Re: [SCA-Archery]Hand shock, was, Fletch effects of flight distance

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 9, 2007
      When loreleiElkins@... put fingers to keys it was 12/9/07 8:05 AM...

      > In reading the resent posts, I was interested when Christophe talked about
      > hand shock. I shoot a 30lb Martin X-200. The arrows I make are spined 30-35 on
      > a 5/16ths shaft. I cut a few inches off, so the spine weight increases a
      > bit. I use 100 grain field points. They fly nice. I've noticed lately a bit of
      > hand shock. I've had people tell me my hand kicks out to the side when I
      > shoot.

      Which hand? Which side?
      In a dynamic grip (vs. rigid) the bow can shift away from the arrow a
      little bit. Perfectly natural.

      > Maybe it always did this and I didn't notice it earlier because I was
      > concentrating so hard on release and form, etc and as I get better I pay
      > attention to different things. Not sure. I've also read that improper brace
      > height can cause hand shock, that each bow has a "sweet spot" and if your arrows
      > are spined correctly, that perhaps it is the brace height which is causing the
      > problem. I have the brace height set at about 8 inches. The recommend
      > height for that bow is 8 to 8 3/4 inches. Thoughts?

      I'm going to need to have it explained in detail before I believe spine
      has much to so with it.*

      Experience tells me that it's the actual weight (mass) of the arrow that
      matters most to the question of handshock (in a well tillered bow). You
      lightened your arrows by a little when you shortened them and it may be
      that you now have them slightly underweight for the bow and they are not
      taking all it's energy away with them.

      *if it's so, I really do want to know about it.

      --
      Fritz
      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.