Bow Staves

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 21 , Jan 22, 2008
      Is there any of my northern, eastern or western brothers cutting staves for
      bows? I live in the panhandle of Florida and what wood we have (hardwood) is
      mostly in National and State Forest (no cutting allowed) the rest is
      replacement pine from an over milled logging town.

      Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
      Arenal, Meridies

      Mine honour is my life, both grow in one. Take honour from me, and my life
      is done."

      - William Shakespeare, Richard II (1.1.182-185)

    • Kiley Glass
      Message 2 of 21 , Jan 22, 2008
        M'Lord,

        I've got a very healthy 150 year old live oak tree in my yard that must come down, as well as some other trees, some younger. I'm in Tir Briste (central Georgia).

        Caileigh

        Bill Brown <stickbow@...> wrote:
        Is there any of my northern, eastern or western brothers cutting staves for
        bows? I live in the panhandle of Florida and what wood we have (hardwood) is
        mostly in National and State Forest (no cutting allowed) the rest is
        replacement pine from an over milled logging town.

        Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
        Arenal, Meridies

        Recent Activity

        5
        New Members

        8
        New Files

        Visit Your Group
        Only on Yahoo!
        Star Wars galaxy
        Create a profile
        and meet fans.

        Yahoo! News
        Get it all here
        Breaking news to
        entertainment news

        Parenting Zone
        on Yahoo! Groups
        Your one stop for
        parenting groups.

        .

      • Bill Brown
        Message 3 of 21 , Jan 22, 2008
          Caileigh,

          Will you be taking this tree down to lumber or just felling it and cutting
          it up? I know Live Oak is strong as it was used in shipbuilding but is it
          workable as bow wood? ( I know, you can make a bow out of any wood but you
          know what I mean.) lol

          Domingos

          _____

          Message 4 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
            Live Oak is still sought out for wooden boat building and wood boat
            restorations. It is workable; although it'd make a heavier bow as
            oak is a heavy wood. A 72" stave might weigh roughly 20-25 pounds.

            Archery@yahoogroups.com] On
            > Behalf Of Kiley Glass
            > Sent: Tuesday, January 22, 2008 7:42 PM
            > To: SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Bow Staves
            >

            > M'Lord,
            >
            > I've got a very healthy 150 year old live oak tree in my yard that
            must come
            > down, as well as some other trees, some younger. I'm in Tir Briste
            (central
            > Georgia).
            >
            > Caileigh
            >
            > Bill Brown <stickbow@mchsi. <mailto:stickbow%40mchsi.com> com>
            wrote:
            > Is there any of my northern, eastern or western brothers cutting
            staves for
            > bows? I live in the panhandle of Florida and what wood we have
            (hardwood) is
            > mostly in National and State Forest (no cutting allowed) the rest is
            > replacement pine from an over milled logging town.
            >
            > Lord Domingos de Leon CQY, LWM
            > Arenal, Meridies
            >
            > Recent Activity
            >
            > 5
            > New Members
            >
            > 8
            > New Files
            >
            > Visit Your Group
            > Only on Yahoo!
            > Star Wars galaxy
            > Create a profile
            > and meet fans.
            >
            > Yahoo! News
            > Get it all here
            > Breaking news to
            > entertainment news
            >
            > Parenting Zone
            > on Yahoo! Groups
            > Your one stop for
            > parenting groups.
            >
            > .

          • Kiley Glass
            Message 5 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
              Bill,

              This tree is coming down because the alternative would be to raise our home, and find somewhere else to live, which we can't afford. We are going to have it laid on it's side, and then chip what we can, and cut it up for firewood, or other projects. We can't afford to have it milled. If someone wants some we'd be happy to share, but otherwise it won't be put to good work. We've tried to find a mill or someplace like that who'd come and take it down and remove it, and had no luck at all. It's a terrible waste. We've put off taking it down because it's such an awful thing to do, but it's costing us money (thousands).

              We've never made a bow from live oak. It may not be a great choice. White oak, yes, but this stuff?

