Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: New to the list

  • THL Caedmon Wilson
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
      This past summer, I made a some practice attempts at making a longbow.
      Instead of going to the big box store to buy the wood, I went out to
      my parent's land and scouted a few 3" diameter trees. I decided to do
      the method of bow making from the Bowyer's Bible where you work the
      bow while the cut is still fresh and wet. My tree identification
      scores are poor, so I cannot tell you what kind of the wood it was.

      The end products looked like bows, but each failed due to flaws in the
      wood. It was more for the practice of tillering a bow, so I did not
      feel too bad. This coming summer, I will probably try again. It made
      for a pleasant hour out in the garage.

      -Caedmon
    • Oakes, George
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
        All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

        Go Slow!

        If you think your going slow enough, slow down even more.

        Take a couple whacks at the wood with whatever your using to scrape down
        the limbs, rasp, file, cabinet scraper, and check it on the tillering
        stick. Then go back and take a few more whacks. Check it again, repeat
        as nessesary

        Wood is very suseptable to the world and the environment around it, Keep
        a close eye on the grain, growth rings, and any possible knots. Dont cut
        out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them into the
        bow.

        Good luck on your future bows.

        Peace
        Gavin

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
          Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow? No doubt
          the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer determine that
          the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form either a hard
          or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?

          Christian

          On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:

          > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
          > into the bow.
          > .

        • Richard Yeager
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
            This is some good advice. At the risk of upsetting others i would disagree with some of hte other advice, at least at first. Wait until you have tried to make a couple f bows BEFORE going through the Boywer's Bibles. They really are not intended for "I've never done this before and am looking for a good how-to source" They are great books which are much more useful AFTER you have started making bows. Threy are a number of on-line guides for people just beginning that offer a better place to start (assuming you cannot find a bowyer to help at first). The Paleo-planet site also has some useful articles archived (and some of the authors of "the Bible" post there regularly). I would start with a board instead of a log. If you can, find one of the specialty lumber houses and try for a nice piece of Hickory or pecan. For about $15 to $20, you should be able to find a piece that will produce 5 or more staves to practice on. If you are lucky, they will have quarter sawn
            stock. Barring hickory, some nice ash, hard maple, or red oak are also good choices. If you have to go to big box, find the red oak instead of the common pine.

            Once you have it, as suggested, go slow. You can always remove more wood. You can't put Any back

            Good Luck and have fun. Don't get discouraged. Even those of us that make these things commercially have a fair number of staves that never make it to finished bow.

            Cuan mac Niall

            "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote: All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
              I have to slightly disagree with Cuan, there are parts of the Bowyer's Bibles that *are* written for the first timer, but he is right that the vast majority of the information is written for an experienced bowyer/woodworker, so spending $50-$70 for the set before you've even tried to make a bow might not be the best plan. Check out http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi
              for some great tips and build-alongs, as well as some really great "oops" info, so you can learn from the mistakes of others.

              As for wood, i will echo the red oak sentiment, and I've found a few nice pieces at my local Lowes, just remember to look for good straight grain, no knots, and wide growth rings. A 72" 1"x2" makes a nice flatbow.

              Morgan

              "Oakes, George" <goakes@tiresplus. com> wrote: All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

              ____________ _________ _________ __

              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                Trial and error- you build it, sometimes the little knot makes for interesting "character", sometimes the limb snaps in your face when you draw it.

                Morgan

                On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@tiresplus. com > wrote:

                > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
                > into the bow.
                > .

              • logantheboweyder
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                  YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
                  enough that the bow has extra strength there.

                  Logan

                  --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Lind" <darthnapster@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
                  No doubt
                  > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
                  determine that
                  > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
                  either a hard
                  > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
                  >
                  > Christian
                  >

                  > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
                  work them
                  > > into the bow.
                  > > .

                • Dan Lind
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Thank you

                    On 1/11/08, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

                    > YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
                    > enough that the bow has extra strength there.
                    >
                    > Logan
                    >
                    > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan
                    > Lind" <darthnapster@...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
                    > No doubt
                    > > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
                    > determine that
                    > > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
                    > either a hard
                    > > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
                    > >
                    > > Christian
                    > >

                    > > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
                    > work them
                    > > > into the bow.
                    > > > .

                    Einarr the Christian Son of Håkon, GPA
                    Côte du Ciel
                    Artemisia
                    (MKA Dan Lind)

                  • zipper51em
                    Message 9 of 16 , Aug 29 5:49 PM
                      Greetings to the list! I hope to make some new friends! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Omelan and I reside in the East Kingdom. I have been an archer for many years, the last 18 in the SCA.
                      My longbow was made by Jay St. Charles (Pacific Yew Inc) Hickory backed Ipe, horn tipped, 76 inches long with a draw weight of 65lbs.(my baby) I shoot Poplar arrows with cow horn reinforced self nocks. I like to thread wrap the fletch with linen and coat the wraps with a mixture of hide glue and home grown verdigris. Brass points glued and pined. I don't use a quiver much but my arrow bag is like those illustrated in the book English Longbowman 1330-1515. On occasion I teach arrow making / building and bowstrings.
                      Thank You for allowing me to join this wonderful list!

                      Lord Omelan
                      Barony of Dragonship Haven
                      Archery Marshal
                      Capt. Of the Archers