Draft of sca period target

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
      I have uploaded a draft of an article on a SCA period target to the
      files section of the group. There are also three files with the
      illustrations that go with it.

      If you have any questions or suggestions on improvements to the
      article, please let me know.

      Jon
    • logantheboweyder
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
        I have to confess, the simple target does not conern me. A circle and
        peg make fine targets. The idea of a shoot with 24 ends of 1 arrow
        severely distorts the fun quotient. Generally, at a shoot I enjoy
        SHOOTING, and when not shooting, socializing with my friends while
        trying not to interfere with those who's turn it is on the line.

        24 ends of 1 arrow sounds like a whole lot of retrieving, very little
        shooting in comparison to the amount of time retrieving, and no chance
        to spend the down-time being social.

        In calontir, we have a good percentage of people who's mobility is
        challeneged when they go to a tournament. My lady likes to shoot, and
        won't go to an event unless there is shooting there. Yet, by 3
        O'clock in the afternoon, more likely than not I am retrieving her
        arrows because walking has worn her out. Multiplying the walking 6-
        fold would be a bar to her participation, and I suspect a sizable
        minority of archers.

        I think the concerns I bring are not period in nature. A medieval man
        who may be called to arms with his bow should be in good physical
        shape, and the concerns of "it's boring" would be laughed at in period.

        Ultimately, the widespread adoption of the shooting you suggest would
        do much to improve the medieval feel of our tournaments, greatly cut
        the participation in such tournaments, and in the long term destroy
        target archery as anything in the SCA other than as a marginal
        activity for the already-proficient.

        My initial reaction to the content. I've no comments on style of
        writing, quality of references, spelling, etc...

        Thank you for asking for my input. Given time to mull things over, I
        suspect my feelings will not be greatly different.

        Ld Logan the Boweyder

        > I have uploaded a draft of an article on a SCA period target to the
        > files section of the group. There are also three files with the
        > illustrations that go with it.
        >
        > If you have any questions or suggestions on improvements to the
        > article, please let me know.
        >
        > Jon

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
          The Hoboken competition was included to give just one example of a
          more period shoot. It would not be something that would be shot all
          the time. Also, it would be shot when possible, at several targets,
          rather than just one and that would speed it up. It could just as
          easily be shot in four ends of six, two of twelve, one of nine. It
          would depend upon the person running the competition at that event.
          I will try to make that idea more clear.

          My main intent is to encourage the replacement of the five color face
          with something more period the method of shooting would be up to the

          On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:25 PM, logantheboweyder wrote:

          > I have to confess, the simple target does not conern me. A circle and
          > peg make fine targets. The idea of a shoot with 24 ends of 1 arrow
          > severely distorts the fun quotient. Generally, at a shoot I enjoy
          > SHOOTING, and when not shooting, socializing with my friends while
          > trying not to interfere with those who's turn it is on the line.
          >
          > 24 ends of 1 arrow sounds like a whole lot of retrieving, very little
          > shooting in comparison to the amount of time retrieving, and no chance
          > to spend the down-time being social.
          >
          > In calontir, we have a good percentage of people who's mobility is
          > challeneged when they go to a tournament. My lady likes to shoot, and
          > won't go to an event unless there is shooting there. Yet, by 3
          > O'clock in the afternoon, more likely than not I am retrieving her
          > arrows because walking has worn her out. Multiplying the walking 6-
          > fold would be a bar to her participation, and I suspect a sizable
          > minority of archers.
          >
          > I think the concerns I bring are not period in nature. A medieval man
          > who may be called to arms with his bow should be in good physical
          > shape, and the concerns of "it's boring" would be laughed at in
          > period.
          >
          > Ultimately, the widespread adoption of the shooting you suggest would
          > do much to improve the medieval feel of our tournaments, greatly cut
          > the participation in such tournaments, and in the long term destroy
          > target archery as anything in the SCA other than as a marginal
          > activity for the already-proficient.
          >
          > My initial reaction to the content. I've no comments on style of
          > writing, quality of references, spelling, etc...
          >
          > Thank you for asking for my input. Given time to mull things over, I
          > suspect my feelings will not be greatly different.
          >
          > Ld Logan the Boweyder
          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, John edgerton <sirjon1@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > I have uploaded a draft of an article on a SCA period target to the
          > > files section of the group. There are also three files with the
          > > illustrations that go with it.
          > >
          > > If you have any questions or suggestions on improvements to the
          > > article, please let me know.
          > >
          > > Jon

        • Eadric Anstapa
          Message 4 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
            I really like the idea of using a target of more period appearance and I
            have but a single concern.

