Rem Acu

  • Eadric Anstapa
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
      E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.

      *Rem Acu.
      * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
      tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
      white, or the bull's-eye.
      "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/ chap. xvi

      Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
      touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
      touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today use
      "You have hit the nail on the head".

      Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
      the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"

      -EA

    • James of the Lake
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
        Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
        it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
        the nail on the head".

        I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
        for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.

        Thanks for posting this!

        James
        jotl@...

        On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

        > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
        >
        > *Rem Acu.
        > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
        > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
        > white, or the bull's-eye.
        > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
        > chap. xvi
        >
        > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
        > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
        > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
        > use
        > "You have hit the nail on the head".
        >
        > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
        > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
        >
        > -EA

        > --

      • John edgerton
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
          Since it says to "hit the white ...." it would likely to have been
          in use before the gold center became common. So it could well be in
          period for SCAS archery usage.

          Thanks for posting this.

          Jon

          On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

          > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
          >
          > *Rem Acu.
          > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
          > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
          > white, or the bull's-eye.
          > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
          > chap. xvi
          >
          > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
          > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
          > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
          > use
          > "You have hit the nail on the head".
          >
          > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
          > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
          >
          > -EA

        • Eadric Anstapa
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
            James of the Lake wrote:
            > Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
            > it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
            > the nail on the head".

            I think it's a phrase we SCA Archers should try and revive.
            > I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
            > for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.

            The phrase is "Rem acu tetigisti." is commonly attributed to the comedy
            "Rudens" by Plautus

            I find "Tetigisti acu" in Rudens, Act V, Scene 2, line 19
            http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0046&query=scene%3D%2328

            Evidently "rem acu tetigisti" also appears in a 1528 work by theologian
            Erasmus.
            http://big.chez.com/asklepios/erasmus/pronuntiatione.htm

            I cant find were it is first attributed as a phrase used by archers.
            The Brewers first edition relates "Rem Acu" as a phrase use by archers.

            The RAF 10th Squadron has "Rem acu tangere" (To hit the mark) as their
            motto on a badge granted by HRH King George VI in September 1937. The
            badge and motto was reportedly designed by Wg Cdr Whitelock while
            watching archery practice in Oxford. The badge sports a winged arrow as
            Whitelock thought that the bombs of his era were to his army the
            equivalent of the medieval war arrow to the armies of the longbow
            period. Evidently the 10th Squadron was disbanded in 2005.

            Regards,

            -EA
          • James of the Lake
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
              Yeah. I just found it there myself, the "Tetigisti acu." phrase, as
              offered at

              http://www.thelatinlibrary.com/plautus/rudens.shtml

              on line 1306.

              Peter L. Smith's translation also offers the phrase as "You've the
              nail Upon the head."

              Thanks much for the 16thC reference, too.

              James
              jotl@...

              On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:49 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

              > James of the Lake wrote:
              >> Indeed. Apparently a fairly common Latin phrase. My Cassell's has
              >> it (under "acus", a needle, bodkin) as "acu rem tangere" -- "to hit
              >> the nail on the head".
              >>

              > I think it's a phrase we SCA Archers should try and revive.
              >> I've just been reading Plautus as it happens. I'll have to search
              >> for in which of his plays the phrase you have quoted occurs.
              >>

              > The phrase is "Rem acu tetigisti." is commonly attributed to the
              > comedy
              > "Rudens" by Plautus
              >
              > I find "Tetigisti acu" in Rudens, Act V, Scene 2, line 19
              > http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/cgi-bin/ptext?doc=Perseus%3Atext%
              > 3A1999.02.0046&query=scene%3D%2328
              >
              > Evidently "rem acu tetigisti" also appears in a 1528 work by
              > theologian
              > Erasmus.
              > http://big.chez.com/asklepios/erasmus/pronuntiatione.htm
              >
              > I cant find were it is first attributed as a phrase used by archers.
              > The Brewers first edition relates "Rem Acu" as a phrase use by
              > archers.
              >
              > The RAF 10th Squadron has "Rem acu tangere" (To hit the mark) as their
              > motto on a badge granted by HRH King George VI in September 1937. The
              > badge and motto was reportedly designed by Wg Cdr Whitelock while
              > watching archery practice in Oxford. The badge sports a winged
              > arrow as
              > Whitelock thought that the bombs of his era were to his army the
              > equivalent of the medieval war arrow to the armies of the longbow
              > period. Evidently the 10th Squadron was disbanded in 2005.
              >
              > Regards,
              >
              > -EA
              >

              > --

            • James of the Lake
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                "You've *hit* the nail Upon the head." of course.

