Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New to the list

  • Dan Lind
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
      Thank you

      On 1/11/08, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

      > YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
      > enough that the bow has extra strength there.
      >
      > Logan
      >
      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan
      > Lind" <darthnapster@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
      > No doubt
      > > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
      > determine that
      > > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
      > either a hard
      > > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
      > >
      > > Christian
      > >

      > > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
      > work them
      > > > into the bow.
      > > > .

      Einarr the Christian Son of Håkon, GPA
      Côte du Ciel
      Artemisia
      (MKA Dan Lind)

    • zipper51em
      Message 2 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
        Greetings to the list! I hope to make some new friends! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Omelan and I reside in the East Kingdom. I have been an archer for many years, the last 18 in the SCA.
        My longbow was made by Jay St. Charles (Pacific Yew Inc) Hickory backed Ipe, horn tipped, 76 inches long with a draw weight of 65lbs.(my baby) I shoot Poplar arrows with cow horn reinforced self nocks. I like to thread wrap the fletch with linen and coat the wraps with a mixture of hide glue and home grown verdigris. Brass points glued and pined. I don't use a quiver much but my arrow bag is like those illustrated in the book English Longbowman 1330-1515. On occasion I teach arrow making / building and bowstrings.
        Thank You for allowing me to join this wonderful list!

        Lord Omelan
        Barony of Dragonship Haven
        Archery Marshal
        Capt. Of the Archers