Re: [SCA-Archery] Heaviest pound draw weight ever made/attempted?

  • Carl Marten
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 27, 2007
      I made a 80# English long bow out of Yew wood, unbacked. Very smooth, no hand shock, 74 inches. I hunted with it for many years. I now have a 60# Osage flat bow I made. Also very fast and little hand shock. I also made a period xbow,150#. I used a fiberglass prod though. I have shot many IKACs with these bows. I hope to make another English long bow, around a 160 plus pounds some day.
      Karl

      Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote: Master Spence Colby of Æthelmearc had at one time two bows we referred to as
      'Beauty' and the 'Beast'. 'Beauty' was a #98 wood laminated. and the 'Beast'
      was #124 laminated. Newcomers would show up at the range and ask if they
      might try with some loaner gear and he would get this devilish glint in his
      eye and say, "Sure...... Try this one." The looks of surprise and
      consternation on their faces were priceless. Their relief was enormous when
      we would then hand them a #35.

      Great fun all around.

      Brad

      Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Heaviest pound draw weight ever made/attempted?

      > My heaviest attempt was a 95# 78" English made Yew bow. the first shot
      was pathetic. After being instructed on drawing technique, I was able to
      pull a full draw. when I released, the triceps in my pulling arm cramped.
      > I shoot a 72" pecan longbow at 40# and it is comfortable. I just started
      trying my 1952 Pearson 55# flatbow. It is a challenge.
      > Edward
      >
      > "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
      Greetings my good Bowyers, and apprentices

      http://www.shofars.us

    • Carl Marten
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 27, 2007