            How long has it been since you introduced the "period" gold-green-white
            target into the IKAC? It's established and recognized but seems
            scarcely used. I have see a grand total of one other person (outside
            myself) provide those targets for a shoot they were running. Everybody
            else just uses the standard 5-color FITA target ans scores it
            accordingly if folks are trying for a period division score.

            My concern is that regardless of what alternatives are presented, if it
            is not something that folks can can go to their favorite catalog, web
            site, or shop and order then it will seldom be used.

            I don't intend to be pessimistic, just realistic.

            Regards,

            -EA

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
              The IKAC period face needs to be printed up or hand drawn and
              colored. I think the roundel is a much easier target to make. And
              it does not need to be a full target face that covers a target matt,
              it can just be the roundel in a contrasting color to the matt. And
              there is no official size for the face or roundel, so it does not
              have to be a stock official size. It would be easy, for someone that
              knows how, to load some different size and color roundels to the
              files section for printing.

              We have an archer out here in the West that printed up the iKAC
              period face for our use. There is a large double headed eagle under
              the target circles, looks quite nice.

              I agree, many archers do not want to make "too much" effort to
              shoot. We now dress better and many of the bows are now period
              style. So it would seem the next area to improve is the look of the
              target range.

              Jon

              On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

              > I really like the idea of using a target of more period appearance
              > and I
              > have but a single concern.
              >
              > How long has it been since you introduced the "period" gold-green-
              > white
              > target into the IKAC? It's established and recognized but seems
              > scarcely used. I have see a grand total of one other person (outside
              > myself) provide those targets for a shoot they were running. Everybody
              > else just uses the standard 5-color FITA target ans scores it
              > accordingly if folks are trying for a period division score.
              >
              > My concern is that regardless of what alternatives are presented,
              > if it
              > is not something that folks can can go to their favorite catalog, web
              > site, or shop and order then it will seldom be used.
              >
              > I don't intend to be pessimistic, just realistic.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > -EA

            • James of the Lake
              Message 6 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
                On Jan 24, 2008, at 1:19 PM, John edgerton wrote:

                > I have uploaded a draft of an article on a SCA period target to the
                > files section of the group. There are also three files with the
                > illustrations that go with it.
                >
                > If you have any questions or suggestions on improvements to the
                > article, please let me know.
                >
                > Jon

                I am using the word processor in Open Office, Jon, and it cannot seem
                to read Claris Works files. Could you translate the file into
                something more universal -- plain ASCII is probably best for
                everyone, but MS Word is probably adequate if it has to be formatted.

                Thanks, James

                jotl@...
              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
                  There is also a text copy and MS word copy in the files section.

                  Jon

                  On Jan 24, 2008, at 6:04 PM, James of the Lake wrote:

                  > I am using the word processor in Open Office, Jon, and it cannot seem
                  > to read Claris Works files. Could you translate the file into
                  > something more universal -- plain ASCII is probably best for
                  > everyone, but MS Word is probably adequate if it has to be formatted.
                  >
                  > Thanks, James
                  >
                  > jotl@...

                • arturdubh
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jan 24, 2008
                    Greetings, Sir Jon;

                    I may be a relative "nobody", but I have to agree -- ".cwk" file
                    extensions (and ".xls", whatever that is) are not very well liked by
                    Microsoft programs, nor does OpenOffice (a free download) seem to be
                    able to digest them. I offer this example of how OpenOffice 2.0
                    deciphers a ".cwk" file, from the "3 Illustrations" file you up-
                    loaded to the "Files" section:

                    Œ'áà##·#‚rV„ª# Lc�ˆa‡:$cjŒÂ## #^#j&&h5†ö##|+�àܤpE#Ðt#R
                    pú##H1‚#2‡###ö!Š¶!#<#ƒ#Oâ##Ã#j%È«‚Ü#cu#"º%¢6@i"+ #ukª4®1
                    F#(£^#P\"åŠ~cÆxˆÌ�b̊ƒÈAd‚J¤ò'"_#iVm#\#¦#àÁÀ#gtƒ#F&�Ž#­ŒŸ#¬"h¶kQ°
                    >e##J#)"r<¥8�ŠŠÅ¡¢#!¦¥â6#@p#¢K#©¤;*!#b¼."*U�#šD#�ˆ¸B£

                    -- and I know you did not intend it to be 7,657 pages in length.