              Caileigh

              Message 6 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                Just between you and me, a 150 year old oak tree isn't ideal for
                making bows from. A better trunk might be 6 to 12 inches wide, and
                can be split into 2 to 6 staves for bows. I'd suspect a 150 year
                old trunk would be a yard across or so, and the only real way to
                deal with it would be by milling it into boards, and then make a
                board bow.

                Here's someone on a Georgia board named FVR who says Billy might
                have some... http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?p=1786245

                I suspect these people ship...
                http://www.murraygaskins.com/pricelist.html

                http://www.missouritrading.com/bows.htm

                Have fun!
                Logan
                --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kiley Glass <caileighsoaps@...>
                wrote:

                > Bill,
                >
                > This tree is coming down because the alternative would be to
                raise our home, and find somewhere else to live, which we can't
                afford. We are going to have it laid on it's side, and then chip
                what we can, and cut it up for firewood, or other projects. We can't
                afford to have it milled. If someone wants some we'd be happy to
                share, but otherwise it won't be put to good work. We've tried to
                find a mill or someplace like that who'd come and take it down and
                remove it, and had no luck at all. It's a terrible waste. We've put
                off taking it down because it's such an awful thing to do, but it's
                costing us money (thousands).

                > We've never made a bow from live oak. It may not be a great
                choice. White oak, yes, but this stuff?

                > Caileigh
                >
                > Bill Brown <stickbow@...> wrote:
                > Caileigh,
                >
                > Will you be taking this tree down to lumber or just felling it and
                cutting
                > it up? I know Live Oak is strong as it was used in shipbuilding
                but is it
                > workable as bow wood? ( I know, you can make a bow out of any wood
                but you
                > know what I mean.) lol
                >
                > Domingos
                >
                > _____

              • Dan Scheid
                Message 7 of 21 , Jan 23, 2008
                  They make a attachment for your chainsaw that will cut boards also you can
                  rent a log saw but it might be more cost then worth..It is a bandsaw on a
                  trailer you cut the tree to 14� and place on the trailer then the saw runs
                  up and down

                  Damales

                  _____

                  Bill Brown <HYPERLINK "mailto:stickbow%40mchsi.com"stickbow@mchsi.-com>

                  From: HYPERLINK
                  "mailto:SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com"SCA-Archery@-yahoogroups.-com
[...]

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  10:24 AM

                  Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                  10:24 AM

                • Kiley Glass
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jan 24, 2008
                    Damales,

                    We would do that, if we could, but we just have too much going on just now. I did just come across a cardboard sign by some guy with a backyard mill. It's probably one of those set ups you see in the back of "Mother Earth News". If he wants the wood, and will pick it up, and give us a few boards, he can have it. The diameter will probably be a little more than a yard when barked.

                    There are other trees coming down as well, one that I think might be better suited to staves, I'll post if I think it is. There is a hickory, but I think I can save it. It's between two nearly hollow diseased oak and shows some signs of stress. I think it'll be fine once it's on it's own. I'll let you know. We could bring it with us to Fool's War and pass it along.

                    Caileigh

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jan 24, 2008
                      Sorry to hear this I�m building my house now and the thought of burning good
                      wood just send chills down my back. But you have to do what is best. Shame
                      not to have 150 year old oak floor

                      Damales

                      _____

                      We would do that, if we could, but we just have too much going on just now.
                      I did just come across a cardboard sign by some guy with a backyard mill.
                      It's probably one of those set ups you see in the back of "Mother Earth
                      News". If he wants the wood, and will pick it up, and give us a few boards,
                      he can have it. The diameter will probably be a little more than a yard when
                      barked.

                      There are other trees coming down as well, one that I think might be better
                      suited to staves, I'll post if I think it is. There is a hickory, but I
                      think I can save it. It's between two nearly hollow diseased oak and shows
                      some signs of stress. I think it'll be fine once it's on it's own. I'll let
                      you know. We could bring it with us to Fool's War and pass it along.

