Re: [SCA-Archery] Rem Acu

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
      I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
      Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
      archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
      even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
      archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
      read Plautus.

      Jon

      On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

      > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
      >
      > *Rem Acu.
      > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
      > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
      > white, or the bull's-eye.
      > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
      > chap. xvi
      >
      > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
      > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
      > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
      > use
      > "You have hit the nail on the head".
      >
      > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
      > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
      >
      > -EA

    • James of the Lake
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
        I thought the phrase might appear in Shakespeare somewhere, but
        Bartleby.com has

        1) 2091. John Fletcher. 1579-1625. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
        Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
        ...NUMBER: 2091 AUTHOR: John Fletcher (1579–1625) QUOTATION: Hit the
        nail on the head. ATTRIBUTION: Love s Cure. Act ii. Sc. 1....
        2) 9233. François Rabelais. c. 1490-1553. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
        Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
        ...NUMBER: 9233 AUTHOR: François Rabelais (c. 1490–1553) QUOTATION:
        You have there hit the nail on the head. 1 ATTRIBUTION: Works. Book
        iii. Chap. xxxiv. Note 1. See...

        James

        jotl@...

        On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:39 PM, John edgerton wrote:

        > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
        > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
        > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
        > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
        > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
        > read Plautus.
        >
        > Jon
        >
        > On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
        >

        >> E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
        >>
        >> *Rem Acu.
        >> * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
        >> tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
        >> white, or the bull's-eye.
        >> "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
        >> chap. xvi
        >>
        >> Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
        >> touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
        >> touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
        >> use
        >> "You have hit the nail on the head".
        >>
        >> Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
        >> the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
        >>
        >> -EA

      • Fritz
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
          When John edgerton put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 12:39 AM...

          > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
          > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
          > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
          > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
          > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
          > read Plautus.

          "They had it, they might have used it."
          I like it, a nice change from: "If they had had it, they'd have used it."

          :)

          --
          Fritz
          Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
            Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what was going on.

            Charles O'Connor

            Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
            it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
            the nail on the head".

            I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
            for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.

            Thanks for posting this!

            James
            jotl@ridgecrest. ca.us

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
              Is it possible to upload that woodcut in the files section?
              Richard

              In a message dated 12/6/07 9:46:38 AM, jphughessr@... writes:

              > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia
              > right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with
              > a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what
              > was going on.
              >
              > Charles O'Connor

            • John edgerton
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                The crossbow man was a special assistant to the director. If an
                actor blew their lines, he shot them.

                Jon

                On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:46 AM, J. Hughes wrote:

                > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing
                > a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                > anything to know more about what was going on.
                >
                > Charles O'Connor

              • Fritz
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                  When J. Hughes put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 9:46 AM...

                  > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                  > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a
                  > comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                  > anything to know more about what was going on.
                  >
                  > Charles O'Connor

                  And I play with i Sebastiani and am wildly curious about this woodcut.