Re: [SCA-Archery] Fletching problem

  • Richard Yeager
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
      What sort of sealer do you have on your shafts?

      arrow_wolf1415 <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote: I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
      to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
      It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
      suggestions?

      Kateren
      Ansteorra

    • jameswolfden
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
        Have you tried cleaning both the quill and and shaft with either alcohol or acetone to clean
        off any finger oils before putting the glue on?

        James

        --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arrow_wolf1415" <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote:

        > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
        > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
        > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
        > suggestions?
        >
        > Kateren
        > Ansteorra

      • Kay Newsom
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
          They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

          Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
            I used steel wool and sandpaper to try to rough up the finish with no better result. Haven't used acetone.

            Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

            Have you tried cleaning both the quill and and shaft with either alcohol or acetone to clean
            off any finger oils before putting the glue on?

            James

            --- In SCA-Archery@ yahoogroups. com, "arrow_wolf1415" <arrow_wolf1415@ ...> wrote:

            > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
            > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
            > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
            > suggestions?
            >
            > Kateren
            > Ansteorra

          • Eadric Anstapa
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
              How are your shafts finished.

              The glues to mention should cover just about anything. Personally I
              think it is hard to beat good old Duco cement.

              Regards,

              -Eadric
              also from Ansteorra

              arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
              > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
              > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
              > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
              > suggestions?
              >
              > Kateren
              > Ansteorra

            • Carl Marten
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                I had the same problem. I ended up sealing my arrows after I glue the fletches on. There is a polyurethane out there that you can use fletch tite on and it will stick. Don't know what it is. It is made especially for arrows . I think it is pretty spendy.

                Karl

                arrow_wolf1415 <arrow_wolf1415@...> wrote: I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                suggestions?

                Kateren
                Ansteorra

                http://www.shofars.us

              • Eadric Anstapa
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                  Ok, I read the other message where you said were using a Minwax Poly. I
                  have never heard of people having problems with that put I also don't
                  know anyone who has finished the shafts and then waited years to fletch
                  them.

                  If you know that your choice of glue was sticking well to recently
                  applied poly then I would think that the easiest thing to do might be to
                  apply a fresh coat of poly to all of the shafts and then fletch them
                  with the glue you used before.

                  Regards,

                  -Eadric
                  also from Ansteorra

                  arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                  > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                  > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                  > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                  > suggestions?
                  >
                  > Kateren
                  > Ansteorra

                • arturdubh
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                    It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since
                    you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
                    wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
                    Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as it
                    should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...

                    I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
                    glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry; it
                    was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out to
                    be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
                    switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
                    fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
                    fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
                    week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
                    between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
                    smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
                    powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
                    deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow in
                    the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
                    actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
                    works.

                    You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the shafts,
                    but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
                    doesn't come to that.

                    --Artúr

                    --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@...>
                    wrote:

                    > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                    years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                    fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                    laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                    > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                  • arturdubh
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                      I forgot to add that the finish I use is a lacquer; Duco sticks to it
                      very well, and it makes for a smooth, durable finish/sealer. The only
                      real problem I've ever had with it is certain types of back-stops
                      tend to stick to the shaft, such as the back-stops at B'Wana Archery
                      in St. Paul, MN -- I think those back-stops might have some sort of
                      strange glue in them, though (they are some sort of "pressed paper
                      pulp" stuff...); shooting into cardboard boxes (made of
                      compressed/glued paper pulp as well) leaves nothing on the shaft.

                      --Artúr

                      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "arturdubh" <nasionnaich@...>
                      wrote:

