Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Draft of sca period target

  • James of the Lake
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
      Our barony uses the black and white version of Sir Jon's IKAC period
      division face. The original faces came from Lord Damian Archer in
      the Outlands; we just pay for copies done on an architect's copy
      machine when we run low, then glue them onto cardboard backers. We
      offer this face at practices as an option to the FITA target (the
      FITA for those wishing to accumulate Royal Round scores for ranking),
      but only use the B&W period division face for the Forester Round
      which determines the baronial champion for the year (along with
      various novelty shoots as well).

      James
      Naevehjem, CAID

      jotl@...

      On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:25 PM, John edgerton wrote:

      > The IKAC period face needs to be printed up or hand drawn and
      > colored. I think the roundel is a much easier target to make. And
      > it does not need to be a full target face that covers a target matt,
      > it can just be the roundel in a contrasting color to the matt. And
      > there is no official size for the face or roundel, so it does not
      > have to be a stock official size. It would be easy, for someone that
      > knows how, to load some different size and color roundels to the
      > files section for printing.
      >
      > We have an archer out here in the West that printed up the iKAC
      > period face for our use. There is a large double headed eagle under
      > the target circles, looks quite nice.
      >
      > I agree, many archers do not want to make "too much" effort to
      > shoot. We now dress better and many of the bows are now period
      > style. So it would seem the next area to improve is the look of the
      > target range.
      >
      > Jon
      >

      > On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
      >
      >> I really like the idea of using a target of more period appearance
      >> and I
      >> have but a single concern.
      >>
      >> How long has it been since you introduced the "period" gold-green-
      >> white
      >> target into the IKAC? It's established and recognized but seems
      >> scarcely used. I have see a grand total of one other person (outside
      >> myself) provide those targets for a shoot they were running.
      >> Everybody
      >> else just uses the standard 5-color FITA target ans scores it
      >> accordingly if folks are trying for a period division score.
      >>
      >> My concern is that regardless of what alternatives are presented,
      >> if it
      >> is not something that folks can can go to their favorite catalog, web
      >> site, or shop and order then it will seldom be used.
      >>
      >> I don't intend to be pessimistic, just realistic.
      >>
      >> Regards,
      >>
      >> -EA

      > --

    • Rusty McMillan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:
        ><SNIP>
        > I want to re-enact this one:
        > http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
        > ~Hobbe

        It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the Darkwood
        Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as in
        UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from lack
        of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen more by
        survival than accuracy!

        Randal
      • Rusty McMillan
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

          > Keep in mind that Brueghel's works seem to be lessons in morality
          > rather than pure documentation.
          > http://www.millsaps.edu/art/history/BRUEGEL%20PAPER.doc
          > ~Hobbe

          I was wondering about the accuracy of the events portrayed, especially
          the spectators on the bench about a yard from the targets in Fair at
          Hoboken. I don't know any archers I would trust THAT much (sorry guys)!

          Randal
        • Egon
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
            Might be fun with blunts and a heavy fighter with shield to help...

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
            <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
            > ><SNIP>
            > > I want to re-enact this one:

            http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
            > > ~Hobbe
            > >
            > It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the
            Darkwood
            > Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as in
            > UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from
            lack
            > of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen more
            by
            > survival than accuracy!
            >
            > Randal

          • jameswolfden
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
              I have also seen this in modern pictures depicting archery in other
              cultures. I have also seen it on the modern outdoor range we use.

              It's not something I would recommend but I wouldn't be surprized
              that it was done in period.

              James

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
              <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Keep in mind that Brueghel's works seem to be lessons in
              morality
              > > rather than pure documentation.
              > > http://www.millsaps.edu/art/history/BRUEGEL%20PAPER.doc
              > > ~Hobbe
              > >
              > I was wondering about the accuracy of the events portrayed,
              especially
              > the spectators on the bench about a yard from the targets in Fair
              at
              > Hoboken. I don't know any archers I would trust THAT much (sorry
              guys)!

              > Randal

            • jameswolfden
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                Keep it to a single archer and you shouldn't need the shield arm.

                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egon" <mindifismoke@...> wrote:

                > Might be fun with blunts and a heavy fighter with shield to help...
                >

                > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
                > <randal_of_camusfearna@> wrote:
                > >
                > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
                > > ><SNIP>
                > > > I want to re-enact this one:
                > > >
                > http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
                > > > ~Hobbe
                > > >
                > > It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the
                > Darkwood
                > > Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as
                in
                > > UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from
                > lack
                > > of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen
                more
                > by
                > > survival than accuracy!
                > >
                > > Randal

              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                  That is an example of trusting your fellow men or archers. ;-)

                  Jon