Re: [SCA-Archery] Rem Acu

  • Fritz
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
      When John edgerton put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 12:39 AM...

      > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
      > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
      > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
      > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
      > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
      > read Plautus.

      "They had it, they might have used it."
      I like it, a nice change from: "If they had had it, they'd have used it."

      :)

      --
      Fritz
      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
        Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what was going on.

        Charles O'Connor

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
          Is it possible to upload that woodcut in the files section?
          Richard

          In a message dated 12/6/07 9:46:38 AM, jphughessr@... writes:

          > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia
          > right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with
          > a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what
          > was going on.
          >
          > Charles O'Connor

        • John edgerton
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
            The crossbow man was a special assistant to the director. If an
            actor blew their lines, he shot them.

            Jon

            On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:46 AM, J. Hughes wrote:

            > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
            > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing
            > a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
            > anything to know more about what was going on.
            >
            > Charles O'Connor

          • Fritz
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
              When J. Hughes put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 9:46 AM...

              > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
              > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a
              > comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
              > anything to know more about what was going on.
              >
              > Charles O'Connor

              And I play with i Sebastiani and am wildly curious about this woodcut.