                      > It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching.
                      Since
                      > you say that you have tried roughing them up a bit with steel
                      > wool/sandpaper, I have to ask: What grit of steel wool/sandpaper?
                      > Sometimes if the grit is too rough, the glue won't work as well as
                      it
                      > should. I know, it seems wierd, but there it is...
                      >
                      > I used to have a problem with Fletch-Tite glue not "sticking" (the
                      > glue would "melt" the finish and take well over 40 minutes to dry;
                      it
                      > was almost as though the glue wasn't even working); it turned out
                      > be the glue wasn't fully compatible with the finish I was using. I
                      > switched to Duco cement and started leaving the arrow in the
                      > fletching jig for at least 20 minutes before moving on to the next
                      > fletch. If the finished shafts have been sitting for more than a
                      > week, I give them a quick wipe-down with #0000 steel wool (I use it
                      > between finish coats and before fletching anyway, for the ultra-
                      > smooth feel of the finished shaft) and a clean cloth (to remove the
                      > powdered finish left by the steel wool), to remove any surface
                      > deposits which might inhibit glue adhesion, and I leave the arrow
                      in
                      > the jig for an extra few minutes (just to make sure the glue
                      > actually "sticks"). Some of it's over-kill, sure, but at least it
                      > works.
                      >
                      > You may need to remove the old finish and then re-finish the
                      shafts,
                      > but I think that would be a "last resort" kind of thing. I hope it
                      > doesn't come to that.
                      >
                      > --Artúr
                      >

                      > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Kay Newsom <arrow_wolf1415@>
                      > wrote:
                      > >
                      > > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                      > years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I
                      put
                      > fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                      > laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.
                      > >
                      > > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                    • Edward deWitt
                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                        Artur et al, I haven't tried making my on arrows, but in working with violins, I have found that, like you have, some glues and finishes aren't compatible. Acrylic will dissolve polys, and polys will dissolve enamels taking a very long time to dry and making a mess. Lacquer is very forgiving with most everything as is shellac.
                        Edward

                        arturdubh <nasionnaich@...> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

                        wrote:

                        > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                        years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                        fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                        laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                        > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                      • Kay Newsom
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                          Well, I dipped two dozen and had plenty of arrows for myself. I finished one dozen for a friend. Then I haven't been able to get out and play much in the past few years cuz I was working all the time.
                          Now I'm getting ready for my first Gulf Wars in 2 or 3 years.

                          arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                          > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                          > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                          > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                          > suggestions?
                          >
                          > Kateren
                          > Ansteorra

                        • Kay Newsom
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                            Looks like my best bet is gonna be to redip them with shellac or something along those lines.

                            arturdubh <nasionnaich@ hotmail.com> wrote: It sounds as though you let them sit too long before fletching. Since

                            wrote:

                            > They have some Minwax stain/sealer. I dipped them a couple of
                            years ago. I did 2 dozen shafts at the time. The first dozen I put
                            fletches on right away with no problem. This second batch has been
                            laying around awhile. Now, nothing will stick to them.

                            > Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction

                          • ld.blackmoon
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                              greetings

                              >Kay Newsom said " Longbow-the Original Weapon of Mass Destruction "

                              does that mean the homeland nazi's will be hunting us down if we shoot in the period division ?? ; )~

                              be safe , be happy, have fun
                              arthur blackmoon

                              arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                              > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                              > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                              > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                              > suggestions?
                              >
                              > Kateren
                              > Ansteorra

                            • Kay Newsom
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                                I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.

                                arrow_wolf1415 wrote:
                                > I'm having a serious problem with glueing on fletches. Nothing seems
                                > to want to stick. I've tried Fletchtite, Duco Cement and super glue.
                                > It just seems to evaporate without sticking. Anyone have any
                                > suggestions?
                                >
                                > Kateren
                                > Ansteorra

                                Looking for last minute shopping deals?

                                Checked by AVG Free Edition.

                              • ld.blackmoon
                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 12, 2008
                                  greetings

                                  >>I used to be one of those Homeland Security Nazis. And since we never discussed the longbow in my weapons of mass effect class, I think as long as we don't try to launch a nuke with one, they can't touch us.<<

                                  kool , with this whole war thing , and all the confusion over what constitutes a weapon of mass destruction , I was just wondering if they would come investigate us , and measure how much mass each of us could destruct with our chosen weapon ; )

                                  ( but with all the bs the government is coming out with , under the " homeland security " umbrella , makes the back of my neck itch more , than the fear of a Russian or Chinese , or even Cuban nuke missile ever did . )
                                  (moving on now as this is the wrong list for that discussion : )

                                  be safe, be happy, have fun
                                  Arthur blackmoon