Re: [SCA-Archery] New to the list

  • Carl Marten
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
      Borrow , beg or buy the bowyers bible volumes. Start making you practice bows out of board staves from the hard wood store. Maple, hickory / ash, oak for starters. Remember to back these bows as you will almost never get one that has the gain just right. Start making six foot bows. Less stress and less chance of one breaking. After you make several hot shooters, try yew. I found it very enjoyable to work with. I made my first hunting bow out of yew, 80#. My next bow and the one I still use for IKACs and hunting is a character bow I made out of Osage. 60# and very fast.

      Have fun, Karl

      Andy Mueller <runs-with-scissors@...> wrote: Hello all -
      Just a short hello. I am Etienne Le Rouge from the Barony of Three Rivers
      in Calontir.
      I've been involved in SCA archery for about 10 years off and on, most of
      that with a Martin recurve.
      Two years ago I began shooting a factory-made laminated longbow, and this
      past summer, a friend and I decided to take on the project of building
      ourselves crossbows.
      I've built a crossbow loosely based on a period German sporting bow, using
      an ash tiller and Gladius steel prod, and I've shot it with good success
      thus far.
      My partner in crime is still waiting on some components to finish his
      crossbow, so mine is acting as our shared "test bed" until he can finish
      his.

      I currently make my own arrows and bowstrings, and at some point I'd like to
      begin the process of learning to make a period style d-section longbow -
      although I have to say that I'm procrastinating on that front. The thought
      of how many failed trail and error attempts, and how many hours of practice
      it will take to become reasonably good at it have me a bit intimidated. I
      would love to make my own yew selfbow, but I figure that taking a drawknife
      to an expensive yew stave isn't wise until one has put in some "apprentice"
      time on lesser (and cheaper) woods.

      Anyway, I signed on to the list to glean tips, tricks, advice and news - and
      share any pertinent information I may come across.
      Mostly, I'll probably just lurk, if that's okay. (Better to keep a closed
      mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.) :-)

      Cheers -
      Etienne

      Etienne LeRouge
      Barony of Three Rivers
      Kingdom of Calontir

      http://www.shofars.us

    • ld.blackmoon
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 8, 2008
        greetings

        welcome
        you have a lot of top flight archers up in your neck of the woods. so you should be able to get some first hand help as well as what you find on this list .

        be safe, be happy, have fun
        arthur blackmoon

        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 9, 2008
          I would like to suggest that you spend some time perusing the
          archives. Over the years many discussions have been held of
          bowmaking and there is a great deal to be gleaned there.
          Carolus

          At 05:01 PM 1/8/2008, you wrote:

          >Hello all -
          >Just a short hello. I am Etienne Le Rouge from the Barony of Three Rivers
          >in Calontir.
          >I've been involved in SCA archery for about 10 years off and on, most of
          >that with a Martin recurve.
          >Two years ago I began shooting a factory-made laminated longbow, and this
          >past summer, a friend and I decided to take on the project of building
          >ourselves crossbows.
          >I've built a crossbow loosely based on a period German sporting bow, using
          >an ash tiller and Gladius steel prod, and I've shot it with good success
          >thus far.
          >My partner in crime is still waiting on some components to finish his
          >crossbow, so mine is acting as our shared "test bed" until he can finish
          >his.
          >
          >I currently make my own arrows and bowstrings, and at some point I'd like to
          >begin the process of learning to make a period style d-section longbow -
          >although I have to say that I'm procrastinating on that front. The thought
          >of how many failed trail and error attempts, and how many hours of practice
          >it will take to become reasonably good at it have me a bit intimidated. I
          >would love to make my own yew selfbow, but I figure that taking a drawknife
          >to an expensive yew stave isn't wise until one has put in some "apprentice"
          >time on lesser (and cheaper) woods.
          >
          >Anyway, I signed on to the list to glean tips, tricks, advice and news - and
          >share any pertinent information I may come across.
          >Mostly, I'll probably just lurk, if that's okay. (Better to keep a closed
          >mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.) :-)
          >
          >Cheers -
          >Etienne
          >
          >Etienne LeRouge
          >Barony of Three Rivers
          >Kingdom of Calontir

        • logantheboweyder
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 9, 2008
            Good advice, here, Ettiene, except instead of working with a board,
            go get yourself a hedge stave. Maclura Pomifera, hedgeapple, Osage
            Orange, bowdark, Bois d'Arc. They are readily available where you
            are from traditional bowyers, and a common farm weed tree. For your
            first, don't bother logging one yourself (It takes too long to dry),
            but spend the $40 to get a stave. They are much easier to work with
            than a hardwood board, and you will be more likely to get a bow that
            is a failure before you get an arrow out of it.

