Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Preparing for A&

  • Scott B. Jaqua
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 15, 2008
      > Precisely. If one refers to the object itself with a photograph as a
      > reference to it, the source is primary. If one is looking at the
      > photograph and making observations from it, it is secondary. The
      > difference comes in that when looking at the photograph key aspects
      > may be hidden or trifling aspects magnified.
      > Carolus

      Taking my Wallace Collection Catalog for example. That would make the
      photos of the artifacts, contained there in, primary source material.
      However the text entry for the item would be a secondary source to cite.
      In that the observation of the dimensions and markings were not made by
      me (but rather by someone on Sir David Edges staff).

      Or photos of the Devonshire tapestries would be a secondary source for
      the subject shown (if we accept the tapestries as being rendered from
      direct observation in history). The text describing the content of the
      tapestries would be a tertiary source. (unless we are talking about
      fiber arts, then the photo of the tapestry is primary and the text
      describing the construction of the tapestries is secondary (confusing
      enough, for you?)).

      Njall

      --
      Scott B. Jaqua
      Hagerson Forge, Custom Blades from Historic Patterns