Re: Can I draw to another spot?

  • arturdubh
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 9, 2007
      I realize that I am a bit late in adding to this particular topic,
      but for the sake of the safety of every archer....

      I have seen what can happen when a bow is over-drawn, due to a too-
      short arrow -- I was not there to see it happen, but I did see the
      result; picture a modern recurve bow, with a hole through the handle
      portion, put there by the arrow as it left the string. Not merely a
      hole **in** the bow, but completely *****through***** it.

      Now consider what that would do to your hand or arm -- or the archer
      next to you.

      --Artúr

      --- In SCA-Archery@yahoogroups.com, Richard Yeager <chuymonstre@...>
      wrote:

      > I know this has caused some arguments on here in the past but I
      will weigh in anyway. If your draw-length is 32" make absolutely
      certain that the bow you get (whether you build or buy) is tillered
      to draw that far. Fiberglass backed bows are more forgiving, but
      even those will have problems if they were tillered to 28". The
      concern about having arrows too short (and putting one through your
      hand) is a real concern. So is the damage that you can do to a bow
      by overdrawing. Most of the wooden longbows you will commonly find
      are tillered to 28'. A four inch overdraw can be incredibly ugly to
      the person holding what is left of the bow and anyone within range of
      what comes apart.