Re: Fletching problem

  • jameswolfden
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11 6:18 PM
      Have you tried cleaning both the quill and and shaft with either alcohol or acetone to clean
      off any finger oils before putting the glue on?

      James

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arrow_wolf1415" <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote:

      > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
      > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
      > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
      > suggestions?
      >
      > Kateren
      > Ansteorra

    • Kay Newsom
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11 6:20 PM
        They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

        Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11 6:22 PM
          I used steel wool and sandpaper to try to rough up the finish with no better result. Haven't used acetone.

          Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

          Have you tried cleaning both the quill and and shaft with either alcohol or acetone to clean
          off any finger oils before putting the glue on?

          James

          --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "arrow_wolf1415" <arrow_wolf1415@ ...> wrote:

          > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
          > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
          > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
          > suggestions?
          >
          > Kateren
          > Ansteorra

        • Eadric Anstapa
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11 7:22 PM
            How are your shafts finished.

            The glues to mention should cover just about anything. Personally I
            think it is hard to beat good old Duco cement.

            Regards,

            -Eadric
            also from Ansteorra

            arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
            > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
            > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
            > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
            > suggestions?
            >
            > Kateren
            > Ansteorra

          • Carl Marten
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11 7:30 PM
              I had the same problem. I ended up sealing my arrows after I glue the fletches on. There is a polyurethane out there that you can use fletch tite on and it will stick. Don't know what it is. It is made especially for arrows . I think it is pretty spendy.

              Karl

              arrow_wolf1415 <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote: I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
              to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
              It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
              suggestions?

              Kateren
              Ansteorra

              http://www.shofars.us

            • Eadric Anstapa
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11 8:21 PM
                Ok, I read the other message where you said were using a Minwax Poly. I
                have never heard of people having problems with that put I also don't
                know anyone who has finished the shafts and then waited years to fletch
                them.

                If you know that your choice of glue was sticking well to recently
                applied poly then I would think that the easiest thing to do might be to
                apply a fresh coat of poly to all of the shafts and then fletch them
                with the glue you used before.

                Regards,

                -Eadric
                also from Ansteorra

                arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                > suggestions?
                >
                > Kateren
                > Ansteorra

              • arturdubh
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11 8:24 PM
                  It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since
                  you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
                  wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
                  Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as it
                  should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...

                  I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
                  glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry; it
                  was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out to
                  be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
                  switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
                  fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
                  fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
                  week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
                  between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
                  smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
                  powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
                  deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow in
                  the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
                  actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
                  works.

                  You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the shafts,
                  but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
                  doesn't come to that.

                  --Artúr

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@...>
                  wrote:

                  > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                  years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                  fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                  laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                  > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                • arturdubh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11 8:35 PM
                    I forgot to add that the finish I use is a lacquer; Duco sticks to it
                    very well, and it makes for a smooth, durable finish/sealer. The only
                    real problem I've ever had with it is certain types of back-stops
                    tend to stick to the shaft, such as the back-stops at B'Wana Archery
                    in St. Paul, MN -- I think those back-stops might have some sort of
                    strange glue in them, though (they are some sort of "pressed paper
                    pulp" stuff...); shooting into cardboard boxes (made of
                    compressed/glued paper pulp as well) leaves nothing on the shaft.

                    --Artúr

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                    wrote:

                    > It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching.
                    Since
                    > you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
                    > wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
                    > Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as
                    it
                    > should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...
                    >
                    > I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
                    > glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry;
                    it
                    > was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out
                    > be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
                    > switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
                    > fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
                    > fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
                    > week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
                    > between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
                    > smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
                    > powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
                    > deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow
                    in
                    > the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
                    > actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
                    > works.
                    >
                    > You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the
                    shafts,
                    > but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
                    > doesn't come to that.
                    >
                    > --Artúr
                    >

                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                    > years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I
                    put
                    > fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                    > laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.
                    > >
                    > > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                  • Edward deWitt
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 12 4:58 AM
                      Artur et al, I haven't tried making my on arrows, but in working with violins, I have found that, like you have, some glues and finishes aren't compatible. Acrylic will dissolve polys, and polys will dissolve enamels taking a very long time to dry and making a mess. Lacquer is very forgiving with most everything as is shellac.
                      Edward

                      arturdubh <nasionnaich@...> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

                      wrote:

                      > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                      years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                      fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                      laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                      > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                    • Kay Newsom
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12 6:11 AM
                        Well, I dipped two dozen and had plenty of arrows for myself. I finished one dozen for a friend. Then I haven't been able to get out and play much in the past few years cuz I was working all the time.
                        Now I'm getting ready for my first Gulf Wars in 2 or 3 years.

                        arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                        > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                        > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                        > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                        > suggestions?
                        >
                        > Kateren
                        > Ansteorra

                      • Kay Newsom
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12 6:14 AM
                          Looks like my best bet is gonna be to redip them with shellac or something along those lines.

                          arturdubh <nasionnaich@ hotmail.com> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

                          wrote:

                          > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                          years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                          fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                          laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                          > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                        • ld.blackmoon
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 12 9:12 AM
                            greetings

                            >Kay Newsom said " Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction "

                            does that mean the homeland nazi's will be hunting us down if we shoot in the period division ?? ; )~

                            be safe , be happy, have fun
                            arthur blackmoon

                            arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                            > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                            > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                            > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                            > suggestions?
                            >
                            > Kateren
                            > Ansteorra

                          • Kay Newsom
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 12 7:42 PM
                              I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.

                              arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                              > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                              > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                              > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                              > suggestions?
                              >
                              > Kateren
                              > Ansteorra

                              Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                              Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                            • ld.blackmoon
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 12 8:32 PM
                                greetings

                                >>I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.<<

                                kool , with this whole war thing , and all the confusion over what constitutes a weapon of mass destruction , I was just wondering if they would come investigate us , and measure how much mass each of us could destruct with our chosen weapon ; )

                                ( but with all the bs the government is coming out with , under the " homeland security " umbrella , makes the back of my neck itch more , than the fear of a Russian or Chinese , or even Cuban nuke missile ever did . )
                                (moving on now as this is the wrong list for that discussion : )

                                be safe, be happy, have fun
                                Arthur blackmoon