                      Caileigh

                      Dan Scheid <HYPERLINK
                      "mailto:damales%40pollybutte.net"damales@pollybutte.-net> wrote:
                      They make a attachment for your chainsaw that will cut boards also you can
                      rent a log saw but it might be more cost then worth..It is a bandsaw on a
                      trailer you cut the tree to 14� and place on the trailer then the saw runs
                      up and down

                      Damales

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      9:58 AM

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.
                      9:58 AM

                    • Edward deWitt
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jan 25, 2008
                        This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                        Thanks
                        Edward

                      • logantheboweyder
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jan 25, 2008
                          The season the logs are felled don't make much of a difference, and
                          usually are taken whenever convenient. Some folks find that late
                          spring is best, as the bark comes off easier when the growing
                          portion of the tree (A thin layer underneath the bark) is wet. Some
                          folks find it easier when the growing portion is dry, like late
                          winter.

                          Black walnut isn't a great bow material, but nearly any wood will
                          work if the bow is wide enough and long enough. I'd probably not
                          try walnut as a D-cross sectioned bow, but if you are conservative
                          with your bow length, it should work as a flat bow. See the
                          Bowyer's Bible for their discussion on bow woods... book 2, I
                          _think_. I've also seen reviews of book 4 that say there is a new
                          chapter on bow woods, as well.

                          Logan

                          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Edward deWitt <sagebowman@...>
                          wrote:

                          > This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with
                          black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts
                          too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to
                          cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air
                          drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                          > Thanks
                          > Edward

                        • logantheboweyder
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jan 25, 2008
                            http://www.fairebows.com/products/bowbuilding.html

                            This vendor seems to be selling walnut bellies, with hickory backs.

                            Bowyer's bible has a couple of suggestions for drying...
                            a couple of years, in staves.
                            Roughed out, several months.
                            A rush job in the summer, roughed out and then put in a car with the
                            windows rolled up, a month.
                            Differential weighing may help with this.

                            A dry box is pretty easy to make; plywood, aluminum foil, an
                            incandescent lightbulb, thermometer, rheostat, and small fan

                            wrote:

                            > This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with
                            black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts
                            too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to
                            cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air
                            drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                            > Thanks
                            > Edward

                          • jameswolfden
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jan 25, 2008
                              Yes, on the paleoplanet site, it pops up quite frequently. There is
                              a bowwoods article and hear is what was written up concerning black
                              walnut

                              WALNUT: black .55. Semi-ring-porous, easy to work, elastic for its
                              mass, similar in performance to cherry, but more tension-safe. Will
                              try to chrysal where cherry wont. A wonderful, overlooked bowwood.
                              Bows can be all sapwood or all heartwood, or mixed, sapwood taking a
                              bit more set in compression. The off-white sapwood can be worked
                              down to 25% or so of limb thickness, creating appealing contrast
                              with the almost black belly. Very high heartwood extractive level,
                              so as with similar woods, it may be more resistant to water
                              absorption. Its reported not to warp with rising and falling
                              humidity, possibly for this reason.

                              I haven't worked with it myself but am thinking of doing some ELBs
                              with a hickory back and black walnut belly because of the
                              availability of board lumber in the area.

                              In Service,
                              James Wolfden

                              wrote:

                              > This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with
                              black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts
                              too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to
                              cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air
                              drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                              > Thanks
                              > Edward

                            • Kiley Glass

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jan 25, 2008
                                  thank you Logan. I will have to see what the wood looks like when I cut the trees and check into the backing for the black walnut.
                                  Edward

                                  logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote: http://www.fairebows.com/products/bowbuilding.html

                                  wrote:

                                  > This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with
                                  black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts
                                  too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to
                                  cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air
                                  drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                                  > Thanks
                                  > Edward

                                • DOUGLAS PETROFF
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jan 26, 2008
                                    I hate to say this, but you might want to talk to some one who buys
                                    lumber, and trade for staves of your choice. Black walnut is expensive!
                                    Doug

                                  • RJ Bachner
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Feb 10, 2008
                                      A note on BW. The dust is somewhat more toxic than most white woods and can
                                      cause an allergic reaction in some folks. As a Cabinetmaker I find this can
                                      be an issue and always wear my mask when making dust with Black Walnut.