                    To everyone considering up-loading files: Merely as a request, if it
                    involves a picture of some sort, could it be up-loaded as either
                    a ".bmp" or ".jpg" file? Or perhaps embed it in a ".doc" file, which
                    OpenOffice 2.0 can digest... If it is just text,
                    either ".doc", ".txt", or better yet, ".rtf". These non-Microsoft-
                    compatible file extensions play havoc with a lot of machines simply
                    because they only have Microsoft operating systems. I certainly would
                    not be using Microsoft if I could afford something better -- and I do
                    not have the capability to download mega-megabyte programs just so I
                    can read those exotic-extension files. And there some interesting-
                    sounding files I would like very much to read, but they
                    have ".cwk", ".xls" and other non-compatible extensions....

                    Dial-up internet access is just too slow for gigantic downloads. It's
                    bad enough when downloading .jpg's over 190kb in size. Tonight I
                    waited over two hours for a free 10+ MB tax program to download (yes,
                    I have no money to spend on software)...only to find the download
                    failed; I have to wait until tomorrow night to try again.

                    I thank you all for your time and consideration.

                    --Artúr

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, James of the Lake <jotl@...>
                    wrote:

                    > On Jan 24, 2008, at 1:19 PM, John edgerton wrote:
                    >
                    > > I have uploaded a draft of an article on a SCA period target to
                    the
                    > > files section of the group. There are also three files with the
                    > > illustrations that go with it.
                    > >
                    > > If you have any questions or suggestions on improvements to the
                    > > article, please let me know.
                    > >
                    > > Jon
                    > >

                    > I am using the word processor in Open Office, Jon, and it cannot
                    seem
                    > to read Claris Works files. Could you translate the file into
                    > something more universal -- plain ASCII is probably best for
                    > everyone, but MS Word is probably adequate if it has to be
                    formatted.

                    > Thanks, James
                    >
                    > jotl@...

                  • Carolus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                      ".xls" is the extension for a Microsoft Excel
                      spreadsheet and will open just fine in OpenOffice
                      spreadsheet module. ".cwk" is Claris
                      works. Most of these file types have readers
                      available for them but the poster has to let us
                      know what program the file is intended for if not
                      a common one. Then we can get the readers. They
                      are light programs which download quickly, even over dial-up.
                      Carolus

                      At 11:34 PM 1/24/2008, you wrote:

