Re: [SCA-Archery] Shooting Form

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
      When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 2/12/08 9:10 PM...

      > This may be out of place but would anyone mind critiquing a short you tube
      > video of me shooting a half light of arrows,

      What I see is variation in the follow-through of the string hand. It
      doesn't seem to do the same thing after each release.

      --
      Fritz
      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
        Lord Domingos, I am not going to try to critique your form since mine has many problems, but I have been fussed at for drawing my arrows from the quiver below the fletching. I am still trying to break the habit. As you do, I did this and sometimes I had a hard time hitting the string with the nock. This was really important when shooting speed rounds. Those fussing at me said to grab by the nock, this giving me quicker placement of the nock to string. I am still having trouble with this, but I think it has to do with the long length of my quiver not being able to clear it.
        FWIW

        Edward
        Bill Brown <stickbow@...> wrote: This may be out of place but would anyone mind critiquing a short you tube
        video of me shooting a half light of arrows, I don't mind reply's on list as
        I respect the expertise in this group.

        http://www.youtube.com/v/6AMnqr9nv5g

        Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
        Arenal, Meridies

        Mine honour is my life, both grow in one. Take honour from me, and my life
        is done."

        - William Shakespeare, Richard II (1.1.182-185)

      • Hobbe
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:
          > Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
          > Arenal, Meridies

          I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
          but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
          also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

          Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
          do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
          travel farther than you wish.

          Respectfully,
          Hobbe
        • Scott B. Jaqua
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008

            Hobbe wrote:

            > I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
            > but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
            > also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...
            >
            > Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
            > do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
            > travel farther than you wish.

            I believe both these problems can be addressed in the Pre-Draw. I have
            found that using a technique taken from Japanese archery works for me.
            First hold both your bow hand and string hand slightly above your head
            with the arrow level to the ground (this is called Climbing Mount
            something or another in Japanese archery). Then draw the bow by puling
            both hands down to your draw and anchor position, moving in as straight
            a line as possible. If you do it right, you will feel it in the back
            right off. You can not avoid using you back instead of your arms. It
            also keeps the arrow safely pointed down range the entire time.

            Not that my form is perfect by any means. I still have the pluck, I was
            known for (and some of my students picked up). I keep hoping it's
            consistent enough that is a part of my form almost like a certain
            Olympic archer that used to shoot for ASU. But somehow I don't think so :)

            Njall

            --

            Scott B. Jaqua
            Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
              Ok, one step at a time is the only way to move forward. I am going to
              concentrate first on my release. It is very apparent that I am plucking my
              string like a base guitar. Some of this may be from homemade/cheap shooting
              glove trying to clear the fingertips of the glove. I will look at this and
              practice the "let the hand relax, the string will follow" method I "thought"
              I was doing. I looked at that video several times and never noticed the
              things spoken of until they were pointed out. I see them now. This is
              turning out to be similar to a bow build along, but instead a shooting form
              build along..thanks!

              Domingos

              _____

              I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
              but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
              also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

              Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
              do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
              travel farther than you wish.

              Respectfully,
              Hobbe

            • John and Carol Atkins
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
                Many good points here but the one I noticed and it's effect was
                commented here by Carolus is holding the draw. Carolus and others
                pointed out your shoulders seem hunched and your draw/release occurs
                rapidly. Good for speed rounds, not so good for untimed rounds. I
                think the problem here lies in your stance. You appear to be using
                what is called an open stance. In this case, very open stance. That
                is, the basic stance has your toes perpendicular to a line from your
                position to the target. In this position your bow arm is referred to
                as being bone on bone on bone. That is, bow hand anchored to arm,
                anchored to shoulder. In this configuration it takes little arm
                strength to hold and maintain a steady aim prior to release. Now
                also, if you are using the basic stance as you reach your anchor
                point, I tell folks "stick your chest out". This forces your body to
                use your back muscles to hold the draw and takes the strain off your
                arm muscles. It also adds an inch or two to your draw and results in
                faster arrow speed. In the video you appear to have your forward
                foot back off the line from position to target. This position is
                very good for snap shooting where you do not hold the draw but also
                requires the draw to be held primarily by your arm muscles.

                I find for myself when I begin to have shooting issues I actually
                move into a closed stance, wherein my backward foot is behind the
                line from postion to target. This forces my body to "twist" into the
                shooting position but into the bone on bone on bone stance. Think
                like a horse bow archer shooting over his shoulder but not that
                exagerated.

                Edward's point of grabbing the next arrow by the nock I find has
                increased my performance in the speed rounds considerably. Another
                trick I use is to hold two extra arrows in my bow hand fingers. More
                specifically I hold one between my little finger and ring finger and
                a second between my middle finger and index finger, with a third
                arrow on the string. After I shoot the first arrow on the string I
                simply grab the nock of the next arrow in my bow hand and lever it
                onto the string. I get off three arrows in fairly rapid sequence.
                The guy I learned this trick from holds three arrows in his bow hand
                with one on the string.

                Good luck in your venture and most interesting way to get critique on
                techinque,

                cog