Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New to the list

  • Dan Lind
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
      Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow? No doubt
      the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer determine that
      the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form either a hard
      or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?

      Christian

      On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:

      > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
      > into the bow.
      > .

    • morgan wolf
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
        I have to slightly disagree with Cuan, there are parts of the Bowyer's Bibles that *are* written for the first timer, but he is right that the vast majority of the information is written for an experienced bowyer/woodworker, so spending $50-$70 for the set before you've even tried to make a bow might not be the best plan. Check out http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi
        for some great tips and build-alongs, as well as some really great "oops" info, so you can learn from the mistakes of others.

        As for wood, i will echo the red oak sentiment, and I've found a few nice pieces at my local Lowes, just remember to look for good straight grain, no knots, and wide growth rings. A 72" 1"x2" makes a nice flatbow.

        Morgan

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
          Trial and error- you build it, sometimes the little knot makes for interesting "character", sometimes the limb snaps in your face when you draw it.

          Morgan

          On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@tiresplus. com > wrote:

          > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
          > into the bow.
          > .

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
            YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
            enough that the bow has extra strength there.

            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Lind" <darthnapster@...>
            wrote:

            > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
            No doubt
            > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
            determine that
            > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
            either a hard
            > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
            >
            > Christian
            >

            > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
            > >
            > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
            work them
            > > into the bow.
            > > .

          • Dan Lind
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
              Thank you

              On 1/11/08, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

              > YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
              > enough that the bow has extra strength there.
              >
              > Logan
              >
              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan
              > Lind" <darthnapster@...>
              > wrote:
              > >
              > > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
              > No doubt
              > > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
              > determine that
              > > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
              > either a hard
              > > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
              > >
              > > Christian
              > >

              > > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
              > work them
              > > > into the bow.
              > > > .

              Einarr the Christian Son of Håkon, GPA
              Côte du Ciel
              Artemisia
              (MKA Dan Lind)

            • zipper51em
              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
                Greetings to the list! I hope to make some new friends! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Omelan and I reside in the East Kingdom. I have been an archer for many years, the last 18 in the SCA.
                My longbow was made by Jay St. Charles (Pacific Yew Inc) Hickory backed Ipe, horn tipped, 76 inches long with a draw weight of 65lbs.(my baby) I shoot Poplar arrows with cow horn reinforced self nocks. I like to thread wrap the fletch with linen and coat the wraps with a mixture of hide glue and home grown verdigris. Brass points glued and pined. I don't use a quiver much but my arrow bag is like those illustrated in the book English Longbowman 1330-1515. On occasion I teach arrow making / building and bowstrings.
                Thank You for allowing me to join this wonderful list!

                Lord Omelan
                Barony of Dragonship Haven
                Archery Marshal
                Capt. Of the Archers