                      >Greetings, Sir Jon;
                      >
                      >I may be a relative "nobody", but I have to agree -- ".cwk" file
                      >extensions (and ".xls", whatever that is) are not very well liked by
                      >Microsoft programs, nor does OpenOffice (a free download) seem to be
                      >able to digest them. I offer this example of how OpenOffice 2.0
                      >deciphers a ".cwk" file, from the "3 Illustrations" file you up-
                      >loaded to the "Files" section:
                      >
                      >Œ'áà##·#‚rV„ª# Lc�ˆa‡:$cjŒÂ## #^#j&&h5†ö##|+�àܤpE#Ðt#R
                      >pú##H1‚#2‡###ö!Š¶!#<#ƒ#Oâ##Ã#j%È«‚Ü#cu#"º%¢6@i"+ #ukª4®1
                      >F#(£^#P\"åŠ~cÆxˆÌ�b̊ƒÈAd‚J¤ò'"_#iVm#\#¦#àÁÀ#gtƒ#F&�Ž#­ŒŸ#¬"h¶kQ°
                      > >e##J#)"r<¥8�ŠŠÅ¡¢#!¦¥â6#@p#¢K#©¤;*!#b¼."*U�#šD#�ˆ¸B£
                      >
                      >-- and I know you did not intend it to be 7,657 pages in length.
                      >
                      >To everyone considering up-loading files: Merely as a request, if it
                      >involves a picture of some sort, could it be up-loaded as either
                      >a ".bmp" or ".jpg" file? Or perhaps embed it in a ".doc" file, which
                      >OpenOffice 2.0 can digest... If it is just text,
                      >either ".doc", ".txt", or better yet, ".rtf". These non-Microsoft-
                      >compatible file extensions play havoc with a lot of machines simply
                      >because they only have Microsoft operating systems. I certainly would
                      >not be using Microsoft if I could afford something better -- and I do
                      >not have the capability to download mega-megabyte programs just so I
                      >can read those exotic-extension files. And there some interesting-
                      >sounding files I would like very much to read, but they
                      >have ".cwk", ".xls" and other non-compatible extensions....
                      >
                      >Dial-up internet access is just too slow for gigantic downloads. It's
                      >bad enough when downloading .jpg's over 190kb in size. Tonight I
                      >waited over two hours for a free 10+ MB tax program to download (yes,
                      >I have no money to spend on software)...only to find the download
                      >failed; I have to wait until tomorrow night to try again.
                      >
                      >I thank you all for your time and consideration.
                      >
                      >--Artúr

                    • Hobbe
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                      • Hobbe
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                          Keep in mind that Brueghel's works seem to be lessons in morality
                          rather than pure documentation.
                          http://www.millsaps.edu/art/history/BRUEGEL%20PAPER.doc
                          ~Hobbe
                        • John edgerton
                          Message 12 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                            Do you know what drawing that is from? I would like to use it in
                            something else I am writing?

                            Great idea. Putting the popinjay mast on the sail of a windmill makes
                            it easy to reset the target.

                            Jon

                            On Jan 25, 2008, at 5:41 AM, Hobbe wrote:

                            > I want to re-enact this one:
                            > http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
                            > ~Hobbe

                          • J. Hughes
                            Message 13 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                              I think it is "The Fair of St. George's Day".

                              Charles O'Connor

                              Do you know what drawing that is from? I would like to use it in
                              something else I am writing?

                              Great idea. Putting the popinjay mast on the sail of a windmill makes
                              it easy to reset the target.

                              Jon

                              On Jan 25, 2008, at 5:41 AM, Hobbe wrote:

                              > I want to re-enact this one:
                              > http://rubens. anu.edu.au/ htdocs/bytype/ prints/brueghel/ 0001/133. JPG
                              > ~Hobbe

                            • James of the Lake
                              Message 14 of 20 , Jan 25, 2008
                                Our barony uses the black and white version of Sir Jon's IKAC period
                                division face. The original faces came from Lord Damian Archer in
                                the Outlands; we just pay for copies done on an architect's copy
                                machine when we run low, then glue them onto cardboard backers. We
                                offer this face at practices as an option to the FITA target (the
                                FITA for those wishing to accumulate Royal Round scores for ranking),
                                but only use the B&W period division face for the Forester Round
                                which determines the baronial champion for the year (along with
                                various novelty shoots as well).

                                James
                                Naevehjem, CAID

                                jotl@...

                                On Jan 24, 2008, at 3:25 PM, John edgerton wrote:

                                > The IKAC period face needs to be printed up or hand drawn and
                                > colored. I think the roundel is a much easier target to make. And
                                > it does not need to be a full target face that covers a target matt,
                                > it can just be the roundel in a contrasting color to the matt. And
                                > there is no official size for the face or roundel, so it does not
                                > have to be a stock official size. It would be easy, for someone that
                                > knows how, to load some different size and color roundels to the
                                > files section for printing.
                                >
                                > We have an archer out here in the West that printed up the iKAC
                                > period face for our use. There is a large double headed eagle under
                                > the target circles, looks quite nice.
                                >
                                > I agree, many archers do not want to make "too much" effort to
                                > shoot. We now dress better and many of the bows are now period
                                > style. So it would seem the next area to improve is the look of the
                                > target range.
                                >
                                > Jon
                                >