                                      Ragi

                                      wrote:

                                      > This is a change of material. Has anyone had any success with
                                      black walnut for bow making? Have a couple of 6-10" black walnuts
                                      too close to the house that I plan to take down. Is it better to
                                      cut a tree during the winter months or summer for bow staves? Air
                                      drying, any idea of how long to let it sit before trying to work it?
                                      > Thanks
                                      > Edward

                                    • Scott B. Jaqua
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Feb 10, 2008
                                        > A note on BW. The dust is somewhat more toxic than most white woods
                                        > and can
                                        > cause an allergic reaction in some folks. As a Cabinetmaker I find
                                        > this can
                                        > be an issue and always wear my mask when making dust with Black Walnut.
                                        >
                                        > Ragi

                                        Wood allergys can be a major problem. And it's not just so called toxic
                                        woods. As a knife maker I work a wide range of woods. but even before I
                                        started down that path I learned the hard lesson on wood allergys. In
                                        Junior High School I turned a bowl that contained layers of red ceder. I
                                        had sever respiratory distress. And in the years since it has only
                                        gotten worse, to the point that it is life threatening. So I have NO red
                                        ceder in my shop ever. And i make wide detours around it in the wood store.

                                        But inhalation of the dust isn't the only factor to worry about. Master
                                        Oso of Caid was making a Padouk knife handle. He had a massive skin
                                        allergic reaction while sanding the handle to shape. His arms swelled a
                                        great deal and vary painfully. This attack was a complete shot out of
                                        the blue. The lesson here is to go slow if you are working a wood that
                                        you never have before.

                                        But overall a quality particle mask is a good idea even if you aren't
                                        allergic to the wood in hand. Any particulate mater entering your nose,
                                        throat and lungs is bad for you. The body can dispose of a certain
                                        amount. But it is easy to overload the bodys defenses.

                                        I use a Dust-B-Gone mask that I bought at Woodcraft. It is not heavy and
                                        is in fact comfortable to wear. As you are breathing through a mesh, it
                                        doesn't have to seal like a heavy rubber respirator. It has a wire nose
                                        bridge to help prevent your breath from passing around the nose. Thus
                                        preventing fogged safety glasses, (you are wearing safety glasses,
                                        right?) It filters down to a three micron particle size. And it's
                                        washable. It's a little pricey, but a great peace of health insurance at
                                        the price.

                                        Njall

                                        Scott B. Jaqua
                                        Hagerson Forge
                                      • Will Terada
                                        Message 19 of 21 , Feb 10, 2008
                                          Working with any wood can be hazardous and is either being listed or is now
                                          listed with California as a know cancer causing agent. Here is one link
                                          that list some woods and their common reaction.

                                          *http://tinyurl.com/2hbr2a*

                                          --
                                          Willie P. Terada
                                          Est Sularus oth Mithas

                                        • James Koch
                                          Message 20 of 21 , Feb 10, 2008
                                            At 01:01 PM 2/10/2008, you wrote:

                                            >Working with any wood can be hazardous and is either being listed or is now
                                            >listed with California as a know cancer causing agent. Here is one link
                                            >that list some woods and their common reaction.
                                            >
                                            >*<http://tinyurl.com/2hbr2a*>http://tinyurl.com/2hbr2a*
                                            Doesn't just about everything cause cancer in California? I read the
                                            list, but didn't see a listing for one of my favorite woods, cornel
                                            wood, also known as American dogwood. I actually have a problem with
                                            oak dust. After sanding oak without good ventilation I get a
                                            migraine. I now take anti-migraine medication and try to sand oak outdoors.

                                            Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

                                          • logantheboweyder
                                            Message 21 of 21 , Feb 11, 2008
                                              Hedge (Osage Orange), the primary North American bow-wood, is well
                                              known for being an allergen, and doesn't appear on that list.

                                              I'm allergic to quite a number of things, but haven't reacted to it,
                                              yet.

                                              Logan