            My 2 cents,
            Logan

            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Carl Marten
            <highlander_archer@...> wrote:

> [...]
            longbow -
            > although I have to say that I'm procrastinating on that front.
            The thought
            > of how many failed trail and error attempts, and how many hours
            of practice
            > it will take to become reasonably good at it have me a bit
            intimidated. I
            > would love to make my own yew selfbow, but I figure that taking a
            drawknife
            > to an expensive yew stave isn't wise until one has put in
            some "apprentice"
            > time on lesser (and cheaper) woods.
            >
            > Anyway, I signed on to the list to glean tips, tricks, advice and
            news - and
            > share any pertinent information I may come across.
            > Mostly, I'll probably just lurk, if that's okay. (Better to
            keep a closed
            > mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all

          • arturdubh
            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
              It's a trade-off...$40 for an Osage stave -- which if ruined, is a
              heart-breaker; or a $10 board -- which when ruined is just another
              piece of firewood (which it could have been anyway). I dunno, but I
              would rather spend $10 on a learning experience, even if the wood
              is "harder to work"...... Besides, a usable bow can be made out of a
              pine board, if it's all you can get (and even Yew is a 'soft-wood'
              compared to oak and maple). I've always heard that Osage is a bear to
              work.....

              --Artúr

              --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "logantheboweyder"
              <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

> [...]
              > > although I have to say that I'm procrastinating on that front.
              > The thought
              > > of how many failed trail and error attempts, and how many hours
              > of practice
              > > it will take to become reasonably good at it have me a bit
              > intimidated. I
              > > would love to make my own yew selfbow, but I figure that taking
              > drawknife
              > > to an expensive yew stave isn't wise until one has put in
              > some "apprentice"
              > > time on lesser (and cheaper) woods.
              > >
              > > Anyway, I signed on to the list to glean tips, tricks, advice
              and
              > news - and
              > > share any pertinent information I may come across.
              > > Mostly, I'll probably just lurk, if that's okay. (Better to
              > keep a closed
              > > mouth and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all

            • THL Caedmon Wilson
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                This past summer, I made a some practice attempts at making a longbow.
                Instead of going to the big box store to buy the wood, I went out to
                my parent's land and scouted a few 3" diameter trees. I decided to do
                the method of bow making from the Bowyer's Bible where you work the
                bow while the cut is still fresh and wet. My tree identification
                scores are poor, so I cannot tell you what kind of the wood it was.

                The end products looked like bows, but each failed due to flaws in the
                wood. It was more for the practice of tillering a bow, so I did not
                feel too bad. This coming summer, I will probably try again. It made
                for a pleasant hour out in the garage.

                -Caedmon
              • Oakes, George
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                  All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

                  Go Slow!

                  If you think your going slow enough, slow down even more.

                  Take a couple whacks at the wood with whatever your using to scrape down
                  the limbs, rasp, file, cabinet scraper, and check it on the tillering
                  stick. Then go back and take a few more whacks. Check it again, repeat
                  as nessesary

                  Wood is very suseptable to the world and the environment around it, Keep
                  a close eye on the grain, growth rings, and any possible knots. Dont cut
                  out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them into the
                  bow.

                  Good luck on your future bows.

                  Peace
                  Gavin

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                    Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow? No doubt
                    the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer determine that
                    the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form either a hard
                    or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?

                    Christian

                    On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:

                    > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
                    > into the bow.
                    > .