                                > On Jan 24, 2008, at 2:53 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
                                >
                                >> I really like the idea of using a target of more period appearance
                                >> and I
                                >> have but a single concern.
                                >>
                                >> How long has it been since you introduced the "period" gold-green-
                                >> white
                                >> target into the IKAC? It's established and recognized but seems
                                >> scarcely used. I have see a grand total of one other person (outside
                                >> myself) provide those targets for a shoot they were running.
                                >> Everybody
                                >> else just uses the standard 5-color FITA target ans scores it
                                >> accordingly if folks are trying for a period division score.
                                >>
                                >> My concern is that regardless of what alternatives are presented,
                                >> if it
                                >> is not something that folks can can go to their favorite catalog, web
                                >> site, or shop and order then it will seldom be used.
                                >>
                                >> I don't intend to be pessimistic, just realistic.
                                >>
                                >> Regards,
                                >>
                                >> -EA

                                > --

                              • Rusty McMillan
                                Message 15 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:
                                  ><SNIP>
                                  > I want to re-enact this one:
                                  > http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
                                  > ~Hobbe

                                  It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the Darkwood
                                  Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as in
                                  UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from lack
                                  of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen more by
                                  survival than accuracy!

                                  Randal
                                • Rusty McMillan
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@...> wrote:

                                    > Keep in mind that Brueghel's works seem to be lessons in morality
                                    > rather than pure documentation.
                                    > http://www.millsaps.edu/art/history/BRUEGEL%20PAPER.doc
                                    > ~Hobbe

                                    I was wondering about the accuracy of the events portrayed, especially
                                    the spectators on the bench about a yard from the targets in Fair at
                                    Hoboken. I don't know any archers I would trust THAT much (sorry guys)!

                                    Randal
                                  • Egon
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                      Might be fun with blunts and a heavy fighter with shield to help...

                                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
                                      <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

                                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
                                      > ><SNIP>
                                      > > I want to re-enact this one:

                                      http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
                                      > > ~Hobbe
                                      > >
                                      > It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the
                                      Darkwood
                                      > Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as in
                                      > UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from
                                      lack
                                      > of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen more
                                      by
                                      > survival than accuracy!
                                      >
                                      > Randal

                                    • jameswolfden
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                        I have also seen this in modern pictures depicting archery in other
                                        cultures. I have also seen it on the modern outdoor range we use.

                                        It's not something I would recommend but I wouldn't be surprized
                                        that it was done in period.

                                        James

                                        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
                                        <randal_of_camusfearna@...> wrote:

                                        > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > Keep in mind that Brueghel's works seem to be lessons in
                                        morality
                                        > > rather than pure documentation.
                                        > > http://www.millsaps.edu/art/history/BRUEGEL%20PAPER.doc
                                        > > ~Hobbe
                                        > >
                                        > I was wondering about the accuracy of the events portrayed,
                                        especially
                                        > the spectators on the bench about a yard from the targets in Fair
                                        at
                                        > Hoboken. I don't know any archers I would trust THAT much (sorry
                                        guys)!

                                        > Randal

                                      • jameswolfden
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                          Keep it to a single archer and you shouldn't need the shield arm.

                                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Egon" <mindifismoke@...> wrote:

                                          > Might be fun with blunts and a heavy fighter with shield to help...
                                          >

                                          > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Rusty McMillan"
                                          > <randal_of_camusfearna@> wrote:
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Hobbe" <clanyoungvp@> wrote:
                                          > > ><SNIP>
                                          > > > I want to re-enact this one:
                                          > > >
                                          > http://rubens.anu.edu.au/htdocs/bytype/prints/brueghel/0001/133.JPG
                                          > > > ~Hobbe
                                          > > >
                                          > > It looks a bit like the "shoot the moon" novelty shoot at the
                                          > Darkwood
                                          > > Winter Tourney, except we didn't shoot from quite so close (as
                                          in
                                          > > UNDER) the target. I hope that illustration merely suffers from
                                          > lack
                                          > > of proper perspective. Either that, or the winner was chosen
                                          more
                                          > by
                                          > > survival than accuracy!
                                          > >
                                          > > Randal

                                        • John edgerton
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Jan 28, 2008
                                            That is an example of trusting your fellow men or archers. ;-)

                                            Jon