Re: [SCA-Archery] Greetings

  • John edgerton
    Message 1 of 33 , Dec 2, 2007
      In which kingdom do you live?

      Jon
      On Dec 2, 2007, at 10:04 PM, arturdubh wrote:

      > Greetings, everyone... My name (mundane, of course) is Art. I was once
      > a member of the SCA -- and may be again, sometime; finances, life,
      > that
      > sort of thing... Some of you may even know me already.
      >
      > I have had an interest in Archerie for a very long time, somewhere
      > around the neighbourhood of 30 years, but have been **actively**
      > engaged in it for only the past 15 years. I just thought it was high
      > time I joined this group's list, to learn that which I have not yet
      > learned and such. I probably won't be able to keep up with everything
      > right away, but I will be around from time to time. There's a lot of
      > catching up for me to do....
      >
      > --Artúr

    • Tim Filemyr
      Message 33 of 33 , Aug 16, 2009
        The technical aspects of archery can become a huge distraction if you let it. Unless you are prepared to overlook the vast compromises of period equipment it is almost more rewarding to simply shoot what you got and master its quirks and shortcommings... at least thats what they did in the olde days.

        That being said, too much fletch is generally better than too little,
        not enough spin is also better than too much (for those that fletch their own). Selecting the correct spine for your bow is probably the most important factor in predicting arrow flight.

        BTW, In the mundane world I shoot a FITA recurve and the many challenges of tuning that rig are almost always offset by the time lost not simply going out and practicing.