                  • Richard Yeager
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                      This is some good advice. At the risk of upsetting others i would disagree with some of hte other advice, at least at first. Wait until you have tried to make a couple f bows BEFORE going through the Boywer's Bibles. They really are not intended for "I've never done this before and am looking for a good how-to source" They are great books which are much more useful AFTER you have started making bows. Threy are a number of on-line guides for people just beginning that offer a better place to start (assuming you cannot find a bowyer to help at first). The Paleo-planet site also has some useful articles archived (and some of the authors of "the Bible" post there regularly). I would start with a board instead of a log. If you can, find one of the specialty lumber houses and try for a nice piece of Hickory or pecan. For about $15 to $20, you should be able to find a piece that will produce 5 or more staves to practice on. If you are lucky, they will have quarter sawn
                      stock. Barring hickory, some nice ash, hard maple, or red oak are also good choices. If you have to go to big box, find the red oak instead of the common pine.

                      Once you have it, as suggested, go slow. You can always remove more wood. You can't put Any back

                      Good Luck and have fun. Don't get discouraged. Even those of us that make these things commercially have a fair number of staves that never make it to finished bow.

                      Cuan mac Niall

                      "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote: All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                        I have to slightly disagree with Cuan, there are parts of the Bowyer's Bibles that *are* written for the first timer, but he is right that the vast majority of the information is written for an experienced bowyer/woodworker, so spending $50-$70 for the set before you've even tried to make a bow might not be the best plan. Check out http://www.xsorbit4.com/users/buildabow/index.cgi
                        for some great tips and build-alongs, as well as some really great "oops" info, so you can learn from the mistakes of others.

                        As for wood, i will echo the red oak sentiment, and I've found a few nice pieces at my local Lowes, just remember to look for good straight grain, no knots, and wide growth rings. A 72" 1"x2" makes a nice flatbow.

                        Morgan

                        "Oakes, George" <goakes@tiresplus. com> wrote: All I can say about making a bow that can help you is this.

                        ____________ _________ _________ __

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                          Trial and error- you build it, sometimes the little knot makes for interesting "character", sometimes the limb snaps in your face when you draw it.

                          Morgan

                          On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@tiresplus. com > wrote:

                          > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and work them
                          > into the bow.
                          > .

                        • logantheboweyder
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                            YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
                            enough that the bow has extra strength there.

                            Logan

                            --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, "Dan Lind" <darthnapster@...>
                            wrote:

                            > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
                            No doubt
                            > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
                            determine that
                            > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
                            either a hard
                            > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
                            >
                            > Christian
                            >

                            > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
                            work them
                            > > into the bow.
                            > > .

                          • Dan Lind
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jan 11, 2008
                              Thank you

                              On 1/11/08, logantheboweyder <logantheboweyder@...> wrote:

                              > YOu assume it will be a weak spot, and leave extra wood around it,
                              > enough that the bow has extra strength there.
                              >
                              > Logan
                              >
                              > --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com <SCA-Archery%40yahoogroups.com>, "Dan
                              > Lind" <darthnapster@...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > Okay, total newb question. How does one work a knot into a bow?
                              > No doubt
                              > > the finished bow looks pretty cool, but how does the bowyer
                              > determine that
                              > > the bow will not explode when drawn? Wouldn't the knot form
                              > either a hard
                              > > or weak spot which could shatter when normal force is applied?
                              > >
                              > > Christian
                              > >

                              > > On 1/11/08, Oakes, George <goakes@... > wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > Dont cut out the knots, leave them in, go around them, and
                              > work them
                              > > > into the bow.
                              > > > .

                              Einarr the Christian Son of Håkon, GPA
                              Côte du Ciel
                              Artemisia
                              (MKA Dan Lind)

                            • zipper51em
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 29, 2009
                                Greetings to the list! I hope to make some new friends! Please allow me to introduce myself. My name is Omelan and I reside in the East Kingdom. I have been an archer for many years, the last 18 in the SCA.
                                My longbow was made by Jay St. Charles (Pacific Yew Inc) Hickory backed Ipe, horn tipped, 76 inches long with a draw weight of 65lbs.(my baby) I shoot Poplar arrows with cow horn reinforced self nocks. I like to thread wrap the fletch with linen and coat the wraps with a mixture of hide glue and home grown verdigris. Brass points glued and pined. I don't use a quiver much but my arrow bag is like those illustrated in the book English Longbowman 1330-1515. On occasion I teach arrow making / building and bowstrings.
                                Thank You for allowing me to join this wonderful list!

                                Lord Omelan
                                Barony of Dragonship Haven
                                Archery Marshal
                                Capt. Of the Archers