                James

                On Dec 5, 2007, at 7:04 PM, James of the Lake wrote:

                > Peter L. Smith's translation also offers the phrase as "You've the
                > nail Upon the head."
                >

                > James
                > jotl@...

              • John edgerton
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                  I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
                  Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
                  archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
                  even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
                  archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
                  read Plautus.

                  Jon

                  On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:

                  > E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
                  >
                  > *Rem Acu.
                  > * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
                  > tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
                  > white, or the bull's-eye.
                  > "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
                  > chap. xvi
                  >
                  > Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
                  > touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
                  > touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
                  > use
                  > "You have hit the nail on the head".
                  >
                  > Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
                  > the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
                  >
                  > -EA

                • James of the Lake
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 5, 2007
                    I thought the phrase might appear in Shakespeare somewhere, but
                    Bartleby.com has

                    1) 2091. John Fletcher. 1579-1625. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
                    Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
                    ...NUMBER: 2091 AUTHOR: John Fletcher (1579–1625) QUOTATION: Hit the
                    nail on the head. ATTRIBUTION: Love s Cure. Act ii. Sc. 1....
                    2) 9233. François Rabelais. c. 1490-1553. Bartlett, John, comp. 1919.
                    Familiar Quotations, 10th ed.
                    ...NUMBER: 9233 AUTHOR: François Rabelais (c. 1490–1553) QUOTATION:
                    You have there hit the nail on the head. 1 ATTRIBUTION: Works. Book
                    iii. Chap. xxxiv. Note 1. See...

                    James

                    jotl@...

                    On Dec 5, 2007, at 9:39 PM, John edgerton wrote:

                    > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
                    > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
                    > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
                    > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
                    > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
                    > read Plautus.
                    >
                    > Jon
                    >
                    > On Dec 5, 2007, at 6:08 PM, Eadric Anstapa wrote:
                    >

                    >> E. Cobham Brewer 1810--1897. Dictionary of Phrase and Fable. 1898.
                    >>
                    >> *Rem Acu.
                    >> * You have hit the mark; you have hit the nail on the head. /Rem acu
                    >> tetigisti/ (Plautus). A phrase in archery, meaning, You have hit the
                    >> white, or the bull's-eye.
                    >> "'/Rem acu/ once again,' said Sir Piercie."---/The Monastery,/
                    >> chap. xvi
                    >>
                    >> Evidently the Latin /Rem acu tetigisti/ means most closely 'You have
                    >> touched it exactly' or 'You have touched it sharply' or 'You have
                    >> touched it with a needle' and used used the same way we might today
                    >> use
                    >> "You have hit the nail on the head".
                    >>
                    >> Evidently there was a time in English archery circles "Rem Acu" was
                    >> the equivalent of a fencer crying "touché"
                    >>
                    >> -EA

                  • Fritz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                      When John edgerton put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 12:39 AM...

                      > I posted the information on "rem acu" to the Society Of Archer-
                      > Antiquaries Forum and asked if anyone knew when it was used for
                      > archery. I think it would be great if it had period usage. But,
                      > even if it does not. I think it should be introduced into our SCA
                      > archery vocabulary. It could have been used in period by anyone that
                      > read Plautus.

                      "They had it, they might have used it."
                      I like it, a nice change from: "If they had had it, they'd have used it."

                      :)

                      --
                      Fritz
                      Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                        Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what was going on.

                        Charles O'Connor

                        jotl@ridgecrest. ca.us

                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                          Is it possible to upload that woodcut in the files section?
                          Richard

                          In a message dated 12/6/07 9:46:38 AM, jphughessr@... writes:

                          > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on comedia
                          > right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a comedia troop with
                          > a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost anything to know more about what
                          > was going on.
                          >
                          > Charles O'Connor

                        • John edgerton
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                            The crossbow man was a special assistant to the director. If an
                            actor blew their lines, he shot them.

                            Jon

                            On Dec 6, 2007, at 6:46 AM, J. Hughes wrote:

                            > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                            > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing
                            > a comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                            > anything to know more about what was going on.
                            >
                            > Charles O'Connor

                          • Fritz
                            Message 13 of 13 , Dec 6, 2007
                              When J. Hughes put fingers to keys it was 12/6/07 9:46 AM...

                              > Ok. An archer reading Pautus gets my attention. I am working on
                              > comedia right now and have come accross a woodcut of Brugel showing a
                              > comedia troop with a crossbowman on stage. I would give almost
                              > anything to know more about what was going on.
                              >
                              > Charles O'Connor

                              And I play with i Sebastiani and am wildly curious about this woodcut.