with the nock. This was really important when shooting speed rounds. Those fussing at me said to grab by the nock, this giving me quicker placement of the nock to string. I am still having trouble with this, but I think it has to do with the long length of my quiver not being able to clear it.
      FWIW

      Edward
      Bill Brown <stickbow@...> wrote: This may be out of place but would anyone mind critiquing a short you tube
      video of me shooting a half light of arrows, I don't mind reply's on list as
      I respect the expertise in this group.

      http://www.youtube.com/v/6AMnqr9nv5g

      Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
      Arenal, Meridies

      Mine honour is my life, both grow in one. Take honour from me, and my life
      is done."

      - William Shakespeare, Richard II (1.1.182-185)

    • Hobbe
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:
        > Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
        > Arenal, Meridies

        I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
        but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
        also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

        Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
        do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
        travel farther than you wish.

        Respectfully,
        Hobbe
      • Scott B. Jaqua
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008

          Hobbe wrote:

          > I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
          > but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
          > also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...
          >
          > Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
          > do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
          > travel farther than you wish.

          I believe both these problems can be addressed in the Pre-Draw. I have
          found that using a technique taken from Japanese archery works for me.
          First hold both your bow hand and string hand slightly above your head
          with the arrow level to the ground (this is called Climbing Mount
          something or another in Japanese archery). Then draw the bow by puling
          both hands down to your draw and anchor position, moving in as straight
          a line as possible. If you do it right, you will feel it in the back
          right off. You can not avoid using you back instead of your arms. It
          also keeps the arrow safely pointed down range the entire time.

          Not that my form is perfect by any means. I still have the pluck, I was
          known for (and some of my students picked up). I keep hoping it's
          consistent enough that is a part of my form almost like a certain
          Olympic archer that used to shoot for ASU. But somehow I don't think so :)

          Njall

          --

          Scott B. Jaqua
          Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
            Ok, one step at a time is the only way to move forward. I am going to
            concentrate first on my release. It is very apparent that I am plucking my
            string like a base guitar. Some of this may be from homemade/cheap shooting
            glove trying to clear the fingertips of the glove. I will look at this and
            practice the "let the hand relax, the string will follow" method I "thought"
            I was doing. I looked at that video several times and never noticed the
            things spoken of until they were pointed out. I see them now. This is
            turning out to be similar to a bow build along, but instead a shooting form
            build along..thanks!

            Domingos

            _____

            I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
            but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
            also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

            Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
            do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
            travel farther than you wish.

            Respectfully,
            Hobbe

          • John and Carol Atkins
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
              Many good points here but the one I noticed and it's effect was
              commented here by Carolus is holding the draw. Carolus and others
              pointed out your shoulders seem hunched and your draw/release occurs
              rapidly. Good for speed rounds, not so good for untimed rounds. I
              think the problem here lies in your stance. You appear to be using
              what is called an open stance. In this case, very open stance. That
              is, the basic stance has your toes perpendicular to a line from your
              position to the target. In this position your bow arm is referred to
              as being bone on bone on bone. That is, bow hand anchored to arm,
              anchored to shoulder. In this configuration it takes little arm
              strength to hold and maintain a steady aim prior to release. Now
              also, if you are using the basic stance as you reach your anchor
              point, I tell folks "stick your chest out". This forces your body to
              use your back muscles to hold the draw and takes the strain off your
              arm muscles. It also adds an inch or two to your draw and results in
              faster arrow speed. In the video you appear to have your forward
              foot back off the line from position to target. This position is
              very good for snap shooting where you do not hold the draw but also
              requires the draw to be held primarily by your arm muscles.

              I find for myself when I begin to have shooting issues I actually
              move into a closed stance, wherein my backward foot is behind the
              line from postion to target. This forces my body to "twist" into the
              shooting position but into the bone on bone on bone stance. Think
              like a horse bow archer shooting over his shoulder but not that
              exagerated.

              Edward's point of grabbing the next arrow by the nock I find has
              increased my performance in the speed rounds considerably. Another
              trick I use is to hold two extra arrows in my bow hand fingers. More
              specifically I hold one between my little finger and ring finger and
              a second between my middle finger and index finger, with a third
              arrow on the string. After I shoot the first arrow on the string I
              simply grab the nock of the next arrow in my bow hand and lever it
              onto the string. I get off three arrows in fairly rapid sequence.
              The guy I learned this trick from holds three arrows in his bow hand
              with one on the string.

              Good luck in your venture and most interesting way to get critique on
              techinque,

              cog