Re: [SCA-Archery] Re: Heaviest pound draw weight ever made/attempted?

  • James Koch
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 21, 2007
      James,

      Try doing a speed round with a .62 caliber blowgun! I just about
      pass out afterwards from hyper-ventilating.

      Jim Koch (Gladius The Alchemist)

      >I have seen a 300 lb crossbow cocked at Gulf War....it did not last
      >one shot! I use a 150 lb crossbow and have to do the speed rounds
      >first before I run out of energy for the eighth bolt.
      >
      >James Cunningham
    • Carl Marten
      Message 53 of 53 , Dec 27, 2007
        I made a 80# English long bow out of Yew wood, unbacked. Very smooth, no hand shock, 74 inches. I hunted with it for many years. I now have a 60# Osage flat bow I made. Also very fast and little hand shock. I also made a period xbow,150#. I used a fiberglass prod though. I have shot many IKACs with these bows. I hope to make another English long bow, around a 160 plus pounds some day.
        Karl

        Brad Boda d'Aylward <bradb@...> wrote: Master Spence Colby of Æthelmearc had at one time two bows we referred to as
        'Beauty' and the 'Beast'. 'Beauty' was a #98 wood laminated. and the 'Beast'
        was #124 laminated. Newcomers would show up at the range and ask if they
        might try with some loaner gear and he would get this devilish glint in his
        eye and say, "Sure...... Try this one." The looks of surprise and
        consternation on their faces were priceless. Their relief was enormous when
        we would then hand them a #35.

        Great fun all around.

        Brad

        Subject: Re: [SCA-Archery] Heaviest pound draw weight ever made/attempted?

        > My heaviest attempt was a 95# 78" English made Yew bow. the first shot
        was pathetic. After being instructed on drawing technique, I was able to
        pull a full draw. when I released, the triceps in my pulling arm cramped.
        > I shoot a 72" pecan longbow at 40# and it is comfortable. I just started
        trying my 1952 Pearson 55# flatbow. It is a challenge.
        > Edward
        >
        > "Oakes, George" <goakes@...> wrote:
        Greetings my good Bowyers, and apprentices

        http://www.shofars.us