Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching problem

  • Carl Marten
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
      I had the same problem. I ended up sealing my arrows after I glue the fletches on. There is a polyurethane out there that you can use fletch tite on and it will stick. Don't know what it is. It is made especially for arrows . I think it is pretty spendy.

      Karl

      arrow_wolf1415 <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote: I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
      to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
      It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
      suggestions?

      Kateren
      Ansteorra

      http://www.shofars.us

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
        Ok, I read the other message where you said were using a Minwax Poly. I
        have never heard of people having problems with that put I also don't
        know anyone who has finished the shafts and then waited years to fletch
        them.

        If you know that your choice of glue was sticking well to recently
        applied poly then I would think that the easiest thing to do might be to
        apply a fresh coat of poly to all of the shafts and then fletch them
        with the glue you used before.

        Regards,

        -Eadric
        also from Ansteorra

        arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
        > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
        > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
        > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
        > suggestions?
        >
        > Kateren
        > Ansteorra

      • arturdubh
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
          It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since
          you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
          wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
          Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as it
          should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...

          I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
          glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry; it
          was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out to
          be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
          switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
          fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
          fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
          week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
          between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
          smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
          powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
          deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow in
          the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
          actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
          works.

          You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the shafts,
          but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
          doesn't come to that.

          --Artúr

          --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@...>
          wrote:

          > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
          years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
          fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
          laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

          > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

        • arturdubh
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
            I forgot to add that the finish I use is a lacquer; Duco sticks to it
            very well, and it makes for a smooth, durable finish/sealer. The only
            real problem I've ever had with it is certain types of back-stops
            tend to stick to the shaft, such as the back-stops at B'Wana Archery
            in St. Paul, MN -- I think those back-stops might have some sort of
            strange glue in them, though (they are some sort of "pressed paper
            pulp" stuff...); shooting into cardboard boxes (made of
            compressed/glued paper pulp as well) leaves nothing on the shaft.

            --Artúr

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
            wrote:

            > It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching.
            Since
            > you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
            > wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
            > Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as
            it
            > should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...
            >
            > I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
            > glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry;
            it
            > was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out
            > be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
            > switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
            > fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
            > fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
            > week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
            > between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
            > smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
            > powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
            > deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow
            in
            > the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
            > actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
            > works.
            >
            > You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the
            shafts,
            > but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
            > doesn't come to that.
            >
            > --Artúr
            >

            > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@>
            > wrote:
            > >
            > > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
            > years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I
            put
            > fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
            > laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.
            > >
            > > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

          • Edward deWitt
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
              Artur et al, I haven't tried making my on arrows, but in working with violins, I have found that, like you have, some glues and finishes aren't compatible. Acrylic will dissolve polys, and polys will dissolve enamels taking a very long time to dry and making a mess. Lacquer is very forgiving with most everything as is shellac.
              Edward

              arturdubh <nasionnaich@...> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

              wrote:

              > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
              years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
              fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
              laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

              > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

            • Kay Newsom
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                Well, I dipped two dozen and had plenty of arrows for myself. I finished one dozen for a friend. Then I haven't been able to get out and play much in the past few years cuz I was working all the time.
                Now I'm getting ready for my first Gulf Wars in 2 or 3 years.

                arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                > suggestions?
                >
                > Kateren
                > Ansteorra

              • Kay Newsom
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                  Looks like my best bet is gonna be to redip them with shellac or something along those lines.

                  arturdubh <nasionnaich@ hotmail.com> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

                  wrote:

                  > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                  years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                  fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                  laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                  > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                • ld.blackmoon
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                    greetings

                    >Kay Newsom said " Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction "

                    does that mean the homeland nazi's will be hunting us down if we shoot in the period division ?? ; )~

                    be safe , be happy, have fun
                    arthur blackmoon

                    arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                    > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                    > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                    > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                    > suggestions?
                    >
                    > Kateren
                    > Ansteorra

                  • Kay Newsom
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                      I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.

                      arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                      > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                      > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                      > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                      > suggestions?
                      >
                      > Kateren
                      > Ansteorra

                      Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                      Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                    • ld.blackmoon
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                        greetings

                        >>I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.<<

                        kool , with this whole war thing , and all the confusion over what constitutes a weapon of mass destruction , I was just wondering if they would come investigate us , and measure how much mass each of us could destruct with our chosen weapon ; )

                        ( but with all the bs the government is coming out with , under the " homeland security " umbrella , makes the back of my neck itch more , than the fear of a Russian or Chinese , or even Cuban nuke missile ever did . )
                        (moving on now as this is the wrong list for that discussion : )

                        be safe, be happy, have fun
                        Arthur blackmoon