RE: [SCA-Archery] Re: Shooting Form

  • Carolus
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 12, 2008
      I had to watch the video several times and
      finally step through it. For the most part your
      form is very nice. Whit I saw are fine tuning
      items. First, your shoulders are hunched and
      tense. Relax. Second, as you begin to draw,
      your string arm is very tense and taut. Taken
      together, these show that you are not using your
      back to draw. This makes you work too hard with
      your arm. This also leads to the cock in your
      wrist. As you relax it will straighten
      out. Also as a result, you do tend to "explode"
      your release resulting in at least a loss of
      energy if not a pluck of the string.

      You are steady and in place at anchor but you
      stop drawing when you reach anchor. You should
      relax your fingers at that point but continue
      drawing through it. Your elbow should continue
      on the same line through your release. This can
      result in 5-15 fps increase in arrow speed. It
      will also reduce the tendency to pluck and will
      improve your group. I could not see if you kept
      your mouth in the same position or if you
      clenched your jaw nor could I detect if your
      breathing was consistent with the same amount of
      breath in your lungs at release. These can also affect the shot.

      You could improve your consistency if you slowed
      down your shots a little, resting a bit more
      between each shot. This is fine form for speed
      shooting but your untimed shooting can improve
      considerably by resting a little. These are all
      rather advanced items and you are doing fine at this point.
      Carolus

    • Fritz
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
        When Bill Brown put fingers to keys it was 2/12/08 9:10 PM...

        > This may be out of place but would anyone mind critiquing a short you tube
        > video of me shooting a half light of arrows,

        What I see is variation in the follow-through of the string hand. It
        doesn't seem to do the same thing after each release.

        --
        Fritz
        Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Brown" <stickbow@...> wrote:
            > Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
            > Arenal, Meridies

            I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
            but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
            also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

            Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
            do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
            travel farther than you wish.

            Respectfully,
            Hobbe
          • Scott B. Jaqua
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008

              Hobbe wrote:

              > I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
              > but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
              > also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...
              >
              > Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
              > do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
              > travel farther than you wish.

              I believe both these problems can be addressed in the Pre-Draw. I have
              found that using a technique taken from Japanese archery works for me.
              First hold both your bow hand and string hand slightly above your head
              with the arrow level to the ground (this is called Climbing Mount
              something or another in Japanese archery). Then draw the bow by puling
              both hands down to your draw and anchor position, moving in as straight
              a line as possible. If you do it right, you will feel it in the back
              right off. You can not avoid using you back instead of your arms. It
              also keeps the arrow safely pointed down range the entire time.

              Not that my form is perfect by any means. I still have the pluck, I was
              known for (and some of my students picked up). I keep hoping it's
              consistent enough that is a part of my form almost like a certain
              Olympic archer that used to shoot for ASU. But somehow I don't think so :)

              Njall

              --

              Scott B. Jaqua
              Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
                Ok, one step at a time is the only way to move forward. I am going to
                concentrate first on my release. It is very apparent that I am plucking my
                string like a base guitar. Some of this may be from homemade/cheap shooting
                glove trying to clear the fingertips of the glove. I will look at this and
                practice the "let the hand relax, the string will follow" method I "thought"
                I was doing. I looked at that video several times and never noticed the
                things spoken of until they were pointed out. I see them now. This is
                turning out to be similar to a bow build along, but instead a shooting form
                build along..thanks!

                Domingos

                _____

                I can't add anything constructive to what has been said by the others,
                but I do see one thing in your form that bothers me when I see it. I
                also know that I am often guilty of doing the same...

                Pointing your arrow upwards as you draw. There is really no reason to
                do so and if your fingers slip off the string the arrow will likely
                travel farther than you wish.

                Respectfully,
                Hobbe

              • John and Carol Atkins
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 13, 2008
                  Many good points here but the one I noticed and it's effect was
                  commented here by Carolus is holding the draw. Carolus and others
                  pointed out your shoulders seem hunched and your draw/release occurs
                  rapidly. Good for speed rounds, not so good for untimed rounds. I
                  think the problem here lies in your stance. You appear to be using
                  what is called an open stance. In this case, very open stance. That
                  is, the basic stance has your toes perpendicular to a line from your
                  position to the target. In this position your bow arm is referred to
                  as being bone on bone on bone. That is, bow hand anchored to arm,
                  anchored to shoulder. In this configuration it takes little arm
                  strength to hold and maintain a steady aim prior to release. Now
                  also, if you are using the basic stance as you reach your anchor
                  point, I tell folks "stick your chest out". This forces your body to
                  use your back muscles to hold the draw and takes the strain off your
                  arm muscles. It also adds an inch or two to your draw and results in
                  faster arrow speed. In the video you appear to have your forward
                  foot back off the line from position to target. This position is
                  very good for snap shooting where you do not hold the draw but also
                  requires the draw to be held primarily by your arm muscles.

                  I find for myself when I begin to have shooting issues I actually
                  move into a closed stance, wherein my backward foot is behind the
                  line from postion to target. This forces my body to "twist" into the
                  shooting position but into the bone on bone on bone stance. Think
                  like a horse bow archer shooting over his shoulder but not that
                  exagerated.

                  Edward's point of grabbing the next arrow by the nock I find has
                  increased my performance in the speed rounds considerably. Another
                  trick I use is to hold two extra arrows in my bow hand fingers. More
                  specifically I hold one between my little finger and ring finger and
                  a second between my middle finger and index finger, with a third
                  arrow on the string. After I shoot the first arrow on the string I
                  simply grab the nock of the next arrow in my bow hand and lever it
                  onto the string. I get off three arrows in fairly rapid sequence.
                  The guy I learned this trick from holds three arrows in his bow hand
                  with one on the string.

                  Good luck in your venture and most interesting way to get critique on
                  techinque,

                  cog