Re: [SCA-Archery] Rem Acu

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
      Since it says to "hit the white ...." it would likely to have been
      in use before the gold center became common. So it could well be in
      period for SCAS archery usage.

      Thanks for posting this.

      Jon

      On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

      > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
      >
      > *Rem Acu.
      > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
      > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
      > white, or the bull's-eye.
      > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
      > chap. xvi
      >
      > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
      > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
      > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
      > use
      > "You have hit the nail on the head".
      >
      > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
      > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
      >
      > -EA

    • Eadric Anstapa
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
        James of the Lake wrote:
        > Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
        > it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
        > the nail on the head".

        I think it's a phrase we SCA Archers should try and revive.
        > I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
        > for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.

        The phrase is "Rem acu tetigisti." is commonly attributed to the comedy
        "Rudens" by Plautus

        I find "Tetigisti acu" in Rudens, Act V, Scene 2, line 19
        http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0046&query=scene%3D%2328

        Evidently "rem acu tetigisti" also appears in a 1528 work by theologian
        Erasmus.
        http://big.chez.com/asklepios/erasmus/pronuntiatione.htm

        I cant find were it is first attributed as a phrase used by archers.
        The Brewers first edition relates "Rem Acu" as a phrase use by archers.

        The RAF 10th Squadron has "Rem acu tangere" (To hit the mark) as their
        motto on a badge granted by HRH King George VI in September 1937. The
        badge and motto was reportedly designed by Wg Cdr Whitelock while
        watching archery practice in Oxford. The badge sports a winged arrow as
        Whitelock thought that the bombs of his era were to his army the
        equivalent of the medieval war arrow to the armies of the longbow
        period. Evidently the 10th Squadron was disbanded in 2005.

        Regards,

        -EA
      • James of the Lake
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
          Yeah. I just found it there myself, the "Tetigisti acu." phrase, as
          offered at

          http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/plautus/rudens.shtml

          on line 1306.

          Peter L. Smith's translation also offers the phrase as "You've the
          nail Upon the head."

          Thanks much for the 16thC reference, too.

          James
          jotl@...

          On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

          > James of the Lake wrote:
          >> Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
          >> it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
          >> the nail on the head".
          >>

          > I think it's a phrase we SCA Archers should try and revive.
          >> I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
          >> for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.
          >>

          > The phrase is "Rem acu tetigisti." is commonly attributed to the
          > comedy
          > "Rudens" by Plautus
          >
          > I find "Tetigisti acu" in Rudens, Act V, Scene 2, line 19
          > http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%
          > 3A1999.02.0046&query=scene%3D%2328
          >
          > Evidently "rem acu tetigisti" also appears in a 1528 work by
          > theologian
          > Erasmus.
          > http://big.chez.com/asklepios/erasmus/pronuntiatione.htm
          >
          > I cant find were it is first attributed as a phrase used by archers.
          > The Brewers first edition relates "Rem Acu" as a phrase use by
          > archers.
          >
          > The RAF 10th Squadron has "Rem acu tangere" (To hit the mark) as their
          > motto on a badge granted by HRH King George VI in September 1937. The
          > badge and motto was reportedly designed by Wg Cdr Whitelock while
          > watching archery practice in Oxford. The badge sports a winged
          > arrow as
          > Whitelock thought that the bombs of his era were to his army the
          > equivalent of the medieval war arrow to the armies of the longbow
          > period. Evidently the 10th Squadron was disbanded in 2005.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > -EA
          >

          > --

        • James of the Lake
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
            "You've *hit* the nail Upon the head." of course.

            James

            On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:04 PM, James of the Lake wrote:

            > Peter L. Smith's translation also offers the phrase as "You've the
            > nail Upon the head."
            >

            > James
            > jotl@...

          • John edgerton
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
              I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
              Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
              archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
              even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
              archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
              read Plautus.

              Jon

              On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

              > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
              >
              > *Rem Acu.
              > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
              > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
              > white, or the bull's-eye.
              > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
              > chap. xvi
              >
              > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
              > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
              > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
              > use
              > "You have hit the nail on the head".
              >
              > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
              > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
              >
              > -EA

            • James of the Lake
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                I thought the phrase might appear in Shakespeare somewhere, but
                Bartleby.com has

                1) 2091. John Fletcher. 1579-1625. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
                Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
                ...NUMBER: 2091 AUTHOR: John Fletcher (1579–1625) QUOTATION: Hit the
                nail on the head. ATTRIBUTION: Love s Cure. Act ii. Sc. 1....
                2) 9233. François Rabelais. c. 1490-1553. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
                Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
                ...NUMBER: 9233 AUTHOR: François Rabelais (c. 1490–1553) QUOTATION:
                You have there hit the nail on the head. 1 ATTRIBUTION: Works. Book
                iii. Chap. xxxiv. Note 1. See...

                James

                jotl@...

                On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:39 PM, John edgerton wrote:

                > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
                > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
                > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
                > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
                > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
                > read Plautus.
                >
                > Jon
                >
                > On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
                >

                >> E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
                >>
                >> *Rem Acu.
                >> * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
                >> tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
                >> white, or the bull's-eye.
                >> "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
                >> chap. xvi
                >>
                >> Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
                >> touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
                >> touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
                >> use
                >> "You have hit the nail on the head".
                >>
                >> Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
                >> the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
                >>
                >> -EA

              • Fritz
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                  When John edgerton put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 12:39 AM...

                  > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
                  > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
                  > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
                  > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
                  > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
                  > read Plautus.

                  "They had it, they might have used it."
                  I like it, a nice change from: "If they had had it, they'd have used it."

                  :)

                  --
                  Fritz
                  Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                    Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what was going on.

                    Charles O'Connor

                    Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
                    it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
                    the nail on the head".

                    I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
                    for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.

                    Thanks for posting this!

                    James
                    jotl@ridgecrest. ca.us

                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                      Is it possible to upload that woodcut in the files section?
                      Richard

                      In a message dated 12/6/07 9:46:38 AM, jphughessr@... writes:

                      > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia
                      > right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with
                      > a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what
                      > was going on.
                      >
                      > Charles O'Connor

                    • John edgerton
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                        The crossbow man was a special assistant to the director. If an
                        actor blew their lines, he shot them.

                        Jon

                        On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:46 AM, J. Hughes wrote:

                        > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                        > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing
                        > a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                        > anything to know more about what was going on.
                        >
                        > Charles O'Connor

                      • Fritz
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                          When J. Hughes put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 9:46 AM...

                          > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                          > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a
                          > comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                          > anything to know more about what was going on.
                          >
                          > Charles O'Connor

                          And I play with i Sebastiani and am wildly curious about this woodcut.